The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Krebs was my guy, but this achilles injury has me scared. I'd hate to draft a guy that has Forsberg level foot problems. Forwards are still my preference, shame Krebs isn't good to go. 

Me too.  On to Broberg vs Sieder.  From a few posts, Broberg is a crazy good skater, LHD, whereas Sieder is a blue chip RHD.  

1 hour ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Tuch is on a great contract, don't think he's the guy Vegas would be willing to move. If they're looking for cap relief, doesn't make sense to trade one of the best value deals they have going.

Keep in mind that they would be trading him for a player that is still on an ELC and is not waiver eligible.  This gives Vegas the opportunity to eliminate Tuch's entire salary($4.75m) off their cap and gain a future player at the same time.  All the other big contracts have restricted contracts and they still need to find a way to sign Karlsson and Subban. 

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well in fairness, he's also made bad decisions on all fronts. 

There's definitely pressure this summer to improve the team. Our lack of assets is a problem trade wise, but hopefully Jim can pull another rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Guddy/Pearson trade. 

I think that's mostly something that's been whipped up by media and fans.  Truly, he's been pretty middle of the road on all fronts, aside from drafting (which I think most agree is pretty solid) and has yet to make a big move..........good or bad.

No move he's made, Eriksson included, has had a huge impact one way or the other and he's played it very safe, focusing on drafting and treading water until the twins were gone. Now he's got some depth and cap space to work with and one way or another, he'll put his mark on the organization this summer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Anyone else completely worried about jimbo and all these names that are surfacing ? Lucic, zaitsev, all the cap space he has scares me as well.

Only armchair GMs who have delusions of competence. Anyone who thinks JB is stupid enough to execute one of the silly trade ideas that are floating around is projecting.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Krebs was my guy, but this achilles injury has me scared. I'd hate to draft a guy that has Forsberg level foot problems. Forwards are still my preference, shame Krebs isn't good to go. 

I feel exactly the same way. It be nice if we know the severity of it.  This type of injury requires six months so he may be out until January.

What makes it even worse for the Nucks, is that Krebs was one of the guys they were looking at.  Now it will be like they're 11th overall with Krebs dropping out of the top 10.  I'm still hoping for one of Zegras, Cozens, Boldy, Dach or Podk to drop to 10th.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

Could you please give us a few examples of these “ Bad decisions on all fronts “ 

I am a JB supporter. But really? 

You don't know that JB has signed some poor UFA contracts like Loui and others?

You don't know that JB made some bad trades such as guddy and others?

You don't know that JB didn't draft the best prospect every single draft such as MT?

JB has done a lot of good for this franchise. But don't pretend he has not also made lots of mistakes or choices that turned out to be pretty bad. :picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's mostly something that's been whipped up by media and fans.  Truly, he's been pretty middle of the road on all fronts, aside from drafting (which I think most agree is pretty solid) and has yet to make a big move..........good or bad.

No move he's made, Eriksson included, has had a huge impact one way or the other and he's played it very safe, focusing on drafting and treading water until the twins were gone. Now he's got some depth and cap space to work with and one way or another, he'll put his mark on the organization this summer.

I'd argue the Gudbranson trade & not trading Tanev when he had good value has made a big impact. Could have another young player on this team right now pushing with our young core.

The pushing for the playoffs plan, when we were a bottom feeder, was a mistake in the rebuilding process.

Now we are lacking assets at a time when we need to start making some big steps. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If Ottawa doesn’t want LE,  I think that will exhaust all our options, and I don’t see them giving up any picks or young talent to get him. 

I’m sure that JB liked Cody Glass too in that draft. Btw that comment that you’re referring to was a general statement I felt like because he was talking about liking 2-3 players at 5, and about 4-5 and no. 10. 

Might turn out to be a draft day deal though, agreed on that point. 

If Ottawa doesn't want LE, there still may be teams that are willing to take on a players whose salary is half of their cap anyway. Much more likely than a guy that is also not producing, much slower, has an extra year and paying the full salary. Personally I wouldn't even be looking for picks/prospects. I'd look into Zack Smith who they waived last year hoping someone would take his salary off the team. LE would actually cost about the same and maybe less salary-wise while doubling the cap. Smith would add the toughness we are looking from Lucic without being an anchor of a contract. We may have to add a bit more, but it'll be minor. I might even look into something involving Bobby Ryan too (and to further it, I'd like to add Ceci as well).

Cody Glass isn't a bad prospect. We just need to pick the BPA is our spot. If a better player is picked before us, then that's that. In the same breath, I could say that Hughes fell to us and we would've wasted assets (or taken on an anchor) to move up to 5th for example to pick him (considering apparently we had him ranked 3rd in the draft).

So it's hard to say how things play out in the draft. We would have to feel like the player available at 8th would be a significant upgrade over 10th to make this move. But I personally don't see a whole lot of difference amongst the supposed grouping of players in that range either. So unless it's like a Byram falling to 8th, it will still more for me to make that move (but I'm no professional scout).

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If u have to pick btw Newhook and Krebs, who do you go for?  

Personally, after watching a lot of Newhook I'm officially sold on him.  Seems like a very mature young man too

I think I would've pick Krebs, but with his recent injury (not sure the success rate of recovery from a cut Achilles), I'm a bit worried about his status. I'm not 100% sold on Newhook either though (I'm only projecting him to be as high as a 50-60 point 2nd liner). I think I would go defense if it came down to these options, but I'm no scout, so I could be way off.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am a JB supporter. But really? 

You don't know that JB has signed some poor UFA contracts like Loui and others?

You don't know that JB made some bad trades such as guddy and others?

You don't know that JB didn't draft the best prospect every single draft such as MT?

JB has done a lot of good for this franchise. But don't pretend he has not also made lots of mistakes or choices that turned out to be pretty bad. :picard:

I wanted MT as well.....But the jury is still out on that one. LE was the only UFA signing of any significance that hasn’t worked out....And that looked pretty good at the time. Guddy has turned into Pearson, which is a wash. Sutter has been riddled with injuries. Sure, let’s blame that on Jim. I didn’t like the Gagner signing particularly. But, that was hardly significant. Virtanan......That’s open for debate. My point is, given what he had to work with Benning has done a credible job. Everyone makes the occasional error in judgement. I don’t see LOTS OF MISTAKES.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think I would've pick Krebs, but with his recent injury (not sure the success rate of recovery from a cut Achilles), I'm a bit worried about his status. I'm not 100% sold on Newhook either though (I'm only projecting him to be as high as a 50-60 point 2nd liner). I think I would go defense if it came down to these options, but I'm no scout, so I could be way off.

I too project him as a 50-60 point 2nd liner but even then it's not guaranteed that he reaches that ceiling. While his points are lower than Jost and Turris, he does have more 5v5 points after taking away all PP points. He also did play with inferior linemates in comparison to Jost and Turris. I hope I'm wrong and he can project to be a 60-70 point guy but if he only has 50-60 points a season my reasoning is that perhaps a D like Seider who could pot 30 points might be more valuable, both on our team and in trade value.

50 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd argue the Gudbranson trade & not trading Tanev when he had good value has made a big impact. Could have another young player on this team right now pushing with our young core.

The pushing for the playoffs plan, when we were a bottom feeder, was a mistake in the rebuilding process.

Now we are lacking assets at a time when we need to start making some big steps. 

I agree about Tanev, completely.  But, trades are rare, league wide........theyre tough to make and it's very likely Tanev was worth more to Van than they could have gotten in a trade.  Still, I do agree.

Had Guddy stayed healthy and find his groove, he would have been the player he was in Florida.  If that's his biggest gaff, he's done pretty well.

I'd hope he'd push for the playoffs, that's his job.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Truly, my biggest complaint about JB's moves was reading Kassian.  He'd be a huge part of this team, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree about Tanev, completely.  But, trades are rare, league wide........theyre tough to make and it's very likely Tanev was worth more to Van than they could have gotten in a trade.  Still, I do agree.

Had Guddy stayed healthy and find his groove, he would have been the player he was in Florida.  If that's his biggest gaff, he's done pretty well.

I'd hope he'd push for the playoffs, that's his job.

Just the timing was terrible to make that kind of move. Nowhere close to the playoffs & a #4D like they hoped they were getting wasn't going to move the meter. 

If that kind of move was made now I'd get it, but back then he needed to be focused on rebuilding. Scouting is his bread & butter I won't take that away from him. 

Edit: I agree on Kassian, I get he had his issues but man I'd love to have him on the team now. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Two things I'll just throw out there that fit team needs (for both teams imo) and address two of JB's biggest concerns:

1.  Boeser for Dumba.  One for one hockey-trade if you will.  Immediately addresses our RD issues and gives Minny an immediate replacement for Zucker who they are actively shopping as we all know. 

2.  OJ for Tuch.  One for one hockey-trade again.  OJ is somewhat expendable if Dumba is acquired and Tuch fills an immediate top 6 role - gives JB a huge-bodied, young, 20-30 goal scorer on a cost-certain contract for the next 8 years.  Vegas needs cap relief badly and they could use some more depth in their organization on defence.   

I think both of the aforementioned trades are very realistic in terms of cost to the franchise vs. incoming value and are in no way one of the typical CDC "let us rip you off just because it's good for us and it works in EA sports bs". 

Would hurt to lose OJ and BB but imo this puts us solidly in the mix for a playoff spot next season and beyond and by no means does it gut our franchise of young talent or take on other GM's horrendous mistakes just to get a 'sweetner' thrown in. 

Dude,  if you don't put this in the proposals forum I might have to do it myself ::D.  

People need to see what a real hockey trade proposal looks like outside of their Playstation. 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Krebs is expected to make a full recovery. This was a fluke injury caused by another players skate so it does not indicate any problems.

It would be foolish to pass on a talent like Krens just because he likely will not not be ready for training camp.

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

I too project him as a 50-60 point 2nd liner but even then it's not guaranteed that he reaches that ceiling. While his points are lower than Jost and Turris, he does have more 5v5 points after taking away all PP points. He also did play with inferior linemates in comparison to Jost and Turris. I hope I'm wrong and he can project to be a 60-70 point guy but if he only has 50-60 points a season my reasoning is that perhaps a D like Seider who could pot 30 points might be more valuable, both on our team and in trade value.

Seider has his injury issues as well which worries me at the #10 pick. If we trade down a bit then I would be more comfortable. I think Broberg/Soderstrom are the safer picks as dmen.