The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We should figure out how to do it cheaper before we need to call Mad Max. 

just doing a quick scan, looks like there might be some new membrane tech and ideas around solar power usage to make it cheaper. 

makes a lot of sense for the south US. It just needs to be tied to something dumb like gun shortages and we'll see it happen asap. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

just doing a quick scan, looks like there might be some new membrane tech and ideas around solar power usage to make it cheaper. 

makes a lot of sense for the south US. It just needs to be tied to something dumb like gun shortages and we'll see it happen asap. 

Whenever I hear a concern about fresh water I wonder about it.

That ocean is pretty big. If things get so desperate that countries would consider to go to war over water, I obviously hope that some developments in this field could occur first.

• Like 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

That ocean is pretty big. If things get so desperate that countries would consider to go to war over water, I obviously hope that some developments in this field could occur first.

we have the tech now, Cali already has something like 12 of them in operation. Isreal I think is close to 1/2 of their water being produced this way.

The US doesn't have to take us over for fresh water. They already have Great Lakes and can stick a pipe in them anytime they want to. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We were in Cabo San Lucas years ago and were told all the water in the resort was sourced from under the beach in front of the buildings. The salt water was strained thru the sand and filters to produce potable water. I had never heard of this before. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

we have the tech now, Cali already has something like 12 of them in operation. Isreal I think is close to 1/2 of their water being produced this way.

The US doesn't have to take us over for fresh water. They already have Great Lakes and can stick a pipe in them anytime they want to. 

The Great Lakes Compact agreement passed by Geo Bush in 2008 gives Great Lakes border states and Ontario and Quebec veto power to large diversion of Great Lakes water. That said if the water is not moved out of state then border states can access the water. These exceptions are increasing each year.

The Ogallala Aquifer in the mid-west supplies water to 1/5 of all USA corn, wheat, cotton and cattle production. Some thought that populations will migrate to the water rather then pipe it out.  

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Great Lakes Compact agreement passed by Geo Bush in 2008 gives Great Lakes border states and Ontario and Quebec veto power to large diversion of Great Lakes water. That said if the water is not moved out of state then border states can access the water. These exceptions are increasing each year.

The Ogallala Aquifer in the mid-west supplies water to 1/5 of all USA corn, wheat, cotton and cattle production. Some thought that populations will migrate to the water rather then pipe it out.  

I think if the US wanted to, it would find a way around that agreement, I mean look what Trump did on aluminum e.g. I just don't think they'd need to take us over, they'd just take the water they wanted and there isn't anything we could really do about it. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think if the US wanted to, it would find a way around that agreement, I mean look what Trump did on aluminum e.g. I just don't think they'd need to take us over, they'd just take the water they wanted and there isn't anything we could really do about it. 

I know I sound like a broken record but my championing the energy sector was the only avenue I saw of preventing an almost inevitable takeover by the Americans. The revenue would have made Canada a far more independent force. I realize it would have guranteed nothing if the Americans used overt force. I admire the Americans for many things but the Canadian reality is that the USA has used us just as we have used them. The difference being that they are 10X bigger. 

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I know I sound like a broken record but my championing the energy sector was the only avenue I saw of preventing an almost inevitable takeover by the Americans. The revenue would have made Canada a far more independent force. I realize it would have guranteed nothing if the Americans used overt force. I admire the Americans for many things but the Canadian reality is that the USA has used us just as we have used them. The difference being that they are 10X bigger. 

I'm hoping we can make up for some of that in mining, given the boost in EV production. We could be a significant player in this area: https://home.kpmg/ca/en/home/insights/2022/06/how-canada-could-become-a-global-powerhouse-in-ev-production.html

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm hoping we can make up for some of that in mining, given the boost in EV production. We could be a significant player in this area: https://home.kpmg/ca/en/home/insights/2022/06/how-canada-could-become-a-global-powerhouse-in-ev-production.html

There is also the opportunity to sell Europe more Canadian LNG, and perhaps some updated Candu reactors.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

There is also the opportunity to sell Europe more Canadian LNG, and perhaps some updated Candu reactors.

I'm pretty hopeful on the small nuke front, some pretty cool work being done at the NRC: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/our-natural-resources/energy-sources-distribution/nuclear-energy-uranium/canadas-small-nuclear-reactor-action-plan/21183

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:27 PM, JM_ said:

Bill Gates was financing a proto type small reactor model. It was to be built in China but I have not heard if it is moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, Boudrias said:

We were in Cabo San Lucas years ago and were told all the water in the resort was sourced from under the beach in front of the buildings. The salt water was strained thru the sand and filters to produce potable water. I had never heard of this before. 

Who the hell drinks water, when you're in Cabo? :unsure:

On 8/2/2022 at 1:50 PM, JM_ said:

.. I think you’ll like this ..

• Haha 3