The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

10 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Jim Robson called him the “Pride of Powell River”. I remember the Looooop chants at the old Pacific Coliseum and would always be reminded of him when the crowd went nuts for Luongo. Lupul died quite early I think, substance abuse issues. For not being drafted he was a fairly effective offensive contributor.

He was a favourite around Vancouver, for sure.  I remember him buzzing around the ice along with the Looooooop chants as well.  It was so sad to hear of his death; especially that he was only 48yrs old.  RIP Loops.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I like how we're swinging for the fences with the 6th round pick. Definite boom or bust type players taken the last two drafts in Palmu and Manukyan. Add Jasek to the group of 6th round picks as well who's looking pretty good.

All these guys clearly have the skill, it's their work ethic that will most likely determine the rest.

I'd much rather go this route than try and comb the CHL for hidden gems like they did with Stukel and Pettit. Teams have went over these guys again and again in their scouting with the exposure they get. It's not too often they miss much. And players like this will much more likely be available as free agents in a couple years.

Palmu is certainly looking good . 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Manukyan started preseason action today. Sochi tournament. First game versus RoKi (a Finnish team that plays in Mestis). Game finished 3:1 for Avangard (1:0 game + 2:1 shootout).

Here are some really bad translations of Manukyan’s plays from the Avangard twitter feed:

“Manukyan brings his rivals to the center of the zone, throws himself on the goal-keeper on the spot”

“Manukyan through the middle zone sends a puck to Martynov, the one on the alien blue picks up, Petrov supports the attack...”

“Manukyan was cunningly throwing, but failed to outsmart the goalkeeper.

Finn Bobkova also doesn't punch”

• Haha 4

On 2018-07-19 at 6:47 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Maybe Manukyan will become our new Gary Lupul :)

See how many of you remember THAT name :P

Gary’s from my hometown. I didn’t know him myself but my old man was really good buddies with him. They lit up the town with Phil Housley and co once upon a time. 

I know his brother, and his dad before he passed a couple years back. His dad was a beauty, had some pretty great stories. 

• Cheers 3

On 2018-07-19 at 9:25 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Didn't Gary lupul get a hat trick in his first NHL game against the flyers? 

His big claim to fame according to my dad was he was Mario Lemieux’s first opponent in a scrap. I do believe he got his ass handed to him lol

Edited by GreyHatnDart

27 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

His big claim to fame according to my dad was he was Mario Lemieux’s first opponent in a scrap. I do believe he got his ass handed to him lol

I believe it was Lemieux's first home game, and he picked a fight with 5'6 Lupul in the first period.  Pretty low-class way to make a first impression.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

You’d likely know better than me, I was kneehigh to a grasshopper lol. 

There’s a link to the fight. Look at Garret jump in there like a bat out of hell. Must’ve heard Lemieux make fun of ketchup. 

Good ol Cheech!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-04 at 7:51 PM, GreyHatnDart said:

You’d likely know better than me, I was kneehigh to a grasshopper lol. 

There’s a link to the fight. Look at Garret jump in there like a bat out of hell. Must’ve heard Lemieux make fun of ketchup. 

I’m shocked Mario picked a fight, considering that tough guy (we traded Curt Fraser for) Toni Tanti was right there.  Made perfect sense to trade Fraser, when we had Lupul to take on that toughness role.  My God the Canucks have made some horrible trades!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m shocked Mario picked a fight, considering that tough guy (we traded Curt Fraser for) Toni Tanti was right there.  Made perfect sense to trade Fraser, when we had Lupul to take on that toughness role.  My God the Canucks have made some horrible trades!

I can't argue that the Canuck's have made some horrendous trades but Curt Fraser for Toni Tanti was not one of them. Vancouver had lots of players on the team to take on the other teams tough guys. Names from that era that come to mind are Harold Snepsts, Ron Delorme, Tiger Williams, Garth Butcher and Doug Halward. Toni Tanti went on to become a sniper with multiple 50 goal seasons. That was something the team desperately required at the time.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I can't argue that the Canuck's have made some horrendous trades but Curt Fraser for Toni Tanti was not one of them. Vancouver had lots of players on the team to take on the other teams tough guys. Names from that era that come to mind are Harold Snepsts, Ron Delorme, Tiger Williams, Garth Butcher and Doug Halward. Toni Tanti went on to become a sniper with multiple 50 goal seasons. That was something the team desperately required at the time.

I still have an old poster of Toni Tanti and Petri Striko that 7-11 gave out to anyone who bought gas back in the mid 80’s. I remember Stan Smyl was the hardest one to get. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you mean multiple 40 goal seasons, but yes he was a sniper that the team needed.

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I stand corrected. I thought he had a couple of 50's but in looking at his stats the closest he came was 49.

Wrong again.  The closest he got was 45 goals.  Three 40 goal seasons of 45,41, and 40.  

On 2018-08-18 at 7:44 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Tanti never had a fifty goal season outside of junior.  He was a pretty consistent 40 goal guy.  Fraser was a consistent  25 goal guy who won more fights with one punch than any Canuck I can remember.  Still a good trade for the Canucks, though.  The next year they picked up a guy by the name of Cam Neely that was pretty tough too.  Now that one was an awful trade!

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

In my opinion, the Cam Neely trade goes down as the worst trade they have ever made hands down!

In retrospect, for sure.  It wasn't at the time when you consider that Barry Petterson was a high scoring Center and Glen Wesley (3rd overall pick in '87) turned out to be a very good dman.  On paper, it looked like a really good trade.

BPs health was questionable, but he had put up good #s the season after his surgery.  Trading Wesley for crap was really bad. In the end, it was really bad luck with BPs health and an uniformed decision not to keep Wesley.