The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose any former Canucks coach...

G. Reaper

Who would be your choice for Canucks head coach out of every Canucks coach in history?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just for fun.

Imagine you had the power to choose any past or current Canuck coach to man the helm of the upcoming season and beyond, who would you choose and why?  Who would work out better with our current and future roster?  Would you pick Travis Green, or would you go to a former coach like Alain Vigneault or perhaps Marc Crawford?  Maybe Pat Quinn?  What about Torts or Iron Mike?  Roger Neilson?  Vote, then explain your case!  

38 minutes ago, G. Reaper said:

Just for fun.

Imagine you had the power to choose any past or current Canuck coach to man the helm of the upcoming season and beyond, who would you choose and why?  Who would work out better with our current and future roster?  Would you pick Travis Green, or would you go to a former coach like Alain Vigneault or perhaps Marc Crawford?  Maybe Pat Quinn?  What about Torts or Iron Mike?  Roger Neilson?   

Interesting poll. I voted AV. Obviously Quinn also deserves serious consideration. I like Green but he has a long way to go before he gets into the same category as AV and Quinn.

Green has the rep of being good for young team whereas AV is better for a mature team ready to "win now". I am not sure I buy that. Green does not have a lot of development success stories yet -- in Utica or on the Canucks. A few guys have improved under his tutelage (like Virtanen) but that is pretty much inevitable. And a few young guys have gone backwards (Hutton, Granlund).

AV inherited the Sedins, But, even though they were good when he arrived, they improved with him as coach. And AV did a great job with the Manitoba Moose before joining the Canucks in 2006.

He also did a great job with guys like Edler (a rookie in AV's first year), Kesler, Bieksa, Tanev, Raymond, and others. Considering the low quality of Canuck drafts during the time he was head coach, he did very well.

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Interesting poll. I voted AV. Obviously Quinn also deserves serious consideration. I like Green but he has a long way to go before he gets into the same category as AV and Quinn.

Green has the rep of being good for young team whereas AV is better for a mature team ready to "win now". I am not sure I buy that. Green does not have a lot of development success stories yet -- in Utica or on the Canucks. A few guys have improved under his tutelage (like Virtanen) but that is pretty much inevitable. And a few young guys have gone backwards (Hutton, Granlund).

AV inherited the Sedins, But, even though they were good when he arrived, they improved with him as coach. And AV did a great job with the Manitoba Moose before joining the Canucks in 2006.

He also did a great job with guys like Edler (a rookie in AV's first year), Kesler, Bieksa, Tanev, Raymond, and others. Considering the low quality of Canuck drafts during the time he was head coach, he did very well.

You make some valid points which could sway my vote actually.  In fact, A.V. was a good coach on a very mediocre team at one point.  There were a couple of years where the only way Canucks could win was by playing a very defensive game and with 

Luongo in net, they stole games.  It shows that AV was able to coach with whatever strengths the team had.  It sure would be interesting to see him coach this roster.  But I wonder, would you take Green out right now if A.V. wanted in?  

I really like Travis Green and his development of the young players. If Vancouver was a contender I would have to choose Pat Quinn but I'm not saying Travis Green is incapable of taking this team to the cup finals. Travis Green is my first choice and Pat Quinn is my second with the Canucks in its current state.

12 minutes ago, Shekky said:

I really like Travis Green and his development of the young players. If Vancouver was a contender I would have to choose Pat Quinn but I'm not saying Travis Green is incapable of taking this team to the cup finals. Travis Green is my first choice and Pat Quinn is my second with the Canucks in its current state.

I like Green too, but I am really struggling to think of the young players HE has developed. Certainly not Stech, Hutton, Bo, Boeser, Baertschi 

Archived