The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

14 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Seider wouldn't necessarily be an off the board pick but it would be a bold one. 

its a job risk pick for Jim, it would have to pay off right away. Any indication he could play here next season? 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its a job risk pick for Jim, it would have to pay off right away. Any indication he could play here next season? 

Why would it need to pay off right away? But to answer your question, I believe coming from a Euro league, he could join Utica (or the Canucks) immediately if he chooses to and earns a spot.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's a hard prospect to gather information about - although dobberprospects has a pretty good write-up about him, and it's hard to find things not to like about him. He probably wouldn't be able to step in right away, but he's definitely got the upper hand on most of the other draft-eligibles.

He also fills a need, and has that top-4 skillset/upside. And he's a righty of course. AND he's a very big body.

34 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He's a hard prospect to gather information about - although dobberprospects has a pretty good write-up about him, and it's hard to find things not to like about him. He probably wouldn't be able to step in right away, but he's definitely got the upper hand on most of the other draft-eligibles.

He also fills a need, and has that top-4 skillset/upside. And he's a righty of course. AND he's a very big body.

dunno... our euro scouts would have to be very very high on him. Or just high. 

It massively bothers me how year after year how massively overrated skating ability, or lack thereof is. Time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again players prove that you do not need even "good" skating to be successful in the NHL. Hello?? the Canucks this year has 3 god damn examples. 

Bo was a terrible skater, look where he is now. Brock is by all means an average skater at best, and yet he's a top line player. Schenn skates in mud and yet he's still able to be extremely effective in his specific role. If you're a good player skating is absolutely the least "necessary attribute" you need to be successful.

You can't teach IQ, you can't teach pure natural talent, you can't teach high end playmaking, you can't teach elite goal scoring...you know what is something that CAN be taught? That can be learned? That our future captain himself improved? Skating.

Enough with the skating garbage please. 

As far as who we pick there is guaranteed to be at least one player most people thought would be long gone by 10 that drops, which is what makes picking in this area unpredictable. You could mock all you want where guys are supposed to go but there will be someone unexpected there on draft day.

Edited by Wilfred
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, Grape said:

Haha yeah I don't think I would change my mind. I'm gonna counter your Virtanen argument by saying Cody Hodgson. And Cody's not even in the league in large part due to skating.

I never thought of whoever - EP - BB as necessarily dynamic, just like I never considered the Sedins dynamic. They're both dominant lines but I think EP and BB are better served with a really good skating winger.

Hodgson isn’t and hasn’t been in the league primarly because of a crazy genetic disorder and he struggled as well with being a 2Way Centre though, not primarly because of his skating.

yea we just aren’t gonna get anywhere, we see things different and use words differently.

respect your opinion/view and thanks for the discussion! 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think durability should be a factor for who we pick. Its the Canucks so of course their going to get hurt, but how much games missed is a big question?

I think this should be a big factor for free agent signings even more so

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Getting Byram would be a coup in many regards, but at what cost?  I don't want to lose Demko to have him become the goalie he could be.  

Personally I dont like the idea of trading up.  It is too costly, risky etc... 

Someone else floated the idea of moving the 10th pick for Trouba.  That is more appealing to me, but we would be in the mix with Edmonton looking to do the exact same thing.  

IMO this deal could make sense for both clubs.  Chris Tanev, our 10th for Jacob Trouba and the jets 1st, likely a 30th OA.  

Tanev fills in a depth role on a very reasonable contract, Myers can resign in the Peg and the Jets would have a very veteran solid defence.  

If JB makes a deal for our pick, I would like to see an immediate team need addressed.  

Good post. I agree with you totally about the idea of getting a top 4 young D for the 10th overall. 

But isn't the word on Trouba that he didn't want to play in Canada or the West?

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think I have done just about as much research as I think I can do at this point im just sea sawing back and forth on guys. I either want that super high cieling guy we may have to wait a bit to cook. Boldy high IQ goalscorer, Newhook elite speed or someone close to making the jump to the NHL Lavoi who can start out contributing in our bottom 6 and mature into a top 6 PWF.   If its a D JB is locked on I want Sieder who could mature into our Trouba/ Dumba. Soderstrom to me is a middle pairing D a very good one but I don't see him as a complement to Hughes going fwd.  

I'm going to be watching Krebs and Newhook closely in the upcoming U18. Possibly Krebs changes my mind on him but as of right now too many things worry me about him. It will be good to see how he performs on a better team. I think he's worn down from trying to do it all on his crappy team that he seems to make a lot of errors that are costly. Possibly on a better team he can excel as a complementary player instead of trying to be everywhere on the ice and giving up odd man rushes.

After reading your post I went and read up on Seider. Man o man...I really like the sounds of getting this 17 year old D who is already 6'4" 198. Has physicality in his game.  Very very intriguing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

After reading your post I went and read up on Seider. Man o man...I really like the sounds of getting this 17 year old D who is already 6'4" 198. Has physicality in his game.  Very very intriguing. 

I like the sounds of Seidel too, but wish he was playing in the CHL.  I’d the league he’s in now any good?

5 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

Soderstrom or Seider.

... Or somehow manage to snag another first and take both?...

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Soderstrom.

Damn...

That'd be frickin awesome. Some size and skill.

Not sure we could do it but man that would be cool. But would be awhile before the 2 were NHL ready.

2 hours ago, Isam said:

His skill set for someone so young is very unique. It is very rare to see someone that size do what he can do in the offensive zone while being such a force in the defensive zone. His gap control is off the charts for a young fellow defending against alot of former nhlers and ahlers. I personally have this kid ranked higher then soderstrom just on the physical upside alone. 

Ok, color me intrigued. I'll have to learn more about him.

• Upvote 1