The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose any former Canucks coach...

G. Reaper

Who would be your choice for Canucks head coach out of every Canucks coach in history?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Ya know, you could have left torts and Keenan off the list 

Agreed, that would be like asking who is your favorite Canucks center man and including a certain guy who played here in the late '90's

5 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I get the feeling Green is a bitter ex player...so I question his mental character. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing....I don’t know, I’m just not sold on Green yet as I wasn’t a fan of his when he was a player. 

Its like having a teacher that’s pissed cuz they couldn’t make it in their profession. Green as a player never lived up to team expectations.

Those who cannot do, teach.

4 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

There’s a few ways to be a leader. Torts and Keenan with their iron fist approach or the AV and Quinn approach. 

I would call the first two dictators and the last two leaders.  It's one thing to follow because youde better, and another because you want to. 

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Choose your fantasy former Canucks coach by G. Reaper

Last time I checked Travis was NOT a former coach lol; and you forgot to add Bill LaForge into the mix.

This is true but it was easier than saying, “Choose your fantasy Canucks coach that was a former coach or also you could pick the current coach”.  Bill LaForge falls into the “other” category and if you want to vote for him then why don’t you plead your case for that rather than nitpicking my thread. ;)

2 minutes ago, G. Reaper said:

This is true but it was easier than saying, “Choose your fantasy Canucks coach that was a former coach or also you could pick the current coach”.  Bill LaForge falls into the “other” category and if you want to vote for him then why don’t you plead your case for that rather than nitpicking my thread. ;)

Hey! I am sorry you took it that way. I was not meaning to nit pick your thread; I was just joshing you. As for Bill Laforge... I don't think he would even rank in the "other" thread

An NHL coach who had the audacity to play Jayson freaking Megna for not one, but several NHL games along side future HHOF players in the Sedins deserves to go down as one of if not the worst coach in organizational history. At least Keenan and Torts had success elsewhere to cover up their disastrous terms in Van City.

On 11/09/2018 at 11:58 PM, -AJ- said:

Quinn. Something about that guy. I like Green, so he'd be a good option after Quinn. AV was great, but I'm not sure he's the guy for a team that's still in rebuild mode, maybe wait until we're ready to win for AV.

U mean ready to win, then ultimately lose right? 

I think obviously Quinn, but Crawford and AV had great success in their stints here.. Pat was part teacher, part guru and I think on a respect platform had the players go through the wall for him. Each of these coaches brought a different feel to the team though and you cant argue with their success.

My uncle says Canucks had a great coach in terms of being hilarious with quotes and a lot smarter hockey man than he was given credit for.   Harry Neale.   I wiki'd him and then immediately recognized him as the guy from TV during playoffs and Olympics.   What was he like for a coach (question to you older timers)?   What could he do with the current stable of young talent?

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My uncle says Canucks had a great coach in terms of being hilarious with quotes and a lot smarter hockey man than he was given credit for.   Harry Neale.   I wiki'd him and then immediately recognized him as the guy from TV during playoffs and Olympics.   What was he like for a coach (question to you older timers)?   What could he do with the current stable of young talent?

Going totally off memory ( very iffy ! ) I seem to remember he came under fire for not playing Cam Neely enough ! In context, I don't believe any coach has been praised for being rookie/ young player friendly. ( was he gm when we lost Neely ? )

Edit: GM at Neely trade was Jack Gordon

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Harry was a good players coach. He tried to play fire-wagon hockey with a plumber line up.  He had some success but the team really took a jump when Roger Neilson took over. Roger was a technical coach , an innovator, and the players really believed in him and his system. Roger really liked to review video thus the nickname "Captain Video". he developed defense first hockey and really tailored his game plan to the other team.

Harry was a better color man on tv than a coach though. and thats not a slight to him, he was just a much better color man than most.

Archived