The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Port Coquitlam Workers Fired Over Theft Want Their Jobs Back

DonLever

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

dont be bitching about unions  if there wasn't unions there would be no work safety regulations  no paid stat holidays no overtime no paid breaks no employment standards no workers rights   we would be making a dollar a day  so give your head a shake 

So we'll march day and night by the big cooling tower;

They have the plant but we have the power. 

Y'all just jelly youz aint in a union. 

Seriously though, due process.  If the evidence is there than obviously termination is in order. 

7 hours ago, gurn said:

So most posters have already decided the workers are guilty, without knowing anything other than what a news release from the city said.

fortunately the system has checks and balances to ensure people get a fair hearing.

They were going to have a fair hearing but the wiring to the building is missing so it has been postponed.....

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

What? We're talking about Public Works? Stealing copper?.. Kinda surprised they had the work ethic required to almost pull that off.

I mean really. I'm sure you've seen Public Works guys at "work". 

Talk about theft. It takes eight guys and a backhoe, staring at a pot hole for seven hours, just to fill it with sand.

Those guys are a bunch of lazy mother&^@#ers.

I work for a city in the lower mainland and can verify that this is true. 

Heard something crazy on the radio yesterday, and figure this is a good a place as any to post it since it is similar.  Except in this case the punishment is waaaaay on the low side.

SACRAMENTO — A state Department of Motor Vehicles worker slept at least three hours a day on the job for nearly four years, slowing down processing times in an agency known for its long waits, a state audit said Tuesday.

According to the state auditor’s report, the DMV worker napped at her desk for an estimated 2,200 hours of work time between February 2014 and December 2017, costing the state more than $40,000. The employee’s name was not released.

The employee’s supervisors failed to discipline her, despite noting in her performance evaluations that she routinely slept on the job, the audit said.

In response to the audit, the DMV said it could not take disciplinary action against the employee because her behavior had not been properly documented. A warning was issued to the employee in March that she could be disciplined for future on-the-job naps.

Her supervisors were required to complete additional training, the DMV told auditors.

The woman works as a data operator, a position responsible for keying in changes of address and new vehicle ownership forms. On average, auditors said, data operators process 560 documents a day. Their sleepy colleague averaged 200 documents daily, which witnesses told auditors were often error-ridden.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-DMV-worker-slept-3-hours-a-day-on-the-13101363.php

I understand they can't discipline her properly since it was never written up before, but those supervisors need to get their asses kicked for being negligent as well.  But they get sentenced to... training.

More related to the OP, a family member works at an airport down here as an electrician.  Government, union job.  Taking anything, including trash, is grounds for immediate dismissal.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Heard something crazy on the radio yesterday, and figure this is a good a place as any to post it since it is similar.  Except in this case the punishment is waaaaay on the low side.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-DMV-worker-slept-3-hours-a-day-on-the-13101363.php

I understand they can't discipline her properly since it was never written up before, but those supervisors need to get their asses kicked for being negligent as well.  But they get sentenced to... training.

More related to the OP, a family member works at an airport down here as an electrician.  Government, union job.  Taking anything, including trash, is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Ha nice, this one is better though:

Man Skipped Work For 6 Years And No One Noticed Until He Won An Award

“I wondered whether he was still working there, had he retired, had he died? But the payroll showed he was still receiving a salary.”
56c1e2e21f00007f00217fed.jpeg?cache=ycl3
Darrin Klimek via Getty Images

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Download

For six years, a building supervisor in Spain quietly collected a $41,500 salary from his local government without showing up for work. 

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for him getting an award for his 20 years of loyal service.

Joaquín García, 69, was recently fined $30,000 for the extended paid vacation from a water treatment plant in Cádiz — the maximum penalty government officials could deliver, the BBC reported.

According to deputy mayor Jorge Blas, it wasn’t until Garcia was due to be recognized for his hard work in 2010 that authorities realized his office was sitting vacant.

“I wondered whether he was still working there, had he retired, had he died? But the payroll showed he was still receiving a salary,” Blas told Spanish newspaper El Mundo, according to The Local.

“I called him up and asked him, ‘What did you do yesterday? The month before, the month before that?’ He didn’t know what to say,” Blas said.

Garcia’s water company coworkers thought the plant was being overseen by local authorities because they hadn’t seen Garcia in so long.

Garcia’s attorney, speaking on his behalf, reportedly blamed bullying at his workplace for his absence. He also said there was no work to do.

People close to Garcia told El Mundo that he dedicated himself to reading philosophy instead and that he did not report the bullying out of fear that he could be fired.

Garcia retired after the allegations came to light, though he denies wrongdoing.

In the end, a court sided with the government, recently ordering him to pay the five-digit fine.

Garcia has since petitioned to the deputy mayor not to pay the fine and to have the judgment reviewed, The Local reported.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-skipped-work-for-6-years_us_56c1d32ae4b0b40245c72512

Then he gets busted and blames it on bullying. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Ha nice, this one is better though:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-skipped-work-for-6-years_us_56c1d32ae4b0b40245c72512

Then he gets busted and blames it on bullying. 

Holy crap.  That is hilarious.

How the hell can this guy deny any wrongdoing?  More weak punishment though.  That is some serious theft stealing 6 years worth of salary.

But, similar to the DMV story, how the hell does it go basically unnoticed?  

13 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

A buddy who is an electrician threw the copper wire cuttings of all his jobs into the back of his pick up for a few years. Made an extra 30k 

During my refrigeration apprenticeship guys would fo it all the time.

37 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

And then there are those jerks that post on hockey message boards while they are supposed to be working  :ph34r:

Degrees of jerk....

One is essentially stealing from a private citizen (private company).

The other is essentially stealing from everyone (taxpayer).

Which reminds me of this....:P

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

It's truly remarkable how much time you guys can waste.

To be fair I’d say the real dog-screwers are the minority. Some of them are just really, really bad. Like maybe actually work for 3-4 hours in an 8 hour day. 

Problem is there isn’t many ways of stopping it the way the city work environments are set up. The work allotted to employees as per the CBA and their job descriptions is really minimal so as long as it gets done there’s not much flak the employee can catch. All you have to do as an employee to stick around- or even get promoted- is show up on time, do the little bit of work that’s asked of you, and get along with everybody. Social skills get you way farther than work ethic will. I came into my city job with my private-sector mindset of busting ass and a couple months in I realize it wouldn’t do me much good. I eased up on the effort a little and put more effort into interacting with my coworkers and superiors and it’s done way more for me than putting the nose to the grindstone. It’s a strange environment to get used to. 

Archived