The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Honka has been relatively quiet ever since his explosive first game. A good showing at the WJC would go a long way in improving his draft stock.

Kakko's style of play is really, really enticing. Putting him on a line with Pettersson would be absolutely dynamite.

Of course, J. Hughes is absolutely obliterating all who stand in his way so far. It'll be fun to watch him at the WJC.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honka has been relatively quiet ever since his explosive first game. A good showing at the WJC would go a long way in improving his draft stock.

Kakko's style of play is really, really enticing. Putting him on a line with Pettersson would be absolutely dynamite.

Of course, J. Hughes is absolutely obliterating all who stand in his way so far. It'll be fun to watch him at the WJC.

Honka has been quiet since he has been demoted from the top pairing at jyp

Who is everyone liking in the 10-20 range? Someone mentioned him before but I like Kaedan Korczak around there. I am a little surprised he wasn't listed in the top 30 consolidated but I'm positive he will be there by the end of the year. R shot D man that is putting up points with Kelowna. 

• Upvote 1

If we're drafting around the 8-20th range, Philip Broberg (6'3 200lbs) puck moving defenseman could be a very solid option. 

Kid turned 17 in July, could very well grow to 6'4 or 6'5. Would love to add a big defenseman with a booming shot that can skate like the wind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If we're drafting around the 8-20th range, Philip Broberg (6'3 200lbs) puck moving defenseman could be a very solid option. 

Kid turned 17 in July, could very well grow to 6'4 or 6'5. Would love to add a big defenseman with a booming shot that can skate like the wind.

I like him as well but I don't know if he would fit into our future D core very well. We are basically set on LD where as we really need some help on the right side.

Victor Soderstrom is the guy I think we need to target. Mobile puck moving defensemen that may be slightly undersized but that doesn't stop him from playing physical.

Would fit very nicely as a good offensive RD piece.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Soderstrom

Hutton-Stecher

Would be a mobile top 6 with a few smaller guys but also some size. Would be a beauty to trade Edler or Sutter (or both) for another first this year.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like him as well but I don't know if he would fit into our future D core very well. We are basically set on LD where as we really need some help on the right side.

Victor Soderstrom is the guy I think we need to target. Mobile puck moving defensemen that may be slightly undersized but that doesn't stop him from playing physical.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Soderstrom

Hutton-Stecher

Would be a mobile top 6 with a few smaller guys but also some size. Would be a beauty to trade Edler or Sutter (or both) for another first this year.

I know, I wish he was a RD. Big, mobile, puck moving defenseman with a booming shot is definitely nice. Huge fan of going after Tyler Myers this off-season.

One things for sure is that there are a crapton of centers this draft. We've got Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette down the middle for the foreseeable future. We should focus on drafting a winger, preferably a LW, or again a  right handed, puck moving defenseman (preferably with size).

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TGokou said:

Who is everyone liking in the 10-20 range? Someone mentioned him before but I like Kaedan Korczak around there. I am a little surprised he wasn't listed in the top 30 consolidated but I'm positive he will be there by the end of the year. R shot D man that is putting up points with Kelowna. 

Boldy, Honka and Broberg for me in that 10-20 range!

14 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Soderstrom

Hutton-Stecher

Broberg can play the right side. Like soderstrom, but not sold on him going in the 10 to 20 range. Right now if i am picking i would go with boldy, zegras, newhook or cam york.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

With Bo and Pettersson filling the middle spots, what is our big draft need?

we need a winger for Pettersson and obviously more top end dmen.  

I haven’t payed much attention to this class yet.  

If we pick between 7-15, who looks good?

Boldy and Zegras from the usndtp. Kaliyev from the hailton bulldogs is another player to watch. Then there are the usual suspects like suzuki and krebs.

Who would have thought at the end of last season, that we'd be talking about drafting as low as 20th in the 2019 draft.

There's still plenty of time to fall apart, but we've already hit the massive injury bug and, we haven't fallen apart.

Maybe that depth thing, is starting to kick in for us.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:12 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Boldy, Honka and Broberg for me in that 10-20 range!

Right now i wouldnt touch honka with a ten foot pole. Yes he has played good at the four nations, but has been turnstiled multiple times at jyp. If he wants to get his draft stock up back into that range then he should seriously think about coming to north america.

Edited by Isam

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bobby Brink (LW/RW, Sioux City. USHL) has got to be a riser right now. Has been tearing up the USHL this month (has already two hat tricks in Noverber IIRC) and now has 26 points (11G 15A) in 15 games. Those are great numbers for a 17 year old in the USHL (we're talking top-20 all time U18 points per game level). He's actually the league co-leading scorer in the USHL rights now, and he's scoring at a better pace than guys like Boeser, Gaudreau, and Connor did as top non-USNTDP players at the USHL level in their draft years. Plus Brink is one of the younger kids in the draft, with a July birthday. Stats-wise, and even with league-to-league QoC considerations, his numbers should put him right there with many of this draft's top names from the CHL, USNTDP, and Europe. I haven't seen Brink break into the top-31 on any of the services yet, but only seems a matter of time before he gets some potential first rounder hype, if he keeps scoring at this rate. Haven't seen much in the way of scouting reports yet either, but from what I have seen, he's a little undersized (5'10"), maybe a bit raw, and has somewhat mixed reviews on his skating (apparently needs a little fine tuning), but this kid can really rip the puck, has top quality scorer's instincts, strong puck skills, and also plays a solid two-way game.

Great post Sid as always...... much appreciated!