The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, krutovsdonut said:

maybe he gets papered, but i think gaudette will make it very hard to get demoted again.  

if everyone is healthy, he and Mac will be Utica bound........if Baer is out for the year, but Sutter comes back, Mac stays and AG goes down.  The made it very clear that AG will not be playing w in the NHL

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

if everyone is healthy, he and Mac will be Utica bound........if Baer is out for the year, but Sutter comes back, Mac stays and AG goes down.  The made it very clear that AG will not be playing w in the NHL

that is a good point.  i don't think sutter has been 100% since his first injury so if he is not fully healthy they might ease him in on the wing while keeping and dressing gaudette up the middle. 

50 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

that is a good point.  i don't think sutter has been 100% since his first injury so if he is not fully healthy they might ease him in on the wing while keeping and dressing gaudette up the middle. 

it's possible, with Suter taking the draws

Re: the Spooner trade. It could be a good move for Utica. Having Gagner with the Marlies was a class move but didn't help the organization in any way. Spooner gives the Canucks and the Comets a bit of depth and if (or more likely when) the big club does not make the playoffs, Spooner, Macewen, Schenn and Gaudette can be sent down. 

An AHL line up of:                          

image.png.59df58fea44a4b3e16decc3cc76bc63e.png

This Comets groups should have enough depth to make a run at the Calder cup giving many of the prospects invaluable playoff experience. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Re: the Spooner trade. It could be a good move for Utica. Having Gagner with the Marlies was a class move but didn't help the organization in any way. Spooner gives the Canucks and the Comets a bit of depth and if (or more likely when) the big club does not make the playoffs, Spooner, Macewen, Schenn and Gaudette can be sent down. 

An AHL line up of:                          

This Comets groups should have enough depth to make a run at the Calder cup giving many of the prospects invaluable playoff experience. 

Could also mean Spooner is up here trying to prove himself at the NHL level again while young guys in Utica such as Gaudette and MacEwen can play big minutes and fight for the playoffs down there.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Could also mean Spooner is up here trying to prove himself at the NHL level again while young guys in Utica such as Gaudette and MacEwen can play big minutes and fight for the playoffs down there.

Spooner was in Bakersfield of the AHL at the time of the trade so I am expecting the Canucks will have him report to Utica vs coming to Vancouver. He can fill in for Gaudette while Gaudette is up with the big club.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Spooner was in Bakersfield of the AHL at the time of the trade so I am expecting the Canucks will have him report to Utica vs coming to Vancouver. He can fill in for Gaudette while Gaudette is up with the big club.

Spooner is reporting to Vancouver but hopefully eventually will be demoted to the Comets. At the moment b/c of Virtanen, Sutter, and Baertschi injuries, I think there is room on the roster for Spooner. When one of those guys gets healhty, they can send Spooner down. He is highly unlikely to be claimed on waivers because of his salary so the club doesn't need to worry (it would help their cap anyways) about sending him down later. I'm hoping Gaudette stays up longer and ends the season in Utica if the big team doesn't make the playoffs. Same for Brisebois, Schenn, Macewen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

An AHL line up of:                          

Geez. I will have to pay to watch some Utica hockey this year for their playoffs with a line up like that!!

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Spooner is reporting to Vancouver but hopefully eventually will be demoted to the Comets. At the moment b/c of Virtanen, Sutter, and Baertschi injuries, I think there is room on the roster for Spooner. When one of those guys gets healhty, they can send Spooner down. He is highly unlikely to be claimed on waivers because of his salary so the club doesn't need to worry (it would help their cap anyways) about sending him down later. I'm hoping Gaudette stays up longer and ends the season in Utica if the big team doesn't make the playoffs. Same for Brisebois, Schenn, Macewen.

I guess Spooner is taking JV's spot, McEwen and Gaudette are in for the other two. So he probably gets a look tonight, no?