The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You’re right about JJ of course but any chance to stick it to the Stuge has to be enjoyed.

100%

If you look up an example of fist magnet.... Ted.

I would pay money to fight that guy. Just 5 mins alone.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The thing about those lists is that they're geared toward the casual reader, which is why they feel they have to include "name" musicians, even if they're not exceptional.

Billy Cobham is a good example. Phenomenal drummer, but most people have never heard of him. Same with Alan Holdsworth on guitar. I can pretty much guarantee his isn't on that list that JJ was on, even though Eddie van Halen once said AH could do more with one hand than he could with two....

His list can be found her https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-david-frickes-picks-146383/

It's a pretty bizarre list. Tony Iommi and Randy Rhodes are 86 and 85, JJ is 87. I guess they're just slightly better than JJ. David Gilmour is 82 and Eddie Van Halen is 70. Apparently there's 54 people better than Ritchie Blackmore. Kurt Cobain is 12. Now I really like Cobain but it's for his lyrics. He never was any guitar hero. Keith Richards is 10. I agree with you he's not even the best guitarist in the Stones and he never has been in any incarnation of the Stones. Especially in the Mick Taylor era.

No Alan Holdsworth, Mike Oldfield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson (my personal fav).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

His list can be found her https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-david-frickes-picks-146383/

It's a pretty bizarre list. Tony Iommi and Randy Rhodes are 86 and 85, JJ is 87. I guess they're just slightly better than JJ. David Gilmour is 82 and Eddie Van Halen is 70. Apparently there's 54 people better than Ritchie Blackmore. Kurt Cobain is 12. Now I really like Cobain but it's for his lyrics. He never was any guitar hero. Keith Richards is 10. I agree with you he's not even the best guitarist in the Stones and he never has been in any incarnation of the Stones. Especially in the Mick Taylor era.

No Alan Holdsworth, Mike Oldfield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson (my personal fav).

I've always said that there is no "greatest" guitar player. (or any other instrument) Just about 100 guys (and girls) who you could make a legitimate case for. Neither Cobain nor Richards are in that conversation.

I like the Eric Johnson call. I myself am partial to Jeff Beck....

I also think there are a few deserving guys who for some reason, never get recognized. Steve Stevens, Brian May, Elliot Easton and Canada's own, Rik Emmett...to name just a few.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

No mention of Jeff Healey or Gary Moore- thus the list is incomplete.

Also missed on Glen Campbell, who did session work on a whole lot of rock tunes.

Edited by gurn

9 hours ago, gurn said:

No mention of Jeff Healey or Gary Moore- thus the list is incomplete.

Also missed on Glen Campbell, who did session work on a whole lot of rock tunes.

Didn't see Joe Bonamassa either.....Neal Schon....Lindsay Buckingham....Tony McAlpine....Yngwie....Billy Gibbons....Nile Rodgers....Waddy Wachtel....Liona Boyd...

,,,,and apparently Joni Mitchell is a better guitarist than David Gilmour....:wacko:

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't see Joe Bonamassa either.....Neal Schon....Lindsay Buckingham....Tony McAlpine....Yngwie....Billy Gibbons....Nile Rodgers....Waddy Wachtel....Liona Boyd...

,,,,and apparently Joni Mitchell is a better guitarist than David Gilmour....:wacko:

I don't recall seeing Nancy Wilson on the list either, nor Django Reinhart?

Maybe someone will start a thread/poll on this as summer goes on.?

• Cheers 1

Professional skepticism is good, but professional implies actually doing the work to support the skepticism, and not just wing it because of unfounded assumptions.

Ferrari fracas threatens would-be Penticton pizza chef's chance at immigration

Pizza maker wins another shot at work permit because officer assumed Ferraris must be related

jason-proctor.jpg
Jason Proctor · CBC News · Posted: May 06, 2022 4:56 PM PT | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

ferrari-fracas.jpg
Roberta and Flaminio Ferrari hold a FaceTime conversation with their prospective employee Abdelkarim El Ayachi. Ayachi has been given a second chance at moving from Italy to Canada after a judge overturned an Immigration officer's rejection of his application for a work permit. (Jason Proctor)

Flaminio Ferrari is as proud of his pizza as he is his last name.

But the Penticton restaurateur has no delusions about being the only Ferrari in the pie business — not in Canada, and certainly not in Italy.

Which is why the 50-year-old was stunned when an immigration officer rejected a work permit application for the pizza cook he wanted to bring to B.C. because the man who vouched for his employment in Italy also happened to have the last name Ferrari.

Last month, a federal court judge overturned that decision, finding it "unreasonable" to assume Flaminio Ferrari was related to Marco Ferrari simply because they share a name" so common in Italy ... as to be similar to 'Smith' in English speaking nations."

For the record, Flaminio Ferrari says he's not related to Marco Ferrari — the owner of La Piazzetta, the Brescia-based bar where pizza cook Abdelkarim El Ayachi worked for 18 years before applying to move to Canada.

"They were thinking Ferrari Marco and Ferrari Flaminio, we are relatives and they refused. Sorry, but that is bull$&!#," Ferrari told the CBC. 

"I was very surprised and very upset because I need this guy. He was coming here to live in Canada with his family. He wants to come here to live here and pay taxes here."

'Look in an old phone book'

Ayachi's application for a Temporary Foreign Workers Program permit was rejected in July 2021.

The 42-year-old is a citizen of Morocco but holds an Italian long-term resident permit.

His application to work in Canada included his resume, a positive labour market impact assessment, a copy of his Canadian job offer and a letter of reference from Marco Ferrari.

karim-ayachi.jpeg
Abdelkarim El Ayachi was denied a permit to work as a pizza chef in Penticton, because an Immigration officer doubted the credibility of his references. A judge has overturned that decision. (Facebook)

A Rome-based Canadian immigration officer denied El Ayachi on the grounds "he failed to demonstrate that he would 'be able to adequately perform' the work he sought in the application."

In notes justifying the refusal, the officer wrote: "I note that letter is signed by Marco Ferrari — same family name as restaurant in Canada."

In his decision, Judge Richard Mosley said it was "clear" the officer doubted Marco Ferrari's credibility, based on the coincidence of the two last names. But he didn't give Ayachi a chance to explain.

The officer also claimed Ayachi provided only "minimal evidence of employment as a pizza cook" — despite what Mosley pointed out was a detailed reference from the man who paid him for two decades.

The lawyer who handled the application, Alex Stojicevic, says the government could have addressed any questions about the relationship between the two Ferraris by contacting the two men.

"As simple as that, we would have told them that no, these two aren't related, and that would have been the end of it," he said.

Stojicevic says the immigration officer's thought process is hard to justify in a multicultural country where many citizens share last names but are not related.

"From that perspective, it's quite shocking. They're in Italy. Just do the Google equivalent of a 411 or look in an old phone book, I'm sure you'll find thousands of Ferraris," he said.

"If this wasn't people's lives being put on hold here for six to eight months, and if it wasn't for a restaurant that's screaming for workers being turned down on a perfectly legitimate one, I would have laughed."

'Hard to start a new life'

In a FaceTime call, Ayachi says his wife and three young children have been looking forward to coming to Canada. They sold their house in anticipation of a move and then were devastated to find he'd been rejected.

Flaminio Ferrari says he's spent two years and more than $10,000 — including court costs — trying to secure a permit for his would-be employee. He found Ayachi after months of advertising both in Canada and abroad.

roberta-ferrari.jpeg
Roberta Ferrari poses at the restaurant she runs with her husband, Gusto Ferrari. The Ferraris are hoping to employ a pizza chef from Italy but their plans ran afoul of immigration officials. (Facebook/Gusto Ferrari)

Ferrari says that after nearly 20 years of cooking at la Piazzetta, Ayachi is an expert in a style of thin, crusty pizza popular in Brescia, in northern Italy.

He says the immigration officer's decision also denied the people of Penticton the taste of a particular type of panini for which the region — and Ayachi — are renowned.

Ferrari and his wife Roberta emigrated to Canada themselves 10 years ago; he says they have worked to establish themselves, first in Burnaby and now in the Okanagan, where they run their restaurant, Gusto Ferrari.

"It was hard to start a new life," he says. "But we worked very hard, and finally now, we live a good life, but we know what is the process of immigration."

In a written statement, the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship said "in cases where the last name of the person writing the reference letter is the same as the one who is offering employment in Canada, questions of credibility can arise."

The department said applicants are guaranteed procedural fairness — which the judge said Ayachi was denied.

The decision means Ayachi's application will be reconsidered by a new immigration officer in Rome.

If Ayachi does get his permit to work in Penticton, he'll find that his new employers aren't the only Ferraris in town. 

Flaminio Ferrari says they've met four other families with the same name. He's not related to any of the others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ferrari-pizza-immigration-names-1.6444364

It's a good thing their family name wasn't "Wong" and the fellow's other employer's family name wasn't also "Wong", considering there are a few different ways to write "Wong" in Chinese despite the same anglicized spelling in most Cantonese speaking locales.  :picard:

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've seen some pretty stupid elections in the past but the people of the Philippines electing Ferdinand Marcos' son has got to take the cake.

I am so glad I renounced my Filipino citizenship :mellow:

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've seen some pretty stupid elections in the past but the people of the Philippines electing Ferdinand Marcos' son has got to take the cake.

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I am so glad I renounced my Filipino citizenship :mellow:

John Oliver did a story on this last night. They've basically whitewashed the crimes of Ferdinand and Imelda.

Seems like only Filipinos who lived through those years know the truth.....and the younger generation doesn't seem interested in listening to them....:picard:

Last week tonight with John Oliver had a segment on this Sunday. 

I can't believe they elected him, with the family still owing billions from the billions that the Marcos stole.  

Being President, he may be able to make a lot of rhat go away, as well as continue to push the narrative that nothing bad happened when his parents ruled. 

Sad.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

John Oliver did a story on this last night. They've basically whitewashed the crimes of Ferdinand and Imelda.

Seems like only Filipinos who lived through those years know the truth.....and the younger generation doesn't seem interested in listening to them....:picard:

I work with some of those older filipinos. they are unanimous in sayihg that we have it exactly upside-down and that the elder Marcos was the best president they ever had. The conviction with which they said it made me think I'd better do some research. 

29 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Last week tonight with John Oliver had a segment on this Sunday. 

I can't believe they elected him, with the family still owing billions from the billions that the Marcos stole.  

Being President, he may be able to make a lot of rhat go away, as well as continue to push the narrative that nothing bad happened when his parents ruled. 

Sad.

These are the same voters that voted in Duterte. Nothing surprises me there. 

6 hours ago, frank einstein said:

I work with some of those older filipinos. they are unanimous in sayihg that we have it exactly upside-down and that the elder Marcos was the best president they ever had. The conviction with which they said it made me think I'd better do some research. 

My parents are pro-Marcoses and voted for Bongbong Marcos. 

While I still feel plenty of his supporters are from the younger generation, there are still those that remember Martial Law as a time of relative peace especially for those who were never impacted directly or indirectly at the atrocities of Martial Law in the past. I think it also helped that my Families business were most profitable during Martial Law. 

Good ol' religion strikes again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/3-year-old-girl-dead-after-family-allegedly-performed-an-exorcism-on-her/ar-AAXeLRJ?li=AAggNb9

The death of a three-year-old girl in San Jose last fall is receiving renewed interest after church leaders in the community said that they performed an exorcism on the child.

The body of Arely Naomi Proctor was found in the basement of a San Jose church last September and her death was ruled a homicide caused by asphyxiation by the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.

Her mother, Claudia Hernandez, has been charged with assault on a child resulting in death.

Officials at the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, where Proctor died, told the San Jose Mercury News that they performed a ceremony on the toddler to "liberate her of her evil spirits," and that her death was "the will of God," and not related to the exorcism.

Court documents obtained by KRON found that the family "believed the child was possessed by a demon and were at the church praying for her,” according to deputy district attorney Rebekah Wise.

Authorities say that Hernandez withheld food from her daughter and squeezed her neck.

"She strangled her multiple times to the point where the victim went unconscious, she stuck her hands down her throat, and continued this course of conduct for almost a full day," Wise wrote in the filings.

According to court records, Hernandez began to suspect her daughter was possessed because she would "wake up and scream or cry periodically."

She told police that she and her brother brought Proctor to the church at 6:30 a.m. on Sept. 24. The girl's mother, uncle, and grandfather allegedly held her down for several hours to perform the ceremony.

Proctor's grandfather Rene Huezo is a pastor of Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas, but he has not been charged in the death; neither has Proctor's uncle.

Proctor's family is accused of attempting to make her vomit, causing "multiple injuries around her eyes, face, neck, and chest," Wise wrote.

After about 12 hours, Proctor died around 6:30 p.m. Her family waited until 8:12 p.m. before they called 911.

No one attempted to give Proctor medical assistance before or after she died, according to court records.

Hernandez is currently in jail awaiting trial and no bail has been set for her release.

KRON reported that a YouTube video posted in January appears to show Hernandez speaking about her daughter's death. The title of the video is Proctor's full name: Arely Naomi Proctor Hernandez.

In it, the woman on camera says, "People can talk but at the end of the day, I know what happened, God knows what happened and the people that were there when she passed away know what happened."

The Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, which operates out of a house in San Jose, was also recently searched by police in connection with a kidnapped baby, Brandon Cuellar.

No evidence of the child was found in the church and police later recovered the baby from an apartment several hours later. Police arrested three suspects and at least one of the individuals detained attended the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church.

Church officials for Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas have not commented on the incident since speaking with the San Jose Mercury News and no lawyer for Hernandez has been identified.

One church preacher, who wasn't involved with the ceremony, told the paper that he disagreed with the term "exorcism" but said that demonic possession is real. "If you read the word of the Lord, you know that Jesus cast away demons," Oscar Ayala stated.

“We know we haven’t done anything dark, and we know that we have a clean conscience, that we haven’t done any harm, that we haven’t provoked the death of the girl," he added.

Proctor's grandfather said he is pained by the death of his granddaughter, but maintains that what happened to her was God's will.

“It’s not when I want to do it, it’s when God, in his will, wants to heal the person. The preacher is like an instrument of God; what we do is what God says.”

The San Jose Police Department said the investigation into Proctor's death is ongoing and did not comment further.

Okay, bible punchers.....think hard about the last few hours of this poor child's life and tell me again about "God's plan"....<_<

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Okay, bible punchers.....think hard about the last few hours of this poor child's life and tell me again about "God's plan"....

Why do people think an all powerful god, who supposedly made the ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE, needs the help of hairless apes?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why do people think an all powerful god, who supposedly made the ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE, needs the help of hairless apes?

What's really maddening about this, is that the child probably has Autism, or some other mental illness that caused her to "act out", or whatever it was that made them think she was possessed.

The aversion to science that seems to go hand in hand with religion is criminal. In this case, literally.....

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What's really maddening about this, is that the child probably has Autism, or some other mental illness that caused her to "act out", or whatever it was that made them think she was possessed.

The aversion to science that seems to go hand in hand with religion is criminal. In this case, literally.....

Aversion to science or even logical thinking.

If you believe in an all powerful, all knowing god- and you believe your baby is possessed then so what?

Isn't your possessed baby just part of gods plan?

And if god wants those demons removed, wouldn't he/she/it do it themselves? 

Also who the heck are these people to question god's will. He allowed that baby to be possessed, why try to change god's mind. Must remember god is all knowing all powerful, so will just do what god wants to do. why beg?

No need to ask or pray about it as god's will, will be done.

Some people should not be allowed to have kids- every single person that was at that "exorcism" should be prosecuted to the furthest extent allowed by law.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Aversion to science or even logical thinking.

If you believe in an all powerful, all knowing god- and you believe your baby is possessed then so what?

Isn't your possessed baby just part of gods plan?

And if god wants those demons removed, wouldn't he/she/it do it themselves? 

Also who the heck are these people to question god's will. He allowed that baby to be possessed, why try to change god's mind. Must remember god is all knowing all powerful, so will just do what god wants to do. why beg?

No need to ask or pray about it as god's will, will be done.

Some people should not be allowed to have kids- every single person that was at that "exorcism" should be prosecuted to the furthest extent allowed by law.

This is the part that has me confused. From what the article says, only the mother was charged, but what about everyone else that stood by and allowed this to happen? Shouldn't they be accessories?

• Like 1