The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Rumours that the Canucks still have interest in Lucic (coming from Dreger). He said Edm would have to sweeten with a pick or prospect. We certainly aren’t getting #8 if Louie is going the other way but maybe we could still get it?

Erickson + Tanev + 3rd

for Lucic and 8th overall 

Id do

Lucic + Puljujarvi + 2nd

for

Sutter

Tanev + Virtanen

for

Zaitsev + Kapanen

Trade down 3-7 spots and add another 3rd.

Draft Seider (or Soderstrom), Grewe(EDM 2nd), Beecher(Van 2nd), Farinacci and Hugo Has in the first 3 rounds.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id do

Lucic + Puljujarvi + 2nd

for

Sutter

Tanev + Virtanen

for

Zaitsev + Kapanen

Trade down 3-7 spots and add another 3rd.

Draft Seider (or Soderstrom), Grewe(EDM 2nd), Beecher(Van 2nd), Farinacci and Hugo Has in the first 3 rounds.

I’m not sold on Pulijarvi amounting to anything. I think that #8 holds more value. 

Second deal, offersheet Kapanen and leave Zaitsev out. He’s a cap dump, if we take him to help the leafs with their cap issues Tanev and a lower end prospect / late pick is enough 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Those are two very exciting duos.

The Zegras-Farabee duo will probably be the more dynamic of the two. Zegras will be feeding Farabee all day. 

Exactly - I’m really excited we have a shot at drafting the kid. Use to think we  had no shot at him at all

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ya I’m just going off Dreger’s rumour that Louie would be going the other way in a potential deal. I also think they’d may want Tanev more but, you never know. I also think the bonus has been paid, June 1st I thought 

If they want tanev more then making a deal with col for Johnson would fill his hole/role on the team. I just don't know what they would want....Hutton + prospect or a second round pick next year maybe.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB is not taking Soderstrom.  

If you were picking for need, he might be the best player on the board.

A RHD, good defensive defender as well, who can absolutely fly and handle the puck... Its that puck skill & speed that are intriguing if you can inject into a line up with Petey.

Like Seider, very fundamentally sound, but even more so. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

A power fwd, scoring at a 20 goal pace over 82 games means he doesn't have the tool box?  That's just a statement based in ignorance and one parroted far too much here

Stawns,

Who is comparing an active player to a potential draft pick?  Didnt think I needed to specify reference that this was pre draft JV with pre draft Broberg.  

JV has yet to reach his potential but he is close.  His biggest hurdle has been his 'toolbox'.  I think he is almost there.  Broberg is a similar pick, all the tools, but has consistently issues and can lose the play.  Jake has greatly improved and could be poised to breakout this season.  

I have been a supporter of JV for a long time.  Think your aggressive response was meant for others.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Broberg is the JV of d men.  All the tools, but does he have the tool box to play in the NHL.  I think he would project very well, but like Jake, not sure of he would be a top pairing guy or a bottom pairing guy.  

IMO he is a can't miss guy, but so are Soderstrom and Seider.   

If JB is picking a D man at 10, he should swing for the fences vs taking the surest bet.  I would go with the German, big frame, great skating and a heavy RHD shot.  

With him and Woo, we would have 2 RHD with a great blend of skills and frames to offset our 2 LHD, OJ and Hughes.  

With Krebs falling, I think Seider is the guy to pick.  No AHL restrictions either.  The guy could be in the system as of next season  

I have Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider in order of BPA.

I would agree Seider has a more mature game. A safer pick? And, from a need standpoint a righty.  I think he'll be a right handed Edler in this draft.  And there is nothing wrong with that. All good picks. I am sure guys on Jim's draft team have been doing interviews, projections and beating the night owl on Broberg.

Broberg simply has more physical tools.  Seider's size, who is mobile in his own right. But not Broberg's ability to explode away from some of the fastest players, which is insane. And enough puck skill to lug it with him, plus the best shot of the three guys after Byram. Soderstrom is a better defender? I know coaches fully believe they can teach defence to a guy who has balance, reach, explosive power, agility. They would be lining up to get him on the practice rink to coach & teach him things.    

58 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I’m not sold on Pulijarvi amounting to anything. I think that #8 holds more value. 

Second deal, offersheet Kapanen and leave Zaitsev out. He’s a cap dump, if we take him to help the leafs with their cap issues Tanev and a lower end prospect / late pick is enough 

Puljujarvi has high potential still. Edmonton is hard on its young players and they often succeed once leaving that dump.

Zaitsev may be overpaid but he still holds value as a right shot defensemen. Kapanen would add some much needed skill to our top 6 lineup

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Backes was a healthy scratch last game.  

I don't think it's fair to judge his prowess as a power forward when that role and style sn't what it was, even 5 years ago.  IMO, he could be a rick Nash if given the chance.

I defend him against what I think are inaccurate myths about his game, his IQ and his productivity because the numbers, simply, don't reinforce those myths and he might be the best value for the buck on the team, outside of Bo or Marky.

Backes actually carved out a fantastic career for himself. A healthy scratch as a 35 year old in a reduced role isn’t a good example of what he was in his prime. 

Jake will never be a Rick Nash. He doesn’t have the hands nor does he have the goal

scorers touch like the natural ones do. He skates down the wing and rips a shot on net 9 times out of 10 rather than using his size and driving to the net like Rick Nash did oh so well and getting a lot of his 437 career goals that way. Nash was one of the leagues best pure goal scorers for a time. Another bad example. 

If Jake were a late round 1st nobody would be complaining about the player he is at the moment but the fact he was a 6th overall pick and the lack of offensive output thus far he is a major disappointment and you cannot deny that. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, stawns said:

Not at #10 usually.  I'm not against players from the CHL, but all things being equal between a CHL player and one from Europe of US, I'd always go with Euro or US.  

We saw, with Jake, the decisions that lack of control can lead to.

Bo came straight from junior, didn't he? He played one more year.

5 hours ago, cyoung said:

Would be happy with all of them. Liking newhook more and more. Boston college will be a great place for his development, playing alongside Zegras too.

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed on Newhook.

However Zegras is going to BU. Newhook and Boldy will be at Boston College. 

I was thinking about that -- one of the reasons I would prefer Zebras/Boldy/Caufield over Krebs, in that order. Player development at this stage in their young careers is huge, and IMO the NCAA has been great these past few years in helping players develop and transition into the professional leagues.

For one, the game schedule allows for a lot of time in the gym to focus on strength and conditioning. Another is that players enter the league as rookies and have to learn to play against bigger and stronger competition. Lastly, NCAA players have the opportunity to sign and join their professional-affiliate at the end of each season. 

CHL players, on the other hand, have a full schedule with a lot of travel meaning less time in the gym. In their D+1 season, most draftees will be in their third or fourth year in the league and will definitely be the "top dog" playing against less physically developed and more inferior competition. Lastly, CHL players have to wait until they finish their fourth year to be eligible for the AHL, although they can join the NHL immediately.

IMO Jake Virtanen would have been better served going the NCAA route. He was too physically dominant in the WHL and when he was in the NHL he clearly needed more development but was unable to go to the AHL.

Krebs for sure is a top talent but he would have to play 2 more years in the WHL before he would be AHL-eligible. That D+1 year in the WHL would serve him well, but how well would that final D+2 year be? Would he even be ready for the NHL at that time? Or would he be in that limbo, much like where Jake was. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Terrible take brah lol especially with who was still available 

Jake was ranked number first by TSN in both skating and physicality that year. Picking him wasn’t going off the board by any means. Bennings first draft since leaving the Bruins, is it much of surprise. 

12 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider in order of BPA.

I would agree Seider has a more mature game. A safer pick? And, from a need standpoint a righty.  I think he'll be a right handed Edler in this draft.  And there is nothing wrong with that. All good picks. I am sure guys on Jim's draft team have been doing interviews, projections and beating the night owl on Broberg.

Broberg simply has more physical tools.  Seider's size, who is mobile in his own right. But not Broberg's ability to explode away from some of the fastest players, which is insane. And enough puck skill to lug it with him, plus the best shot of the three guys after Byram. Soderstrom is a better defender? I know coaches fully believe they can teach defence to a guy who has balance, reach, explosive power, agility. They would be lining up to get him on the practice rink to coach & teach him things.    

CanuckSurfer,

read countless posts from you.

got the impression that you have been watching hockey for ages and that you are a hockey expert, paying special attention to the details.

Give you some credit for your posts, for sure.

But posting this GIF to demonstrate Broberg's shot makes me feel sick.

in this situation not only one player puts a perfect screen on the goalie, but several players provided a perfect screen for the goalie.

Any player with an average accurate shot would have scored from the blueline under this circumstance.

How difficult is it to score from the blueline with an open shooting lane and a goalie screen?

Nothing special about it.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst