The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose any former Canucks coach...

G. Reaper

Who would be your choice for Canucks head coach out of every Canucks coach in history?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, G. Reaper said:

You make some valid points which could sway my vote actually.  In fact, A.V. was a good coach on a very mediocre team at one point.  There were a couple of years where the only way Canucks could win was by playing a very defensive game and with 

Luongo in net, they stole games.  It shows that AV was able to coach with whatever strengths the team had.  It sure would be interesting to see him coach this roster.  But I wonder, would you take Green out right now if A.V. wanted in?  

AV had Luongo, and the Twins. He made that work. Cudos to him.

I get the feeling Green is a bitter ex player...so I question his mental character. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing....I don’t know, I’m just not sold on Green yet as I wasn’t a fan of his when he was a player. 

Its like having a teacher that’s pissed cuz they couldn’t make it in their profession. Green as a player never lived up to team expectations.

Quinn. When he walked into a room, and spoke you knew who was in charge. He cared about the players and the players cared about him. If Pat had a weakness is he was maybe too loyal to his players. Just hearing him talk, makes you want to go through a wall for the guy. RIP Pat and Roger.

Roger was an innovator, and a hockey geek, and he took a team to the Cup finals, but at the middle of the Islanders dynasty the Canucks were cannon fodder. He get honourable mention to me. 

There’s a few ways to be a leader. Torts and Keenan with their iron fist approach or the AV and Quinn approach. 

My vote is for AV. He seemed like someone who genuinely cared for the success of his players and truly treated them individually. Dude had fun and had his teams have fun. Laughed with his team at least once a day and you could tell the team would do anything for the guy. That’s the kind of coach you need, especially with young folks. Someone to inspire them. 

Folks will I’ll say that a coach’s job is to tell players what to do and the players just comply, alas if it were that simple, and all humans were rational. 

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

AV had Luongo, and the Twins. He made that work. Cudos to him.

Don’t forget though, he got them and yes they were talented, but hadn’t reached their potential. A terrible coach could’ve just as easily ruined them all. To me it seems like he got the very best out of them. 

Theres something to to be said about that. 

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

I get the feeling Green is a bitter ex player...so I question his mental character. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing....I don’t know, I’m just not sold on Green yet as I wasn’t a fan of his when he was a player. 

Its like having a teacher that’s pissed cuz they couldn’t make it in their profession. Green as a player never lived up to team expectations.

Take a list of top coaches in the NHL.  See how many of them were good players at that level.  

18 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Ya know, you could have left torts and Keenan off the list 

Well that’s no fun.  Torts already got a vote and there’s probably a decent argument to be made that Torts could do quite well with this young upcoming roster.  As for Keenan, he would be the guy to pick if somebody wanted to clean house. ;)

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Take a list of top coaches in the NHL.  See how many of them were good players at that level.  

Green I like his up tempo system style...but...I for some reason don’t like his personality he seems a very bitter guy. 

Bottom line is I’m just not a coach Green fan yet.  I’m not sold on him.....it’s more of his personality traits I don’t like or trust.

Ben Hutton is an example of coach green, he didn’t help Hutton he killed his career.

Neilson did more with less than any coach in Canucks history.  He's my #1  choice.  Pat Quinn is my second choice.  He was a genius at motivating players to be better.  Crow and Vignault had good teams, results were as expected, but both were pretty solid.  Green's been good so far, but I need to see a lot more of him to even compare to these other four.

i'd vote av

i really liked quinn as well

but i have to shrug of some nostalgia

and try to assess him a bit more rigorously

he had a dual role which colours a coach only assessment

his value is buttressed by his trading

am not sure without his gm role his coaching only role would be as impressive

we all loved the big trade that set the foundation

for the 1994 cup run.. but he did not do that as coach

yet that is among his most impressive feats

(along with the stealth drafting of bure)

but he is also lessened with his bitter long lasting dispute withe bure

the best player ever to wear a canuck jersey and also a hhof inductee

quinn's personal feud with bure

became unprofessional in my view

and i do not wish to review all that occurred between them

and quinn continued this feud while his was on the hhof selection committee

he blocked bure

and bure only got in once quinn was off that committee

so for me on pure coaching ability and track record

it's gotta be av

under him the canucks were the best team in the nhl

am impressively his team had the best goals for, goals against, pp, and penatly kill records all in 1 season

(i think i'm correct about that)

I never liked all Canucks coaches.  Maybe Quinn I wouldn't mind but he should never been a GM due to bad drafting history as well with just exception of Bure due to loopholes and that's it.  I didn't really like Crawford as defence has failed him.   AV was defence minded coach before he was forced to change his ways to keep his job.   So therefore I do not think that I really like Canucks' coaches too much. 

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

Green I like his up tempo system style...but...I for some reason don’t like his personality he seems a very bitter guy. 

Bottom line is I’m just not a coach Green fan yet.  I’m not sold on him.....it’s more of his personality traits I don’t like or trust.

Ben Hutton is an example of coach green, he didn’t help Hutton he killed his career.

Green didn't tell Hutton to report to camp out of shape.

I go Quinn and honorable mention to Crawford.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the guys who play a balanced roster playing the right personal in at key times when the going gets tough to allow the skilled players to play their game.

Archived