The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose any former Canucks coach...

G. Reaper

Who would be your choice for Canucks head coach out of every Canucks coach in history?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:06 AM, HockeyHarry said:

I get the feeling Green is a bitter ex player...so I question his mental character. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing....I don’t know, I’m just not sold on Green yet as I wasn’t a fan of his when he was a player. 

Its like having a teacher that’s pissed cuz they couldn’t make it in their profession. Green as a player never lived up to team expectations.

Green is not a bitter ex player, why do you think that? And never lived up to expectations?... explain please, he had a great career. About a dozen years he played, not every 2nd round pick plays that long.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:15 AM, coastal.view said:

quinn's personal feud with bure

A.V had far  more feud's then Quinn did.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:09 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

I go Quinn and honorable mention to Crawford.

Crawfords love for Cloutier I will never forgive Crow.  We would have made it to the finals in 2003 if he didn't have such a strong bias for Cloutier. 

On 9/13/2018 at 6:58 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

My uncle says Canucks had a great coach in terms of being hilarious with quotes and a lot smarter hockey man than he was given credit for.   Harry Neale.   I wiki'd him and then immediately recognized him as the guy from TV during playoffs and Olympics.   What was he like for a coach (question to you older timers)?   What could he do with the current stable of young talent?

Did you never watch hockey on CBC saturday night? Harry was on prime time for so long i'm amazed you didn't recognize the name.

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Did you never watch hockey on CBC saturday night? Harry was on prime time for so long i'm amazed you didn't recognize the name.

I recognized him once people mentioned that but I was pretty young when I watched all the time and he wasn't on much then and when he was I was too busy playing I guess.   Just more of a voice and a face than a name to me but now I have the connection for sure.   He was always funny I do remember that.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I recognized him once people mentioned that but I was pretty young when I watched all the time and he wasn't on much then and when he was I was too busy playing I guess.   Just more of a voice and a face than a name to me but now I have the connection for sure.   He was always funny I do remember that.

Yeah i think one of the best commentators ever, always did a good broadcast. Perfect person to be with Bob Cole. Didn't have Game Center in the 90's so every saturday night it was those two and the Leafs!

11 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

A.V had far  more feud's then Quinn did.

Crawfords love for Cloutier I will never forgive Crow.  We would have made it to the finals in 2003 if he didn't have such a strong bias for Cloutier. 

Crawford wasn't the GM though. He could have leaned heavily on Petr Skudra or a rookie Alex Auld but neither wouldn't even get you as far as Cloutier did.

By far Quin.  Why? He was the best coach we’ve ever had, won the Adams and deservingly so, took our team to the top of the Smythe in the early nineties when Calgary was still considered a contender (and the rivalry we had with them was the best ever, I swear those teams hated each other). 

He was good at so many things, both a players coach and a skilled tactician when it came to creating the lines and the actual team (there hat Pat, President, GM, Coach I mean who does that?!).  The thing that was most noticeable about his teams was they all felt like every player on the team would go to war for each other and their coach (whom they universally loved, that is very rare in this business, not something that you could say about Keenan, Hitchcock and other good coaches or that era, even Bowman at the time) you could see it in their play and how they acted/re-acted. 

2. Im also already a big fan of Green, he’s smart, and has a firm hand, he misses nothing and is obviously teaching our young players lessons on how to be a pro and nothing is handed to anyone, it has to be earned, a great culture to have.  I’d pick him next.

2-3.Neilson a close third.  He revolutionized coaching by adding video, he used to pay the guys $20 bucks for an extra tape  of the game they just played, then spend hours editing it (splicing out the parts he wanted to keep then taping them together), and then roll in a 20 inch tube TV and get certain guys, or the team all crowded in to watch while he explained what he wanted them to learn about certain players tendencies or what they could do better.   At the start it was laughed at, but within a decade the video coach was added to virtually every team.  Towel power forever too.

4.Then Crow, why? Because he was awesome and I believe a better coach for a young team then AV.  Also has a cup ring as a coach, something the rest of the list is lacking.

Then AV, favourite moment was when he couldn’t help but laugh when a player imitated Beiksa’s game face right in front of him...

Gotta give some love for the apparently long forgotten Orland Kurtenbach who went from legendary leader on the ice to head coach within a couple of short years. A feat, I'm sure, never to be witnessed again! 

Makes me pause, though, in contemplation of which current Canuck might be able to pull this off. 

Unfortunately, Paddy Quinn and Roger N are no longer with us, so fantasy it would be.

Of the living, it's an easy decision = AV is the cream of the crop, hands down.

Not sure why Travis is in that list - I've excluded him as he's clearly not a "former" coach and won't be for a long time!

Archived