The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

All these Utica signings seem to be ECHL related. We 'normally' only seem to have 3 to 5 players with a Utica/ Canuck connection at that level. I wonder if TL/ JB have talked Aqualini into taking ownership control of Kalamazoo ?

Edited by SingleThorn

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don’t disagree with any of this.   Just saying that some players who have and are contributing NHL players won’t make the “cut” if this team is truly improving.

i like Granny, always have, but he needs to earn a spot line everyone else and he has more competition than he ever has in Vancouver with Utica a very real possibility for those who lose said competition.

There certainly is more competition. That said, I'd wager we'd waive the lesser players I listed and when (not should) the time come that some of Baer, Gagner, Granlund or even newer guys like Goldobin or Leipsic (or Hutton, Pouliott, MDZ etc on D) are surpassed and deemed expendable, they will likely be traded (perhaps even packaged) to fill some other hole or for futures.

I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 of those guys from each F/D group survive and remain Canucks beyond the next couple years. 

That still doesn't likely equal Granlund being waived and/or actually playing in Utica. And certainly not this fall.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

You have to remember that it isn't necessarily the top 13/14 forwards and 7/8 defensemen in training camp that automatically make the opening night roster.  Asset management and depth has to come in to play as well.  If a kid with waiver exemption just blows away the competition in camp then you need to make room for him.  But if a kid with waiver exemption could still use some development time in the AHL he will be sent down before risking an asset that you need for depth to waivers.  It should not guarantee a roster spot for the waiver required player if he is under performing badly but that player should get the benefit of the doubt if all things are equal.

It is a long grind of a season and you need to retain all of your depth assets right from the beginning.  The kids can still get called up when injuries start to pile up.  I just don't see risking a player like Granlund to waivers.

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That still doesn't likely equal Granlund being waived and/or actually playing in Utica. And certainly not this fall.

Granlund is a pro already and hard to tell if he had a down year offensively before injury or was just brilliant in a defensive shutdown role. Maybe both?

However, unlike Goldy and several other forward prospects there is nothing to gain for him in the farm, so in my opinion he wouldn’t have been resigned - even on a one year show me type of deal - at all if management didn’t believe in him. 

But of course, if he doesn’t prove he’s worth a spot, sure he should be waived, it’s just not very likely since he can contribute on both offense and defense up and down the lineup.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

All these Utica signings seem to be ECHL related. We 'normally' only seem to have 3 to 5 lpayers with a Utica/ Canuck connection at that level. I wonder if TL/ JB have talked Aqualini into taking ownership control of Kalamazoo ?

I doubt it has anything to do with controlling an ECHL team.  Last season the Comets used 58 players and it looks like they want to have more depth signed so they don't have to search for so many mid season emergency PTO replacements.  The Comets by far used more players on PTOs from other ECHL teams than they did with call ups from Kalamazoo.  It looks like they will have more depth in KZoo to call from this time around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I doubt it has anything to do with controlling an ECHL team.  Last season the Comets used 58 players and it looks like they want to have more depth signed so they don't have to search for so many mid season emergency PTO replacements.  The Comets by far used more players on PTOs from other ECHL teams than they did with call ups from Kalamazoo.  It looks like they will have more depth in KZoo to call from this time around. 

One of these years, the Canucks/ Comets will have an injury free ( relatively ) season and we won't know what to do with all the bodies !

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The Rangers have both Andersson and Chytil who have pretty decent chances of making the team (especially Chytil since he played a couple games last year). That brings them up to 14 forwards. The Rangers in general are regarded as a smaller team, so Granlund doesn't really help there. Furthermore, they've come out and publicly said that they're rebuilding, so adding Granlund for depth doesn't do much for them. 

Could probably beat out Matt Beleskey for a spot?

I'll admit I don't know too much about their young guys pushing to make the team for the first time.

42 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Could probably beat out Matt Beleskey for a spot?

I'll admit I don't know too much about their young guys pushing to make the team for the first time.

Beleskey was in the AHL this year. 

Andersson played in the SHL in his draft year (which Pettersson didn't do) and then split this year between the SHL and AHL. Chytil also played in the Czech Men's league and played a couple of NHL games. They're both likely ready to go in the NHL, but we'll see what happens. 

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Beleskey was in the AHL this year. 

Andersson played in the SHL in his draft year (which Pettersson didn't do) and then split this year between the SHL and AHL. Chytil also played in the Czech Men's league and played a couple of NHL games. They're both likely ready to go in the NHL, but we'll see what happens. 

Ahh, those were meant as two different statements, I am very familiar with Beleskey, but not with their young prospects.

I mention Beleskey specificly because he is on a one-way NHL deal and listed on the Ranger's roster, but will likely not be there by the end of training camp. (If his last two seasons of play are any indicator).

Now that you mention it, I do know a little about Lias Andersson, he probably has a good shot.

18 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Ahh, those were meant as two different statements, I am very familiar with Beleskey, but not with their young prospects.

I mention Beleskey specificly because he is on a one-way NHL deal and listed on the Ranger's roster, but will likely not be there by the end of training camp. (If his last two seasons of play are any indicator).

Now that you mention it, I do know a little about Lias Andersson, he probably has a good shot.

Yeah those Andersson and Chytil picks for the Rangers looks really good a year later. They legitimately could have landed their 1-2 punch down the middle in one draft. 

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

All these Utica signings seem to be ECHL related. We 'normally' only seem to have 3 to 5 players with a Utica/ Canuck connection at that level. I wonder if TL/ JB have talked Aqualini into taking ownership control of Kalamazoo ?

Aquilini bought the stealth and according to 650 this am he has asked about the lions

I didn't mean to cause that much of a stir by saying I would prefer to waive Granlund. 

I recognize that he's been a solid player for us and can play many different roles, but I think he's been pushed down by our new free agents and a couple of young players with more potential. I don't think there's much room at all for Granlund in the top-6 before injuries and we added 3 bodies to our bottom-6 in free agency alone. Pettersson, Goldobin and Leipsic are young players that I think should get a shot over Granlund offensively. 

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Gagner - Goldobin

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic - Beagle - Virtanen

Schaller

I don't think there's anyone there that Granlund would outplay in their respective role. I know waiving Gagner has been a common idea, but he provides better situation for our young offensive players to develop than Granlund. Just look at where Green put Boeser after Horvat went down this past year.

The only thing I didn't consider is Schaller might be on IR to start the year, so Granlund could be our 13th forward out of camp. However, he would have a higher chance of getting claimed if we waived him a couple of weeks into the season at opposed to during camp. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

There certainly is more competition. That said, I'd wager we'd waive the lesser players I listed and when (not should) the time come that some of Baer, Gagner, Granlund or even newer guys like Goldobin or Leipsic (or Hutton, Pouliott, MDZ etc on D) are surpassed and deemed expendable, they will likely be traded (perhaps even packaged) to fill some other hole or for futures.

I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 of those guys from each F/D group survive and remain Canucks beyond the next couple years. 

Prob not but the fact is Granlund has to come to camp assuming that it is a possibility.

As far as trading....every team has those types and not all are tradeable.   Another reality about being an improving team is that some assets need to simply be let go.  Some will scream "asset management!" but they will do so from a lack of perspective of how things simply are in today's NHL where few teams are looking for spare parts - in particular for prospects/picks.   

Does Linden stepping down signal the end of the affiliation with Utica?   Linden felt the limited travel and extra practice time was good for development and more than offset the distance factor.  Also felt the atmosphere was a big plus.    He was in Utica's corner, yet the extension which was rumored has never followed.   

49 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Does Linden stepping down signal the end of the affiliation with Utica?   Linden felt the limited travel and extra practice time was good for development and more than offset the distance factor.  Also felt the atmosphere was a big plus.    He was in Utica's corner, yet the extension which was rumored has never followed.   

I see the logic behind it. There are loads of pros and cons to either side. But I imagine it would be a kick in the butt for Utica. If I remember correctly, they recently renovated and expanded their arena and the fans really want to keep the team. 

7 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I see the logic behind it. There are loads of pros and cons to either side. But I imagine it would be a kick in the butt for Utica. If I remember correctly, they recently renovated and expanded their arena and the fans really want to keep the team. 

Aquillini's original plan when purchasing the AHL franchise was to move it to Abbotsford, but Calgary messed that up.  Rumors had Calgary to Utica to pave the way for Canucks in Abbotsford.   If that had gone though Utica would be in the ECHL right now.   If Canucks re-up with Utica I will be shocked.