The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - 2018 Canucks' Young Stars Tournament

xereau

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I never figured it would be. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Really not trying to be a pessimist, but in my observations of Pettersson, he's been rendered somewhat ineffective 5 v 5 on NA sized ice in nearly every instance I've seen him play. Obviously I wasn't able to watch much of what he did in the SHL, but even dating back to the junior tournament last year, I just never really noticed him do much of anything unless he was on the PP. Don't get me wrong, having a potent PP weapon is nice, but I'm still waiting to see him have a real standout game on NA ice where he's noticeable 5 v 5 as well as on the PP. 

These have been my observations as well. People tend not to be very receptive of them.

Initially, I think his success will be somewhat muted 5 on 5. But I think he is too smart and skilled not to overcome this in time. But man, what silky soft mitts and vision he showed on that brief power play. Anyone panicking after one period of an prospect exhibition game really needs to reexamine thier priorities in life. 

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I never figured it would be. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Really not trying to be a pessimist, but in my observations of Pettersson, he's been rendered somewhat ineffective 5 v 5 on NA sized ice in nearly every instance I've seen him play. Obviously I wasn't able to watch much of what he did in the SHL, but even dating back to the junior tournament last year, I just never really noticed him do much of anything unless he was on the PP. Don't get me wrong, having a potent PP weapon is nice, but I'm still waiting to see him have a real standout game on NA ice where he's noticeable 5 v 5 as well as on the PP. 

Wow...this franchise is banking on him. I'm pretty sure Benning's job is too. He's our pride and joy after Brock. We NEED him to work out. Anyways, totally overkill here!

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly don't know why people are so against having him start in Utica, getting his hearings on the smaller ice.

I'm generally not an advocate for starting a player in Utica if they look ready....I was dead set against Boeser starting in Utica, but if his play in the 1st period is indicative of his play throughout this "tournament" and preseason, it might not be the worst idea in the world.

Luckily there's still a lot of time left.

Archived