The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

10 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

KHL stats show that Artem was part of Avangard's '2nd 5 man unit'. Avangard won 4-0, but Manukyan was held pointless.

From Russian twitter, it sounds like he was active in the game (at least based off these dodgy Twitter translations):

“Semenov and Manukyan run forward-throw! Salak rolled and met”

“Manukyan robbed his opponent, drove behind the gate, passed on to Medvedev, but failed our captain to keep the puck in the zone. Start over”

“Semenov and Manukyan under the gate! Salak covers the washer”

“Were placed in a foreign zone. Manukyan dragged the puck, sketch! Fisenka in Padania, but in vain”

“But another dangerous moment immediately: Manukyan from close range threw-salak trap pulls out”

“Manukyan flees to someone else's zone, behind the gates drop his”

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

To be honest I have little hope of him coming here but it's definitely worth a gamble. He seems to be doing very well so far in preseason and his first couple games. If he can truly light up the KHL he may be tempted to give it a shot here. If he's a middling KHL forward I'm not sure he will ever get the opportunity here.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I was also surprised no one took a flyer on Adam Samuelsson. That kind of size, and NHL bloodlines, usually means there’ll be takers.

However, it’s possible the bloodlines were the exact reason he went undrafted. To put it rather bluntly: the Samuelssons can’t skate. At least not at the level required for today’s NHL.

Sure Ulf was a force in the old NHL, but he probably wouldn’t have made it far in today’s league with the kind of wheels he had (plus today’s rulebook).

And his sons?

Phillip was a 2nd rounder. He’s now a 27 year old AHLer with only 13 career NHL game played.

Henrik was a 1st round pick. He’s played 3 career NHL games and he’s now 24. He spent more of 2017-18 in the ECHL than the AHL.

Now we have Adam, and it looks like maybe NHL teams are just starting to get wise to the pattern.

The Samuelsson boys are all big and strong. They all have good hockey IQs and skills. But they all struggle with their skating. And the results, at least to date, appear that their careers pretty much top out at the AHL level in today’s game.

Good find, I might still give a look at Adam though once he hits free agency.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I was also surprised no one took a flyer on Adam Samuelsson. That kind of size, and NHL bloodlines, usually means there’ll be takers.

However, it’s possible the bloodlines were the exact reason he went undrafted. To put it rather bluntly: the Samuelssons can’t skate. At least not at the level required for today’s NHL.

Sure Ulf was a force in the old NHL, but he probably wouldn’t have made it far in today’s league with the kind of wheels he had (plus today’s rulebook).

And his sons?

Phillip was a 2nd rounder. He’s now a 27 year old AHLer with only 13 career NHL game played.

Henrik was a 1st round pick. He’s played 3 career NHL games and he’s now 24. He spent more of 2017-18 in the ECHL than the AHL.

Now we have Adam, and it looks like maybe NHL teams are just starting to get wise to the pattern.

The Samuelsson boys are all big and strong. They all have good hockey IQs and skills. But they all struggle with their skating. And the results, at least to date, appear that their careers pretty much top out at the AHL level in today’s game.

I feel that the flyer is better used trying to improve someone's skating rather than take the flyer on an undersized skill player in the KHL. It is a flyer taken either way I suppose. Will be interesting to see if a year under NCAA coaching will improve Samuellsons skating enough to get noticed as a college free agent down the road.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I feel that the flyer is better used trying to improve someone's skating rather than take the flyer on an undersized skill player in the KHL. It is a flyer taken either way I suppose. Will be interesting to see if a year under NCAA coaching will improve Samuellsons skating enough to get noticed as a college free agent down the road.

Your point is well taken. And I would not have been disappointed if we’d drafted Samuelsson with our 7th. But it does seem like we have a mantra at the draft table these days: speed and skill. JB repeats it often in those draft videos. And that’s the direction the Canucks seem to be going with most of their picks

It’s not a bad philosophy. When you hit on “speed and skill,” you can sometimes find top of the lineup players in later rounds. 

When you hit on size, with skating issues, you tend to get bottom of the lineup players.

Teams need both. But the latter tend to be easier acquired via the UDFA route (which may be the path Samuelsson eventually finds his way to the pros).

• Cheers 1