The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wondering why he isn't on the list of prospects coming to prospects camp.

Go check out Sid's latest post in the development camp thread - he's explained that the khl preseason actually starts quite soon and that Manukyan is likely focused on impressing his current team and trying to earn more ice time with them. A prudent choice.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Although he's not highlighted in these tweets, Manukyan compares favorably with those who are shown in these charts. The data was collected from players who played in the MHL in their draft years. 

Most notably, his "Even Strength Betweenness" is very comparable to Panarin even though his PPG is about half of Panarin's. Now, I'm not advanced stats expert and I had no idea what "Even Strength Betweenness" meant before I saw this tweet, but I understood it as it measures each player's influence on team scoring. If I'm interpreting the data correctly, that means that Manukyan and Panarin had roughly the same scoring influence for their respective MHL teams in their draft year. 

Manukyan's PPG also isn't too far off of Denisenko's while Manukyan had much better "Even Strength Betweenness." Keep in mind, Denisenko went 15th overall this year. 

Remember, Manukyan was first eligible for the 2016 draft, so this data is taken from the 2015-16 season. 

Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME can offer some insight into this advanced stats wizardry. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Although he's not highlighted in these tweets, Manukyan compares favorably with those who are shown in these charts. The data was collected from players who played in the MHL in their draft years. 

Most notably, his "Even Strength Betweenness" is very comparable to Panarin even though his PPG is about half of Panarin's. Now, I'm not advanced stats expert and I had no idea what "Even Strength Betweenness" meant before I saw this tweet, but I understood it as it measures each player's influence on team scoring. If I'm interpreting the data correctly, that means that Manukyan and Panarin had roughly the same scoring influence for their respective MHL teams in their draft year. 

Manukyan's PPG also isn't too far off of Denisenko's while Manukyan had much better "Even Strength Betweenness." Keep in mind, Denisenko went 15th overall this year. 

Remember, Manukyan was first eligible for the 2016 draft, so this data is taken from the 2015-16 season. 

Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME can offer some insight into this advanced stats wizardry. 

Look at Bulat Shafigullin! Dang he was one of my favourites with our 3rd round pick! Nice to see our guy test well!

I just noticed something. When viewing the Canucks' 2018 draft picks on Capfriendly, it says that we don't have a deadline to sign Manukyan. Rather, it says "indefinite" instead of a deadline. It says the same thing for Zukhenov still as well. 

I'm down for keeping his rights, FOREEEEEVVVVEEEERRR.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It sounds like network analysis applied to hockey.

Quick and dirty explanation: think of the game as a network, the players are “nodes” and the plays are the relationships or “edges” (connections) between the nodes.

If player represents a central node in the team scoring “network” with lots of connections to other nodes (the other players), then they would probably have a high “betweenness” value.

There’s probably a bit more to it than that, but I’d imagine that’s kinda the gist of this type of analysis.

EDIT: Found an article by the guy (Evan Oppenheimer) doing the analysis:

https://medium.com/@evanopp/whose-point-is-it-anyway-using-network-analysis-to-estimate-teammate-influence-in-hockey-scoring-e9fc97f26648

It's network analysis. Basically the same idea as what I said above, although he does a much better job explaining it and provides details as to how it works with hockey.

EDIT2: Have to laugh a bit at the guy being named Oppenheimer.

“Now I am become Death fancystats, the destroyer of worlds hockey.”

:P

Thanks for coming through as usual Sid. 

I guess my original interpretation was correct, but too general. So Manukyan and Panaring did indeed account for roughly the same amount of their team's offence even though Panarin's PPG was much higher. I like that.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the KHL next year. Hopefully he can be one of those prospects that explodes in 5 years while we still have his rights. 

I like how we're swinging for the fences with the 6th round pick. Definite boom or bust type players taken the last two drafts in Palmu and Manukyan. Add Jasek to the group of 6th round picks as well who's looking pretty good.

All these guys clearly have the skill, it's their work ethic that will most likely determine the rest.

I'd much rather go this route than try and comb the CHL for hidden gems like they did with Stukel and Pettit. Teams have went over these guys again and again in their scouting with the exposure they get. It's not too often they miss much. And players like this will much more likely be available as free agents in a couple years.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I like how we're swinging for the fences with the 6th round pick. Definite boom or bust type players taken the last two drafts in Palmu and Manukyan. Add Jasek to the group of 6th round picks as well who's looking pretty good.

All these guys clearly have the skill, it's their work ethic that will most likely determine the rest.

I'd much rather go this route than try and comb the CHL for hidden gems like they did with Stukel and Pettit. Teams have went over these guys again and again in their scouting with the exposure they get. It's not too often they miss much. And players like this will much more likely be available as free agents in a couple years.

The CHL is bargaining themselves into irrelevancy, teams are looking elsewhere for talent.

• Wat 1

Jim Robson called him the “Pride of Powell River”. I remember the Looooop chants at the old Pacific Coliseum and would always be reminded of him when the crowd went nuts for Luongo. Lupul died quite early I think, substance abuse issues. For not being drafted he was a fairly effective offensive contributor.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1