The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at the Draft

Shekky

I'm still really surprised they got Hughes at #7. Will have to watch the video later, when I get home. This is what I expect (but I might be totally wrong too)

Dahlin - Will win more than 1 Norris in his career. 

Svechnikov - Will lead the Canes, but he plays in CAR, so his hype will be tempered.

Kotkaniemi - Will be a good 2nd Line C (sorry MTL)

Tkachuk - Will cause the Sens problems, I suspect he'll ask for a trade eventually - to CGY no doubt.

Hayton - Really ARI? Good luck with that. He'll be a pretty good C, but passing on Zadina and Hughes?

Zadina - Great pick by DET, they got lucky.

Hughes - Will also win a Norris, and a Cup in VAN. Best skater in the draft. Could've gone at #3.

Surprised that Jim was going to trade our 2nd if Woo was no longer on the board despite Wilde still being available. Guess they didn't like him at all. Wilde was one of the guys I thought would be a good fit for us, but seems there was reasonable concern since he dropped quite a bit.

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Clear that Benning, Brackett and Weisbrod would have taken Hughes at 6..

Also had Dubas sniffing around for pick 37, Fenton and Armstrong as well...

Interesting how much consensus they work within....

I think he would have taken Hughes at 4 if he could have.  Based on the video he would have had hughes above Zadina.  Everybody other that Pheonixx would have taken Hughes over Barrett Hayton, I would also assume that he would have gone above kotkaniemi as.  I do think Benning would have taken Tkatchuk at 3 though.  

I wonder what TO offered for 37?  I'm thinking their 2nd and 3rd?  I'm glad that Benning was that high on Woo though.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Clear that Benning, Brackett and Weisbrod would have taken Hughes at 6..

Also had Dubas sniffing around for pick 37, Fenton and Armstrong as well...

Interesting how much consensus they work within....

I'd love to know what Dubas was offering. TO was pretty high on Woo as well I bet. 

I love the disbelief that Hughes dropped so far :lol: 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, oldnews said:

As far as 7 is concerned, I think there are that many players in the mix - it's nearly impossible to write off any of Hughes, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson as possibilities at 7.

And additionally, Benning has been anything but predictable with his first round picks - he never really tips his hand and tends to actually run some misdirection by talking about players quite glowingly before the draft that he then passes on when it's time to lay his cards down.

It would be hard to be disappointed with any of those players - it's that hard to separate them.

Almost as interesting is who will be available at 37.

Focusing on D (impossible to say who'd be bpa at this point) - but as far as D are concerned, I've had Nils Lundkvist/Lundqvist as a hopeful for some time, but it's looking more and more like he'll be gone by 37.  Alexeyev also likely to be gone.

Jett Woo might be still be around in that range.  Also like Mattias Samuelson as a more hard nosed option if we get a pmd at 7.

Perhaps a guy like Ty Emberson in the 3rd if they're looking to load up a few RHD in the pool.

Certainly seems like an unusually deep draft for rhd.

Looking back - it seems like both these picks - 7 and 37 turned out as virtual best-case-scenarios.

And the amount of interest in pick 37 seems to indicate that there was a fairly pronounced perception that the draft dropped off in depth of quality around/beyond that point (as did the team's own firmness in not entertaining dealing that pick/trading down).

I'd be lying if I said I was pumped we got Hughes. I really wanted Zadina or Boqvist. I never watched Hughes highlights because he was projected to go 4-6 (basically no chance of us getting him pre-lottery). I am so pumped we got him, and after watching him I would of taken him over Zadina as well. This kid is special. 

Will Woo be the next Boeser/Lind? :)

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hayton - Really ARI? Good luck with that. He'll be a pretty good C, but passing on Zadina and Hughes?

we really need to remember to give Chayka a standing ovation when he's here for the 2019 draft. 

Archived