The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

17 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I hear Soderstrom’s name in the sports press as someone JB might take instead of Broberg or Seider. If the D is not a stud at 10, I’d prefer a top 6 forward there and look for a hidden gem D later in the draft.

not surprised.

Söderström brings something  to the table Jim  really likes.

Jim would call it a "plus", or the "cherry on top of the cake".

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think I’ll take a stab at a mock draft right now.

1. NJ - Kakko

i just think they’ll pull the trigger on this. He’s more NHL ready, he showed how strong he is and how skilled he is at the men’s WC he can slot in with Hall right away and he may even be a better C prospect than Hughes. As Hughes May get shifted to the W. I think their ceilings are similar and Kakko has done enough to be 1 on some teams lists. I have a feeling he will go first.

2. NYR - Hughes

no brainer. It’s Hughes or Kakko whoever NJ doesn’t take.

3. CHI - Turcotte

4. Colorado - Cozens

I think they should take Byram because Byram-Makar would be ridiculous. Or Caufield, as they can afford to take a big swing on him and god could he be a deadly compliment to their top 6. But rumours are they really like Cozens so I’ll slot him in here.

5. LA - Byram

they run to the podium and get there man, the best dman in the draft. 

6. DET - Podkolzin

just really seems like a Detroit guy. But if they shock us all with a Seider/Broberg defence pick here I wouldn’t be surprised. Even Caufield wouldn’t surprise me. But I can see Podkolzin written on a Detroit sweater come draft day.

7. BUF - Caufield

not afraid to take risks. Love American players. Choosing between Zegras/Caufield/Boldy they go with they highest ceiling for pure goal scoring and take the little guy with the magic release.

8. EDM - Broberg

they need d help and future d pairing of Broberg-Bouchard sounds very intriguing. 

Both big big men with offensive abilities. Brobergs strengths and weaknesses Skating/Shot/IQ will ying/yang nice with Bouchard.

9 ANA - Dach

Dach if he falls to 9 just seems like an Anaheim guy to me. Big, cerebral and highly skilled. Can imagine him a duck. Easy to see him going higher because he’s big, skilled and a C. But some scouts have him lower on their lists as a guy who may not translate to being a top line nhler. All it takes is a team to have 1 player above him on their draft board to pass him down to this spot so I believe it is very possible.

10 VAN - Zegras

Selecting among:

Zegras/Boldy/Krebs/Newhook/Seider/York/Harley

With Zegras positional flexibility, high end skill set  (skating ability, passing ability, IQ etc etc), numbers/production, personality (interviewed great at combine and for the radio) he seems to be our guy. Also I’d say he has the highest ceiling available with Krebs and Newhook close behind. 

Although if Chicago took him at 3 I wouldn’t be surprised either. 

-

these are my guesses on where these kids will go, I say guesses because every team, every person has ranked them differently so thought it would be fun to try and guess now and reference back on draft day.

Fun part is regardless we are getting a grade A prospect. But since every team in the top 15ish will be, we have to hope that ours rises to the top and is the guy people who picked before us kick themselves for not taking 2-3 years from now!!

Really like your  mock draft.

I think there's a good chance that you got the actual draft order right from #1 - # 9.

• Cheers 1

On 6/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

In my humble opinion, good Defenseman are more expensive to find on the open market than forwards. Especially RHD. This being the case, I believe if there is a potential long term fit at RHD available at our pick, you take him.

I’m not dismissing what Benning has said about his goals for the off season. I just don’t believe that we can’t patch up the Defense on the short term while also eying the long term success of the team. 

In my opinion, teams with long term success are built from the net out. Since we already have our future in net squared away (IMO), that leaves Defence. 

Hughes and Seider would sure be nice pairing together on our blue line for years to come. 

That's exactly the way how I look at it.

If I had to make a decision who's BPA I would factor in that a right handed defenceman comes at a premium.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

CanuckSurfer,

read countless posts from you.

got the impression that you have been watching hockey for ages and that you are a hockey expert, paying special attention to the details.

Give you some credit for your posts, for sure.

But posting this GIF to demonstrate Broberg's shot makes me feel sick.

in this situation not only one player puts a perfect screen on the goalie, but several players provided a perfect screen for the goalie.

Any player with an average shot would have scored from the blueline under this circumstance.

Nothing special about it.

I'm not an expert. Just a fan. I try to pay attention? 

You watched exactly the same play. It had subtle details to note. He whistled it the only place it would get thru. Dead on point, with zip. After a subtle drag to get it past where it would clear the screens.  Reach, balance, his head up, edging backwards, a slight pivot, hit his target with pin point accuracy & a wicked release. Great execution.  

Its an athletes shot.  A skilled players shot & a mature play. Nothing more.

Broberg is not known for such ''hockey IQ?'' The smarts to know how to get a shot thru. Knowing how to create angles, make space. A hockey play. But there he was.

A lot of young athletes with his athleticism. Their coordination catches up when they stop growing. Get man strength, maturity in their game Seider already has.

I see untapped potential. That he can make the plays detractors say he is too simple to pull off.

That he'll be fantastic when more hockey catches up to his physical skills.

7 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Jake wasn’t a bad pick at 6 ESPECIALLY when you look at that year as a whole.  Far from ‘a major disappointment’

People just cant let go.  The hilarious thing is it's about Nylander vs Virtannen and no one is upset about Pastrnk 

12 hours ago, Pickly said:

Backes actually carved out a fantastic career for himself. A healthy scratch as a 35 year old in a reduced role isn’t a good example of what he was in his prime. 

Jake will never be a Rick Nash. He doesn’t have the hands nor does he have the goal

scorers touch like the natural ones do. He skates down the wing and rips a shot on net 9 times out of 10 rather than using his size and driving to the net like Rick Nash did oh so well and getting a lot of his 437 career goals that way. Nash was one of the leagues best pure goal scorers for a time. Another bad example. 

If Jake were a late round 1st nobody would be complaining about the player he is at the moment but the fact he was a 6th overall pick and the lack of offensive output thus far he is a major disappointment and you cannot deny that. 

We don't know if Jake has the hands or not because he hasnt been given the chance to prove it.  He gets bottom 6 mins, with defensive minded players.

Backes has had a great career, no question, but his style of power fwd is a dying breed.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Stawns,

Who is comparing an active player to a potential draft pick?  Didnt think I needed to specify reference that this was pre draft JV with pre draft Broberg.  

JV has yet to reach his potential but he is close.  His biggest hurdle has been his 'toolbox'.  I think he is almost there.  Broberg is a similar pick, all the tools, but has consistently issues and can lose the play.  Jake has greatly improved and could be poised to breakout this season.  

I have been a supporter of JV for a long time.  Think your aggressive response was meant for others.  

Perhaps you can elaborate on his toolbox.  I think Jake is a victim of his own versatility.........he can play a very effective bottom 6 role in a way that the more one dimensional top 6 players can't, players he's competing against for that ice time.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I would rather trade Sutter and a 3rd for Lucic and 8th overall. Then trade Erickson after July 1st, after his bonus has been paid.

I would try to make a deal for Colorado's 16th overall and Erik Johnson, I know he's older but he would be the perfect partner for Edler.

The Oilers have cap troubles so they want to cut salaries not add. 

15 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Rumours that the Canucks still have interest in Lucic (coming from Dreger). He said Edm would have to sweeten with a pick or prospect. We certainly aren’t getting #8 if Louie is going the other way but maybe we could still get it?

Erickson + Tanev + 3rd

for Lucic and 8th overall 

No, please. Big and slow, anchor of a contract. Been there, done that already.

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Really like your  mock draft.

I think there's a good chance that you got the actual draft order right from #1 - # 9.

Thanks mate! 

Who do you think we will take at #10 if 1-9 fell that way?

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

No, please. Big and slow, anchor of a contract. Been there, done that already.

Not to mention we help Edmonton by improving their pk and their top 4 defence.

If we're helping a division rival it's only cause they pay a premium for it.

Throw Puljujarvi in there and then we'll talk.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

People just cant let go.  The hilarious thing is it's about Nylander vs Virtannen and no one is upset about Pastrnk 

Because many teams missed on David. Nylander was highly touted, highly scouted, put up great numbers and had the last name alone to garner attention. Nylander was ranked 2-5 most of the year whereas Pastrnak wasn’t even on any of our radars. Hard to be too upset about that.

• Upvote 4

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not to mention we help Edmonton by improving their pk and their top 4 defence.

If we're helping a division rival it's only cause they pay a premium for it.

Throw Puljujarvi in there and then we'll talk.

Worst part about

taking lucic is he takes a Seattle expansion protected spot 

agree tho and if poolparty is involved maybe theres something but otherwise no thank you 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah brah, not like every team makes errors in the draft brah. But lets keep crying about a draft from 5 years ago despite the guy we took actually playing in the NHL. Who was the guy that went before Jake? Sam Bennett, another guy takin' before Jake is hardly even an upgrade on him if you could even consider him an upgrade on Jake. I don't see Calgary fans crying about Bennett nearly as much as you guys complain about Jake.

Probably wouldn’t cry as much if we took tkachuk over oj 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Relatively weak draft

I’d argue it was an incredibly week draft... that’s why I’m quite happy with Jake at 6.  That being said, a prospect like Jake is gonna go before 20 most years, too much raw skill to ignore.