The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

For a young player ice time should be paramount. 

Not siting in the press box.

They should stay down with their clubs instead, European, University or where ever.

I don't disagree, but I like that they have to earn it and aren't gifted it.  That's how you build a competitive organization.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

McKenna has been instructed by our spies/dbl agents to allow a baker's dozen..genius, dastardly scheme, wks in the making!

If McKenna is playing in an AHL game does that mean he was put on waivers? Or perhaps he's on a conditioning stint?

20 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

If McKenna is playing in an AHL game does that mean he was put on waivers? Or perhaps he's on a conditioning stint?

It is a 'conditioning' stint ! 14 days, starting 30th Jan..Don't know the loophole that Phillie used, but he was not injured and had recently played a game.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Connor comet said:

The AHL is one tough league for young players to adjust to. It's faster, tougher and with the schedule concentrated on the weekends is physically challenging.

Playing a bunch of 1st year kids is just going to end up being a disaster. And the comets other than Gaudette have no blue Chip prospects but rather have lower picks who have been brought along slowly. 

Obviously the development is happening and working as players are improving from season to season and taking bigger rolls and more minutes. 

Unfortunately these guys are not NHL talent at this point. 

Sautner, Brisbois, Mceneny all come to mind as fitting this mold. All were raw rookies at one point and are now important pieces to the team. 

Unfortunately at forward there are fewer, but big Mac definitely is one...... Demko in net is another.....

I have no clue how anyone can say development is not happening..... It takes time... In Sautners case it took untill his 3rd season till he took off. 

Only when those listed players have actually made it to the NHL can we say they were developed correctly. Until then they're just hopefuls. I have serious doubts that any of those players will make the 100 NHL games mark. So we can dream the system is working but we need a few "graduates" before we can crow about it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Only when those listed players have actually made it to the NHL can we say they were developed correctly. Until then they're just hopefuls. I have serious doubts that any of those players will make the 100 NHL games mark. So we can dream the system is working but we need a few "graduates" before we can crow about it. 

Unfortunately you are probably correct. The Canucks have taken anything and everything remotely ready for NHL duty and put them in Vancouver.

Thusly the comets get scraps for players which means not many of these guys will ever see NHL time. 

The situation in Vancouver is much better now so hopefully the comets will get more and better talent. 

Too much being made of the McKenna thing, sure looks like Philly took the "loop" hole way of getting him passed his 30 days of us being able to reclaim him, it just means we have to wait a bit to put in a claim. Worst case we just sign a goalie to finish the year in the A

3 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Unfortunately you are probably correct. The Canucks have taken anything and everything remotely ready for NHL duty and put them in Vancouver.

Thusly the comets get scraps for players which means not many of these guys will ever see NHL time. 

The situation in Vancouver is much better now so hopefully the comets will get more and better talent. 

There's nothing unfortunate about it. It's as your last sentence says. The drafts from the last few years have finally given this organization a chance the develop an actual top down franchise.

It takes most prospects several years to make it to the NHL. It's a handful of players that get to the NHL within 3 years of the draft. There's nothing that has changed in decades except for fan expectation.

It's weird.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If it's this hard to get ice time the kids should stay away and mature some more.

I have no complaints about the way the kids are being developed. Take a look at the successful teams and how long it took some of their guys in the AHL before they made the leap to the NHL. We are already seeing the progress in MacEwan, Dahlen, Chatfield, Jasek, Brisebois, Demko, and even Kole Lind is starting to show signs of breaking through.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Connor comet said:

The AHL is one tough league for young players to adjust to. It's faster, tougher and with the schedule concentrated on the weekends is physically challenging.

Playing a bunch of 1st year kids is just going to end up being a disaster. And the comets other than Gaudette have no blue Chip prospects but rather have lower picks who have been brought along slowly. 

Obviously the development is happening and working as players are improving from season to season and taking bigger rolls and more minutes. 

Unfortunately these guys are not NHL talent at this point. 

Sautner, Brisbois, Mceneny all come to mind as fitting this mold. All were raw rookies at one point and are now important pieces to the team. 

Unfortunately at forward there are fewer, but big Mac definitely is one...... Demko in net is another.....

I have no clue how anyone can say development is not happening..... It takes time... In Sautners case it took untill his 3rd season till he took off. 

I agree with most of what you said, however the guys that came out of the CHL are more than used to having their schedules concentrated with weekend games and they play about the same amount of games in total. The games themselves would be more physically challenging because of playing against bigger stronger men, more so than when they're playing them or how often. I can see first year guys coming out of college or out Europe having a problem with this though.

Good to see Utica beating their top rivals. Was very interested in the fact that Leighton started in back to back games, especially as this is a three games over three days weekend for the Comets. Kulbakov will probably play today ( noon PST ). Canucks have to get another NHL goalie under contract. The DiPietro situation has to end. My guess that it's either Leighton or McKenna. Didn't get to see the LVP game, but reports indicate that Leighton was the better of the two. I think Leighton will soon have a NHL deal !

The Flyers are +/- 2days away from having to waive McKenna or keep him on their NHL roster.

58 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Don't look now, but the Comets are 7 games over .500.  Considering what a mess they were at about the quarter mark of the season, this has been a huge turnaround.  It seemed like it started once Demko returned.

The veterans have been bolstered. Domino effect, now the rookies have less pressure on them. Just Kero to start, add Gaunce, add Pyatt and lately Schenn. Huge difference !

• Upvote 3

By Ben Birnell

Posted at 2:47 PM

Zack MacEwen’s hard work has paid off.

MacEwen, the 6-foot-5, 211-pound undrafted power forward who has impressed with his game in his second season with the Utica Comets, was recalled by the parent Vancouver Canucks on Sunday. The Comets close a three-game weekend Sunday afternoon with a visit to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

“That’s the goal in the American (Hockey) League,” said MacEwen when asked Saturday if he’s put himself in consideration to be called up. “You want to move on to the next level. It has been a dream of mine to play in the NHL. They have a plan for me and I’m sticking to that. It’s going well right now, so it just keep my nose the grind and keep going.”

The move involving the 22-year-old MacEwen comes with Canucks forward Sven Baertschi out with post-concussion symptoms, according to Vancouver.

The call-up is well-deserved for the wing, who is coming off his first pro four-point effort Saturday – with his dad, Craig, in attendance -- in the team’s 5-2 victory over Rochester. MacEwen has been one of the Comets’ best players as he’s expanded into a versatile role following a breakout rookie season. MacEwen, a patient net-front presence on the power play and a penalty kill member, has career marks in goals (17), assists (25) and points (42).

“It is just opportunity. I’m putting the work in with the coaching staff and any skills I need to and, just working on little details,” MacEwen said. “The coaching staff is good at pointing out little details that improve my game drastically. They give me more time, more confidence and it has really helped me. It is just great to have that support. I think if you put the work in, you’ll be rewarded. That’s the way I’ve always been.”

Trent Cull said MacEwen has been more confident in his abilities as he’s developed as a player.

“He’s been very much a pro. The work that he put in during the summer has changed his body. He’s done a great job. He’s hungry to learn. He’s a very coachable young man,” Cull said. “But, he’s doing a lot of hard work behind the scenes. He’s doing a better job at (defensive) zone coverage at all times. ... He’s a big, strong guy. When he protects pucks, he’s a tough guy to play against.”

MacEwen joins defenseman Guillaume Brisebois on recall with the Canucks, who are dealing with a few injuries including to Thatcher Demko.

• Cheers 1