The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battles at camp

smithers joe

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I see:

'Offensive' lines:

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson (C or RW), ____ (sheltered 'Sedin' usage)

'Defensive' lines:

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th:

____

5 spots available for Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gagner, Gaudette, Leipsic, Gaunce, Dahlen, Archibald etc. Bolded guys all but certainly somewhere in 3 of those 5 (barring any trades) spots leaving two additional spots open for the taking.

Italicized don't require waivers, underlined would likely clear.

May the best men win.

To me that spells Gagner as 13th and Goldobin vs Leipsic battle royal.

This is by far the best way to sum up these battles IMO. 

What I hope for is Gagner being waived, Goldy/Leipsic sharing the press box and being inserted into the lineup depending on who we are playing (with hope that Goldy plays his way into a permanent position). 

Gaudette, Dahlen or Archie being first call-ups depending on who needs to be replaced.

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

This is by far the best way to sum up these battles IMO. 

What I hope for is Gagner being waived, Goldy/Leipsic sharing the press box and being inserted into the lineup depending on who we are playing (with hope that Goldy plays his way into a permanent position). 

Gaudette, Dahlen or Archie being first call-ups depending on who needs to be replaced.

I'd like to see Gagner 50% retained packaged with another player for Anisimov + futures. Anisimov can then 2C for a couple years until Pettersson gets his footing.

'Offensive' lines:

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Anisimov, Pettersson (sheltered 'Sedin' usage)

'Defensive' lines:

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th:

____

Guys like Schaller don't have to start with the Canucks.

It's unlikely another team would pick him up. We picked him up on free agency. If some other team wants to take a flyer on him, we can live with it. He only plays if he's top 13 on the roster.

2 hours ago, jmahyoung said:

It's unlikely another team would pick him up. We picked him up on free agency. If some other team wants to take a flyer on him, we can live with it. He only plays if he's top 13 on the roster.

Yeah, he does. He'd be picked up in a heart beat. 

4 hours ago, jmahyoung said:

Schaller scored 12 goals last year. That’s 4th most NHL goals last season out of our current roster.

Plus he’s easily the grittiest of our forwards. He will play. In fact I can see him being put onto a line with Pettersson as a minder and deterrent to stop cheap shots. Perhaps a fourth line of:

Schaller Gagner Pettersson

Where Pettersson and Gagner get sheltered minutes 5v5 but pick up more TOI on the PP. Also makes it easy for Pettersson to step into the C role on that line on the odd shift to see how he goes.

Having suggested that, I would prefer that Gagner is traded and Gaudette or Granlund takes that spot, but I don’t see that happening.

8 hours ago, Sorry, did I Sutter? said:

Okay so I think I had a revelation... not saying it is what I want but Chris Tanev for Nazem Kadri. That’s right up Jim’s alley. Toronto is probably just sweeting Jim for a few draft picks. 

No more Tanev trade proposals please..

On 7/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, Schmautzie said:

If Benning can be believed he’s not afraid to sit or send down veterans who are outplayed by the younger guys. I think he would rather endure the embarrassment of sending Gagner down than losing a young asset like Goldobin or Leipsic on waivers for nothing.

I find it hard to believe there would be zero takers for Gagner in return for a 4th round pick.  I just don't see a reason to waive a guy who can obviously play in the NHL.

15 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I find it hard to believe there would be zero takers for Gagner in return for a 4th round pick.  I just don't see a reason to waive a guy who can obviously play in the NHL.

People are worrying far too much about Gagner. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

People are worrying far too much about Gagner. 

I think in general, people are worrying that we won't have enough room on the team for all our players.  Or, worse yet, that our young guys who are potentially ready for the NHL won't have a spot on the team.  

From my perspective, this is a GREAT problem to have, and am confident that if a guy is ready that Green will find a way to make room for him.  Plus, despite us going through it for years straight now, people are quick to forget that injuries always add up on this team, so that extra depth will be handy.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think in general, people are worrying that we won't have enough room on the team for all our players.  Or, worse yet, that our young guys who are potentially ready for the NHL won't have a spot on the team.  

From my perspective, this is a GREAT problem to have, and am confident that if a guy is ready that Green will find a way to make room for him.  Plus, despite us going through it for years straight now, people are quick to forget that injuries always add up on this team, so that extra depth will be handy.

Pretty much.

I mean if our kids can't out play Gagner, are they REALLY ready?

Depth is a good 'problem' to have (not even just for injuries as you mention).

Again, people are FAR to concerned about Gagner. But I suppose it's better their ire is focused on him rather than a kid or some poor schmuck like Megna.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty much.

I mean if our kids can't out play Gagner, are they REALLY ready?

Depth is a good 'problem' to have (not even just for injuries as you mention).

Again, people are FAR to concerned about Gagner. But I suppose it's better their ire is focused on him rather than a kid or some poor schmuck like Megna.

Gagner was gifted a spot over Rodin and others last year....if he gets gifted a spot over Gaudette or Dahlen....then most of us will be pissed....!

He couldn't check his hat...let alone venture into a dark corner with some mean players....!

On 7/7/2018 at 2:35 PM, Alflives said:

Markstrom

Nilssen

Edler Guddy

Tanev Hughes

MDZ Juiolevi 

Pouliot/Stecher/Hutton

Baer Bo Boeser

Pettersson Sutter Virtanen 

Roussel Granlund Errikson

Schaller Beagle Gaunce

Gagner/Goldy

where's Gaudette?....would like to see a Dahlen, Gaudette, Pettersson line and them blowing the doors off of Roger's place making it an obvious decision...

...but you know, some people have a hard time grasping the obvious, which is very unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

where's Gaudette?....would like to see a Dahlen, Gaudette, Pettersson line and them blowing the doors off of Roger's place making it an obvious decision...

...but you know, some people have a hard time grasping the obvious, which is very unfortunate.

Missed Gaudette and Dahlen.  Crap, we have a lot of really good young players!  

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

or we could wait for that until at least March. Just look one province over for what happens when you rush skilled players. Have at last a 1/2 season of patience. 

Barring Trades...…………..which are not normally done at the beginning of the season...…….

Roster at the start of the Season...………..before the first game

Baertschi Horvat Boeser                 Edler - Gudbranson               Markstrom

Granlund Sutter Eriksson                MDZ - Tanev                         Nilsson

Goldobin Gagner Virtanen              Hutton -Stecher

Rousell Beagle Schaller

Gaunce                                            Pouliot and Biega                     XXXX

Roster at the start of the Season...…............after the first game

Pettersson Horvat Boeser               Edler - Gudbranson                 Markstrom

Baertschi  Sutter  Eriksson              MDZ - Tanev                           Nilsson

Granlund  Gagner  Virtanen            Hutton - Stecher

Rousell  Beagle   Schaller

Goldobin and Gaunce                      Pouliot and Biega

Roster after the TDL........................Trades at TDL ( Gagner, Baertschi, Hutton and Nilsson)

Pettersson Horvat  Boeser               Edler - Gudbranson                Markstrom

Dahlen    Sutter    Eriksson              Hughes - Tanev                      Demko

Granlund Gaudette Virtanen            Pouliot - Stecher

Rousell   Beagle   Schaller

Goldobin and Gaunce                      Sautner and Biega   

Why???

Gagner 50% will be traded back to Columbus for their PP for a 2nd

Baertschi will be traded to NYI for a 2nd

Hutton 50% after being somewhat sheltered, will be traded to Pittsburgh for a 2nd

Nilsson will be traded to Dynamo of the KHL for Boris Idonotiveafkov (Probably put on waivers and sent down)

On 7/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Psycho_Path said:

That's pretty much the lineup I'd like to see, though I'd rather see Leipsic on the 3rd than Roussel, not to say that Roussel wouldn't be a good fit on that line. Also like the idea of that but switching the top 2 centers with their linemates at times to see how they gel.

Ya I agree.

Leipsic probably works well on the 3rd...all three guys like to drive the play north-south so might actually be a good fit.

Archived