The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at the Draft

Shekky

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Can't wait for the near future when the rest of the country and league go, "Holy begeesis, where did the Canucks come from all of a sudden?"

Yup, same.  Past couple of years it was mostly derision but so far this off-season it's been quieter, aside from the "What are the Canucks doing; FA signings don't make sense; who's gonna score" storyline.  Once the kids get traction, which will be this year or next, and after the "it's just flash-in-the-pan fools gold" dismissals it's going to be "how'd this happen; they didn't #properrebuild; what is this sorcery?"

Funny part is, like a number of folks here, they won't be able to say "they delayed the rebuild, just started it last year" because it will be obvious the page has turned and they're already on the way back up without any "blowing it up" or "all-the-pickz".  Will be interesting to see what new storyline they come up with.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, same.  Past couple of years it was mostly derision but so far this off-season it's been quieter, aside from the "What are the Canucks doing; FA signings don't make sense; who's gonna score" storyline.  Once the kids get traction, which will be this year or next, and after the "it's just flash-in-the-pan fools gold" dismissals it's going to be "how'd this happen; they didn't #properrebuild; what is this sorcery?"

Funny part is, like a number of folks here, they won't be able to say "they delayed the rebuild, just started it last year" because it will be obvious the page has turned and they're already on the way back up without any "blowing it up" or "all-the-pickz".  Will be interesting to see what new storyline they come up with.

I think it'll actually be more like "I knew it all along", "I picked us to draft Pettersson from the beginning", "I told you Hughes could play even though hes 5'10", etc from the same doubters. But of course there will still be "Fire Benning, we traded Forsling for Clendening? Benning is terrible at trades".

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hasek was drafted in the 10th round and Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th. That's why I'd rather not chance any more high picks on goalies.

I liked the Thiessen pick in the 7th round. He could become a decent goalie for us and the route he's taking gives a longer time for development. Exactly what they need right now why'll they see what they have in Demko and Dipietro.

True.  Goalies take longer to develop so drafting them has more inherent risk.

So what does it take for Benning to draft a goalie high?  Not feeling there is a future #1 in the system?  I have to wonder whether Benning was drafting for position when he took Demko in the 2nd (36) in his first draft (2014) and even DiPietro in the 3rd (64) in 2017 or was it BPA? 

Considering how he shot down Brackett when he suggested taking a goalie in the 3rd round in this draft.  He said that they already had 2 good goalies (and I would say that he is now fairly confident that 1 of them will make a future #1) and he might have taken another if they had a second 3rd round pick.  This would have been a much more risky selection than Madden (who they all seemed to like).

Was the goalie that Brackett suggested the BPA?

The decision making process here is fascinating.

Benning once said that he wants to hit on his 1st and 2nd picks and one of his other picks every year.  That's a pretty high standard.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ya because as it is playing out, it was going to take X years regardless what Benning did.  

As long as the draftees were developed well and reached their potential or better.  I think that this has been a consistent theme since 2014.  Develop well.

I know a lot of posters are saying that the rebuild could not happen as long as the Sedins were around but who better to hold out as an example both on and off the ice for the young players to aspire to?

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

True.  Goalies take longer to develop so drafting them has more inherent risk.

So what does it take for Benning to draft a goalie high?  Not feeling there is a future #1 in the system?  I have to wonder whether Benning was drafting for position when he took Demko in the 2nd (36) in his first draft (2014) and even DiPietro in the 3rd (64) in 2017 or was it BPA? 

I think with the Demko selection he was the best player available. He was the highest ranked North American goalie who somehow slipped down to us. The bonus was that we also desperately needed a goalie, with Cannata being our only real goalie prospect at the time.

With Dipietro I think it was the same thing. They could't let a highly ranked goalie slip by them. He had just put up a dominant performance on his way to winning a memorial cup. Definitely a good gamble with a 3rd round pick, and like Benning said "you can never have too many good goalies". No guarantees Demko will be a starter.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think with the Demko selection he was the best player available. He was the highest ranked North American goalie who somehow slipped down to us. The bonus was that we also desperately needed a goalie, with Cannata being our only real goalie prospect at the time.

With Dipietro I think it was the same thing. They could't let a highly ranked goalie slip by them. He had just put up a dominant performance on his way to winning a memorial cup. Definitely a good gamble with a 3rd round pick, and like Benning said "you can never have too many good goalies". No guarantees Demko will be a starter.

But there was need then, does Benning make the same call now?  Or are we looking for a Lundquist falling to the 7th round?

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

But there was need then, does Benning make the same call now?  Or are we looking for a Lundquist falling to the 7th round?

No which is why he passed on whatever goalie they were talking about.

Unless another goalie like Fleury is available I think we're done drafting goalies for a little bit.

I would rather to draft goaltender once every 3 years.   Goaltender is one of the shortest career of all hockey players out there as they takes longer to develop and when they finally make the team, they have maybe a 10 years NHL hockey career and if there's ever 1B goaltender came along, you would want to have 3rd goaltender close to be ready to replace 1B than drafting a goaltender once every 4 years.   If 1B goaltender choose to leave and there's a void in the back-up role.   Goaltender is one of the difficult position to draft and to predict into the future of his potential due to limited supply of goaltender around youth hockey as many hockey players rather to play as a skater than being a goalie.  .

On 7/19/2018 at 8:53 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Weirdly enough the only year they did not do this mic up at the draft was in 2016. Wonder what happened there.

Most likely disappointed that Dubois got picked by Columbus and missing out on a first line player. Going with their second choice in OJ, who I think they projected as #2/#3 dman kind of like Edler.

20 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah it has been quieter.

I mean, I'm in Australia. But last year I recall TSN, and general sports reporting suggesting WTF are the Canucks doing signing four UFA's? Then piling on with Vanek. Its time to play the youth was the outrage? ''Don't the Canucks know they're rebuilding?'' It was everywhere!

But this year we probably have even more youth who could play NHL? Leipsic >> Megna! Yet we signed another three forwards. This time, they also all look like locks. But, but...

There does not seem to be the same noise we are doing a disservice to our youth.

#1 Benning proved he would play youth if they deserved it. #2 even with all the signings we did not have the depth to play out a good season. Then in & among, our fans, even the media as a whole has started to trust Benning more. Not just because, in retrospect, Vanek did not hold back anyone? But also because, well, Demko was served well by not being propped up into a NHL role. Most likely the noise in fact calmed down indirectly. Because Boeser & Pettersson smashed it out of the park, Gaudette, Dahlen, Demko & Lind all had positive seasons.

People are less concerned about secondary parts. The ''actual'' rebuild is going well! 

And at a different level, the players we have brought in this year, are badly needed for the role they offer our team. And no one on our team, Gadjovich aside & he's not ready, can play the role they do. And not just, definitely not just, because they help provide a ''safe work environment!'' This year they are also salt of the Earth guys & hockey players. Like Burrows and Bieksa, Hansen, Malhotra? Who care about their teammates, play with heart on the forecheck, train like it matters, do gags in the room, win face off's, kill penalties at the expense of their own bodies. We were starting to miss that & those kind of guys!     

10 hours ago, khay said:

Most likely disappointed that Dubois got picked by Columbus and missing out on a first line player. Going with their second choice in OJ, who I think they projected as #2/#3 dman kind of like Edler.

Benning gave an interview where he said one of the Ds projected as a D1.  Juolevi was the first D picked that draft.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, NUCKER67 said:

I'm still really surprised they got Hughes at #7. Will have to watch the video later, when I get home. This is what I expect (but I might be totally wrong too)

Dahlin - Will win more than 1 Norris in his career. 

Svechnikov - Will lead the Canes, but he plays in CAR, so his hype will be tempered.

Kotkaniemi - Will be a good 2nd Line C (sorry MTL)

Tkachuk - Will cause the Sens problems, I suspect he'll ask for a trade eventually - to CGY no doubt.

Hayton - Really ARI? Good luck with that. He'll be a pretty good C, but passing on Zadina and Hughes?

Zadina - Great pick by DET, they got lucky.

Hughes - Will also win a Norris, and a Cup in VAN. Best skater in the draft. Could've gone at #3.

Hayton is similar to Horvat and Bergeron. You need those type of guys as much as snipers.

On 7/21/2018 at 5:00 AM, DeNiro said:

Funny when Demko was picked I felt that Vancouver already had Eddie Lack as the team's #1 goalie and Markstrom could be a 1B.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I sure don't think that is happening but it will be only way Canucks can draft first overall next year. 

There is literally no way that the team will be worse. Open roster spots will promote a healthy level of competition, as will the skill coming in.

The projections for this team who think they will be able to be that low in the standings to have a reasonable lottery chance are simply ignoring how well they played when not injured last year, how unlikely it is to be as injured next year, how much the signed additions will positively add to the team, how much growth Ian will add to the goalies and how much more the competition for spots this year will add to overall team play.

Very true. I look at how the team managed Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh and other teams. The FA acquisitions provided additional muscle to not only protect the young players, but to solidify the Canucks as a younger, leaner, and meaner team. I think Vancouver's reputation as a team that doesn't fight back is changing and will be nothing more than a memory this coming season.

Too much emphasis has been placed on analytics in the hockey world, and as proven by last year's outcome in the standings, no one really has a clue when their noses are buried in spreadsheets.

Yes, Sedins points will be hard to replace but Canucks are going to surprise a lot of teams this year and, apparently after reading a lot of CDC opinion, a lot of fans too.

They will be replaced. Their legacy will live on, but they were two 37 year old players in the twilight of their careers. They went out as perfectly as they could have, and did it for the team. That gesture should also embolden the team to do right by their former teammates.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They will be replaced. Their legacy will live on, but they were two 37 year old players in the twilight of their careers.

Indeed.  On-ice, I think it is difficult for many to realize how their lack of speed also *cost* us goals. By all rights, we should be a far faster team without them.  And while making up all those points (along with those from Vanek) will be challenging, it may not be quite as bad as some think.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Indeed.  On-ice, I think it is difficult for many to realize how their lack of speed also *cost* us goals. By all rights, we should be a far faster team without them.  And while making up all those points (along with those from Vanek) will be challenging, it may not be quite as bad as some think.

I think most informed Canucks fans realize that while it was sad to see an era end, it's was also a signal that the future is here, and the team has players ready to take on bigger roles.

The team did show a huge amount of resolve last year which was missing from seasons before. There is an identity that is forming that is definite. While I don't like to make predictions, I have a feeling that the Canucks will do better than most think they will.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, playboi19 said:

Hayton is similar to Horvat and Bergeron. You need those type of guys as much as snipers.

Or, Hayton was one of the few Cs available in the Top 15 and ARI wanted a C. Kotkaniemi was gone, took the next best one.   

We'll have to see if he's comparable to Horvat and Bergeron.

I think the Canucks got the 2nd best players in 2017 (Pettersson) and 2018 (Hughes), but again, we'll have to see.

Archived