The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

13 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Can never have too many good centres. The most valuable positions in terms of trade value are centreman and defenseman. Also most teams run natural centres on the wings with at least 1-2 players for in game depth and face off advantages.

i agree though that we have more of a need for top defenseman and another scoring winger.

I agree we need centre depth as we become stanley cup competitors, but we definitely need to draft defensemen at the moment so they have time to develop. As of now you can only write about 3 names 24 and under that will be NHL defenders for us. Hughes, Juolevi and Stecher.

Hughes-_____

Juolevi-_____

_______-Stecher

Potential LD                     Potential RD

Rathbone                         Woo

McEneny                         Chatfield

Sautner                            Brassard

Brisebois

Tryamkin

Utunen

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Depends what happens?

Boeser can return to form. The, with him and Pettersson firing. Bo is quietly having an excellent season. We might find ourselves 10th. Really firing, 15th? Its the territory where the RHD are around. 

Hmmm, something to that?

Am I the only one who thinks Jack Hughes isn't that good? He is a really good skater but his shot isn't that great and his visions and hands aint that great either. I kind of see him as a second line winger more than a center. He reminds me of Teemu Terraveinen (however his name was spelled) like a good player but not one where you build a team around. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

32 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Am I the only one who thinks Jack Hughes isn't that good? He is a really good skater but his shot isn't that great and his visions and hands aint that great either. I kind of see him as a second line winger more than a center. He reminds me of Teemu Terraveinen (however his name was spelled) like a good player but not one where you build a team around. 

I think he is very good but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't get him. There are a lot of guys to get excited about in this draft.

39 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Lol what?! So much about your post is cringe inducing.

Great skater, his vision and IQ are next level....hands also really good. He plays much like Patrick Kane. What on earth are you talking about? haha.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I think he is very good but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't get him. There are a lot of guys to get excited about in this draft.

Looks like a very good draft class this year! Would love to get another first rounder in a trade. Potential guys that should be worth a 1st at the trade deadline are Edler, Tanev and Sutter. I could easily see Sutter traded and then one of Edler(prefer) or Tanev. 

Trade Sutter and Edler and we should have 4 picks in the top 45 which would be huge for our future!

On 12/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Not sure why we need another centre with Pettersson, Horvat guaranteed in our top 6 and then other promising centres Gaudette and Madden playing really well. 

If anything we should go after a large tough centre that can skate in the later rounds that can centre our line 4 C and be a shutdown tough guy.

IMO you draft Best player/highest ceiling/potential. Its easy to find guys to play in your bottom 6. free agency

3 hours ago, runtzguy said:

I feel like you will change your mind in about 3 weeks.

5 hours ago, runtzguy said:

I think he is great, just not the best OR the second best in that top ten.

12 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Well its a moot point for us, since Hughes or no Hughes, our team is going to be built around EP, not JH, even if we get JH :)

So far i think the comparisons with Patty Kane, atleast stylistically, holds out. And like Patty Kane, he may take several seasons to achieve elite production stats.. 

I hope Mr Benning can continue to do his thing at the LOTTO DRAFT,he has proven to be a great judge of skill and if we ever get some luck at that STUPID draft system we could really go places.

A great pick of a 1,2, or 3 player could seriously help our rebuild,a great defense man would be on my list of must haves, as well,after best player available of course.

Could you imagine having a legit NORRIS TROPHY DEFENSE MAN, in the mix.

Well one can only dream of such things because in almost fifty years we have been shut out of said defense man and a first overall pick also.

WE ARE DUE!

17 hours ago, runtzguy said:

What have you watched to build this opinion? 

Have you ever watched him play a full game? 

Just wait till world jrs.. you will see

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I hope Mr Benning can continue to do his thing at the LOTTO DRAFT,he has proven to be a great judge of skill and if we ever get some luck at that STUPID draft system we could really go places.

A great pick of a 1,2, or 3 player could seriously help our rebuild,a great defense man would be on my list of must haves, as well,after best player available of course.

Could you imagine having a legit NORRIS TROPHY DEFENSE MAN, in the mix.

Well one can only dream of such things because in almost fifty years we have been shut out of said defense man and a first overall pick also.

WE ARE DUE!

This draft is weak on defensemen, the only player that can probably be that guy is Bowen Byram and he doesnt likely go top 3. I have Hughes, Kakko, and Dach going top three as of now. 

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This draft is weak on defensemen, the only player that can probably be that guy is Bowen Byram and he doesnt likely go top 3. I have Hughes, Kakko, and Dach going top three as of now. 

There may not be a lot of defensemen but we only need one. Praying to get another first rounder so that we have the potential to get one along with a top end forward with our pick.

Just imagine a draft where we draft Kakko with our pick, Soderstrom with a mid first and Seider with an early 2nd.

• Cheers 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Not sure why we need another centre with Pettersson, Horvat guaranteed in our top 6 and then other promising centres Gaudette and Madden playing really well. 

If anything we should go after a large tough centre that can skate in the later rounds that can centre our line 4 C and be a shutdown tough guy.

Depends how good is the centre?  

And what else is available at the time you pick 'em.  Would you pick Soderstrom over, say Kirby Dach…  A big power centre? Said by among the biggest advocates of drafting D.

I could be wrong?  So far I see two overwhelmingly common hockey denominators in Bennings later picks. Speed number one. See Utunen, Madden Zukunov, Gaudette, Palmu, Jasek, Manukyan, Tryamkin.  And work rate #2, play with soul. Put your nose into it sorta guys. He picked Tryamkin for speed and size.  I could see a large centre someday soon as well?   I've never once nailed his later picks.  Maybe this year?

He's also picked a few over agers in later rounds. Tri Cities Kristof Hrabik might be next. That big defensive pivot in round 4 or 5? He scored against us. As a camp invite by the Jets last young stars. He went undrafted. Has played the Hlinka and WJC's for the Czech republic. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/236308/krystof-hrabik

Edited by Canuck Surfer

On 12/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Maybe a guy like Will Francis 

6'4 , 201pounds, can fight, another USA hockey product

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

There may not be a lot of defensemen but we only need one. Praying to get another first rounder so that we have the potential to get one along with a top end forward with our pick.

Just imagine a draft where we draft Kakko with our pick, Soderstrom with a mid first and Seider with an early 2nd.

I was young and full of dreams once myself...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Depends how good is the centre?  

And what else is available at the time you pick 'em.  Would you pick Soderstrom over, say Kirby Dach…  A big power centre? Said by among the biggest advocates of drafting D.

I could be wrong?  So far I see two overwhelmingly common hockey denominators in Bennings later picks. Speed number one. See Utunen, Madden Zukunov, Gaudette, Palmu, Jasek, Manukyan, Tryamkin.  And work rate #2, play with soul. Put your nose into it sorta guys. He picked Tryamkin for speed and size.  I could see a large centre someday soon as well?   I've never once nailed his later picks.  Maybe this year?

He's also picked a few over agers in later rounds. Tri Cities Kristof Hrabik might be next. That big defensive pivot in round 4 or 5? He scored against us. As a camp invite by the Jets last young stars. He went undrafted. Has played the Hlinka and WJC's for the Czech republic. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/236308/krystof-hrabik

I mean it all depends on where you end up on the draft list but this year Id be willing to trade down for a D if need be.

Not sure about his skating but maybe target a guy like Logan Barlage.