The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

Apologies if we're not supposed to post on American politics any more (and it would be helpful to get some guidelines on that from the mods) but this could be very interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/10/us/politics/bannon-jan-6-trump.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220710&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=98149&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

Bannon, Facing Jail and Fines, Agrees to Testify to Jan. 6 Panel

WASHINGTON — With his criminal trial for contempt of Congress approaching, Stephen K. Bannon, an ally of former President Donald J. Trump’s who was involved in his plans to overturn the 2020 election, has informed the House committee investigating the Capitol attack that he is now willing to testify, according to two letters obtained by The New York Times.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Apologies if we're not supposed to post on American politics any more (and it would be helpful to get some guidelines on that from the mods) but this could be very interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/10/us/politics/bannon-jan-6-trump.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220710&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=98149&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

Bannon, Facing Jail and Fines, Agrees to Testify to Jan. 6 Panel

WASHINGTON — With his criminal trial for contempt of Congress approaching, Stephen K. Bannon, an ally of former President Donald J. Trump’s who was involved in his plans to overturn the 2020 election, has informed the House committee investigating the Capitol attack that he is now willing to testify, according to two letters obtained by The New York Times.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but my understanding is that the pardon Trump granted to Bannon was specifically related to the fraud case, where Bannon and his business partners defrauded people donating to a scheme for building the border wall.

That being the case, SB would have no immunity to prosecution in any case pertaining to the Jan 6th insurrection. That being the case, he might see cooperation with the committee as his only avenue for staying out of jail. Hopefully, this is the case....

• Upvote 1

Hate in Canada-with a dose of potential mental illness;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/calgary-mother-in-disbelief-after-she-says-her-and-her-son-were-threatened-with-being-set-on-fire/ar-AAZqHvl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0237265d8cac4bcdab74f0869972bca6

Kerri Singh and her 14-year-old son were walking towards the TD bank on 8 Avenue and 8 Street S.W. on Friday at around 5:30 p.m., when she said a man came up to them carrying a plastic bottle and a lighter.

"He said: 'I'm not kidding.' He pulled a gasoline container in my face, very close. I could smell it," Singh said. "He said, 'who's going to get lit first?... This is gasoline and I'm going to start you on fire.'"

Thinking quickly, Singh said she pulled her son behind her and attempted to diffuse the situation.

"I told him we are from Canada," Singh said. "Because my son wears a patka, he is Sikh.

"He totally transformed as I said we are from Canada. When I said we were born and raised in Canada, his whole demeanour changed."

patka is a smaller version of a Sikh turban that is usually worn by boys and teens before they begin wearing a turban.

Singh said the man continued yelling at other visible minority individuals who were on the balcony of a nearby apartment. She said she tried to call 911 but she couldn't get through because of the Rogers outage. Then, the mother and son ran inside the bank to call for help.

Singh said the man went back to his vehicle in a nearby alley where she added he had a jerry can of gasoline.

Police said they believe the man threw gas in the face of another man who was in the alley.

"In the meantime, other people gathered at the corner and they said they witnessed somebody else -- a security guard at the other building -- that had actually been doused with gasoline," Singh said

Police took the man into custody shortly after and transported him to hospital for a mental health assessment.

Singh said she feels terrible for saying she was Canadian as a defence, but added that it did seem to help her and her son out of a potentially dangerous situation.

"I didn't realize that things like this could happen in Calgary, especially when I have a son who is a visible minority," she said.

"I feel for anyone who is out there that is a visible minority. It makes me afraid for them because of the rage that is out there. His rage was so intense."

Both Singh and her husband Ron feel this should be pursued as a hate crime.

"When she said she had to use the words, 'we are Canadian' to un-trigger this gentleman from doing what he was attempting to do, it just blows my mind," Ron said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add in:

What the hell is going on in the comment sections to these stories.

Seems like a whole lot of wack jobs out there.

I mean a scary amount.

Edited by gurn

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hopefully there's no politics or religion in Subway's sandwiches... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/subway-tuna-lawsuit-1.6517716

So their "100% tuna" isn't just (or isn't even) tuna, their "chicken" isn't entirely chicken, their "bread" can't be called bread - what's next, that their "lettuce" is actually soylent green?  :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

For a company that markets 'fresh healthy food' they do seem to be bull$&!#ters don't they?

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

California governor signs law allowing gun violence victims to sue firearm manufacturers for damages

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/california-gun-law-victims-sue-manufacturers/index.html

This could really make a huge dent in gun manufactures bottom line if that law actually gets used.

Good.  This is like the cigarette stuff from the 60’s.  Cigarettes kill people.  Guns kill people.  Not just manufacturers should be held accountable but so should those who sell the guns.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/bo-jackson-paid-funeral-expenses-of-uvalde-shooting-victims/ar-AAZS1Tt?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d61e6ffcecbe4af7acfef3377f2591ee

Bo Jackson was known for incredible feats on the football field and baseball diamond. He was truly an anomaly, having been one of the best players in the NFL and Major League Baseball at the same time during a point in the 90s. A lesser part known characteristic of the former Heisman Trophy winner is his charitability.

AAZS0nx.img?w=534&h=330&m=6

The former Oakland Raiders and MLB star revealed this week that he has donated the entire cost for the funerals for the victims of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, earlier this year.

Although Jackson said he doesn’t have any connection to the school — outside driving by the town on hunting trips, he claims he just felt compelled to do so in a statement during an interview with the AP.

The victims of the tragic mass shooting include 19 students and two teachers who were all killed in May.

“I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting old. It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids. It’s just not right,” he told The Associated Press.

“I know every family there probably works their butts off just to do what they do … The last thing they needed was to shell out thousands of dollars for something that never should have happened.”

Jackson said he flew to Uvalde where he met with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for some time before donating $170,000 to cover the funeral expenses. Even though Abbott kept the status of the donor quiet, Jackson announced it anyways just three weeks later.

“We didn’t want media. No one knew we were there … Uvalde is just a town that sticks in your mind. Just the name. I don’t know a soul there. It just touched me.”

A generous gesture from a man who wowed fans with his rare skillset as a successful two-sport athlete.

During his heyday, he spent time with the Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox, Angels and Raiders during his playing career. Before all of that, he destroyed opposing linebackers as a bruising runner for the Auburn Tigers.

Not wanting to make a statement with his donation, he said he wants to put a little sunshine over the cloud of everyone who is suffering.

“I don’t want to turn this into anything [but] what it is,” Jackson said, via The Associated Press. “I was just trying [with the donation] to put a little sunshine in someone’s cloud, a very dark cloud … It’s the children. It’s the children. It’s the children.

“If it doesn’t bother you, something’s wrong with you.”

The Uvalde shooting was the deadliest at a school in the United States since the Sandy Hook massacre in Connecticut in 2012.

[AP]

The post Bo Jackson paid funeral expenses of Uvalde shooting victims appeared first on The Comeback: Today’s Top Sports Stories & Reactions.

• Like 1

I mean, we all know they are evil.

Cats classified as 'invasive alien species' by Polish institute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/house-cats-invasive-species-polish-institute-1.6532330

'A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife.

Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive.

Wojciech Solarz, a biologist at the state-run Polish Academy of Sciences, wasn't prepared for the disapproving public response when he entered Felis catus, the scientific name for the common house cat, into a national database run by the academy's Institute of Nature Conservation. 

The database already had 1,786 other species listed with no objections, Solarz told The Associated Press. Invasive alien species No. 1,787, however, is a creature so beloved that it often is honoured in Poland's pet cemeteries, often reserved for cats and dogs. 

Solarz described the growing scientific consensus that domestic cats can have a harmful impact on biodiversity, given the number of birds and mammals they hunt and kill.

The criteria for including the cat among alien invasive species, "are 100 per cent met by the cat," he said.'

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I mean, we all know they are evil.

Cats classified as 'invasive alien species' by Polish institute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/house-cats-invasive-species-polish-institute-1.6532330

'A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife.

Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive.

Wojciech Solarz, a biologist at the state-run Polish Academy of Sciences, wasn't prepared for the disapproving public response when he entered Felis catus, the scientific name for the common house cat, into a national database run by the academy's Institute of Nature Conservation. 

The database already had 1,786 other species listed with no objections, Solarz told The Associated Press. Invasive alien species No. 1,787, however, is a creature so beloved that it often is honoured in Poland's pet cemeteries, often reserved for cats and dogs. 

Solarz described the growing scientific consensus that domestic cats can have a harmful impact on biodiversity, given the number of birds and mammals they hunt and kill.

The criteria for including the cat among alien invasive species, "are 100 per cent met by the cat," he said.'

A dog will make sure you're safe in traffic, jump in front of a bullet for you, be your best friend no matter what. 

A cat would eat you if it could. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

A dog will make sure you're safe in traffic, jump in front of a bullet for you, be your best friend no matter what. 

A cat would eat you if it could. 

Yes they would.  Evil kitties 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Glad to see that the Americans aren't being intimidated by the Chinese.

Dry weather is emptying the American aquivers and surface storage. How long before they look to Canada for major diversion of water south? IMHO it will be the end of Canada. My tin foil hat tells me the reason the Canadian oil industry was trashed was to keep Canada weak enough to be compliant. It was the only vehicle that could have generated the dollars to allow an independent Canada.   

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Glad to see that the Americans aren't being intimidated by the Chinese.

Dry weather is emptying the American aquivers and surface storage. How long before they look to Canada for major diversion of water south? IMHO it will be the end of Canada. My tin foil hat tells me the reason the Canadian oil industry was trashed was to keep Canada weak enough to be compliant. It was the only vehicle that could have generated the dollars to allow an independent Canada.   

Fury Road.

Where are us humans at with desalination?

I always thought that could save us.

• Upvote 1