The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Port Coquitlam Workers Fired Over Theft Want Their Jobs Back

DonLever

From Global:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4353574/port-coquitlam-copper/

Seven Port Coquitlam city workers who were fired for allegedly stealing and selling copper pipes are fighting to get their jobs back.

CUPE Local 498, the union that represents the workers, said grievances were filed against the city the same day the employees were fired.

“We filed grievances based on the union’s decision that the terminations were unjustified,” said CUPE 498 second vice president Ron Narayan.

“Based on the statements from the employees and the evidence that the city had at that point, that’s when the decision was made that the decision to terminate was unjust.”

The City of Port Coquitlam alleges that the seven employees, all in the public works department, stole the copper over the course of a decade in a “highly-coordinated” operation.

The actual value of the material is unknown, but the city claims the workers sold it illegally for more than $75,000.

The individual participants allegedly pocketed between $100 and $10,000 for their part in the scheme, the city claims.

It also claims the workers were fired for cause, meaning they will not receive severance.

Coquitlam RCMP says it has taken over the investigation.

None of the claims have been proven in court.

16 minutes ago, DonLever said:

From Global:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4353574/port-coquitlam-copper/

Seven Port Coquitlam city workers who were fired for allegedly stealing and selling copper pipes are fighting to get their jobs back.

CUPE Local 498, the union that represents the workers, said grievances were filed against the city the same day the employees were fired.

“We filed grievances based on the union’s decision that the terminations were unjustified,” said CUPE 498 second vice president Ron Narayan.

“Based on the statements from the employees and the evidence that the city had at that point, that’s when the decision was made that the decision to terminate was unjust.”

The City of Port Coquitlam alleges that the seven employees, all in the public works department, stole the copper over the course of a decade in a “highly-coordinated” operation.

The actual value of the material is unknown, but the city claims the workers sold it illegally for more than $75,000.

The individual participants allegedly pocketed between $100 and $10,000 for their part in the scheme, the city claims.

It also claims the workers were fired for cause, meaning they will not receive severance.

Coquitlam RCMP says it has taken over the investigation.

None of the claims have been proven in court.

Let the court decide it but in no way should these guys be given their positions back.  Simple labour period

yeah hard to find another job i guess with that black mark on their records

and who would not want that old job back

the side benefits were quite attractive

:wub:

seems they got what they deserved

fired for theft

and hope lawsuits ensue

to force them to pay back the value of the goods stolen

and not just the amount of money they pocketed

for fire selling valuable gear

which local citizens are forced to cover now on their behalf

What? We're talking about Public Works? Stealing copper?.. Kinda surprised they had the work ethic required to almost pull that off.

I mean really. I'm sure you've seen Public Works guys at "work". 

Talk about theft. It takes eight guys and a backhoe, staring at a pot hole for seven hours, just to fill it with sand.

Those guys are a bunch of lazy mother&^@#ers.

75K over the course of a decade is not much in the way of income supplementation, also how incompetent is the city of Coquitlam if they didn't have sufficient evidence before they moved to terminate?

I really dislike unions for reasons such as this, as once people get into a union, especially one for a Government position, they get complacent and content. Then they look to find ways to manipulate.

They should lose their jobs, but because unions are all powerful they will get their jobs back.

18 minutes ago, luckylager said:

What? We're talking about Public Works? Stealing copper?.. Kinda surprised they had the work ethic required to almost pull that off.

I mean really. I'm sure you've seen Public Works guys at "work". 

Talk about theft. It takes eight guys and a backhoe, staring at a pot hole for seven hours, just to fill it with sand.

Those guys are a bunch of lazy mother&^@#ers.

And then claim workers comp for a strained neck. 

54 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

75K over the course of a decade is not much in the way of income supplementation, also how incompetent is the city of Coquitlam if they didn't have sufficient evidence before they moved to terminate?

I really dislike unions for reasons such as this, as once people get into a union, especially one for a Government position, they get complacent and content. Then they look to find ways to manipulate.

They should lose their jobs, but because unions are all powerful they will get their jobs back.

A private non-unionized company will likely just fire the person and won't purse criminal charges unless it is a huge amount stolen.   In this way, it may be better for the employee so he/she won't get a criminal record.

BTW, I doubt it is the jobs the workers want back but the severance.  On another news site,  it mention some workers work there for decades.   One guy for 27 years.   So it will be a huge severance package due them.

So what the union is really doing is making the case go to arbitration so the workers can get severance.

2 minutes ago, DonLever said:

BTW, I doubt it is the jobs the workers want back but the severance.  On another news site,  it mention some workers work there for decades.   One guy for 27 years.   So it will be a huge severance package due them.

So what the union is really doing is making the case go to arbitration so the workers can get severance.

I wonder if their pension is also an issue (does it get forfeit given the manner in which their employment was terminated?).  

I think what they might be also going after is wrongful dismissal (being terminated without cause which they could easily argue if the courts finds them completely innocent).  Don't often only managers get huge severance packages?

So most posters have already decided the workers are guilty, without knowing anything other than what a news release from the city said.

fortunately the system has checks and balances to ensure people get a fair hearing.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

So most posters have already decided the workers are guilty, without knowing anything other than what a news release from the city said.

fortunately the system has checks and balances to ensure people get a fair hearing.

If you're part of a union - else it's just you against the city (plus whatever lawyer you can hire).

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If you're part of a union - else it's just you against the city (plus whatever lawyer you can hire).

There is also the Employment Standards branch of the provincial government to help non unionized employees.

And for those pointing fingers at the union, the union has a legal obligation to represent for those employees, if it did not go to bat for those folk the union itself could be sued.

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

There is also the Employment Standards branch of the provincial government to help non unionized employees.

Sure but if you have a union backing you up - you have more resources at your disposal  (I'm guessing they have lawyers on retainer with expertise on these matters - eg., wrongful dismissal, etc.,).  I fortunately never had any dealing with Employment Standards but aren't they supposed to be more of a neutral 3rd party (again, I plead ignorance on these matters).

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure but if you have a union backing you up - you have more resources at your disposal  (I'm guessing they have lawyers on retainer with expertise on these matters - eg., wrongful dismissal, etc.,).  I fortunately never had any dealing with Employment Standards but aren't they supposed to be more of a neutral 3rd party (again, I plead ignorance on these matters).

Quite some years ago I needed their help to get a two week severance cheque when an employer fired me without cause or notice. They got the employer to pay up.

Archived