The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

I just want to say a big kudos to the poster who commented about how members of African American community have long since been disregarded when the speak out about their experiences with police brutality. The ubiquity of smartphones has really shed light on this issue. 

Perhaps if sometime in the near future our eyes function as video cameras and our brains function as hard drives we will be able to believe and empathize with those who come forward about their experiences with sexual violence. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

Completely agree.

The work that he did to impeach Bill Clinton and his insistence that Clinton be asked graphically explicit questions is further discrediting evidence that he acts based on politics. Kavanaugh's hypocrisy was his answer to Senator Harris' question about whether he had taken a polygraph test as it relates to Dr. Blasey-Ford's allegations. Note: that Dr. Blasey-Ford passed a polygraph near the time of her grandmother's funeral.   

In the hearings Senator Harris asked Kavanaugh if he had taken a polygraph test. Kavanaugh responded, "No... Of course, those are not admissible in federal court. They're not admissible in federal court because they're not reliable."

A ruling that Kavanaugh wrote on the Court of Appeals reads, "As the Government notes, law enforcement agencies use polygraph tests to determine the credibility of witnesses and criminal defendants. Those agencies also use polygraphs to 'screen applicants for security clearances so that they may be deemed suitable for work in critical law enforcement, defense, and intelligence collection roles.' [and] The Government has satisfactorily explained how polygraph examinations serve law enforcement purposes." 

He's either got memory loss or he's a hypocrite. Either trait is disqualifying. 

Yup I agree. I think he's a hypocrite rather than suffering from memory loss. Imo with his partisan rant he's made it plain that he won't be impartial in his decision making at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

Completely agree.

The work that he did to impeach Bill Clinton and his insistence that Clinton be asked graphically explicit questions is further discrediting evidence that he acts based on politics. Kavanaugh's hypocrisy was evident in his answer to Senator Harris' question about whether he had taken a polygraph test as it relates to Dr. Blasey-Ford's allegations. Note: that Dr. Blasey-Ford passed a polygraph near the time of her grandmother's funeral.   

In the hearings Senator Harris asked Kavanaugh if he had taken a polygraph test. Kavanaugh responded, "No... Of course, those are not admissible in federal court. They're not admissible in federal court because they're not reliable."

A ruling that Kavanaugh wrote on the Court of Appeals reads, "As the Government notes, law enforcement agencies use polygraph tests to determine the credibility of witnesses and criminal defendants. Those agencies also use polygraphs to 'screen applicants for security clearances so that they may be deemed suitable for work in critical law enforcement, defense, and intelligence collection roles.' [and] The Government has satisfactorily explained how polygraph examinations serve law enforcement purposes." 

He's clearly a liar. That was well demonstrated 2 days ago.  

• Like 1

So the FBI is going to have a week to investigate and come back with a report.

This report, no matter the result, must be immediately ignored by those on the so-called "right" as Drump has repeatedly questioned the integrity of that organization.

So then what?

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

This report, no matter the result, must be immediately ignored by those on the so-called "right" as Drump has repeatedly questioned the integrity of that organization.

So then what?

it all depends on what else they find, there appears to be a handful of moderates that are willing to listen. BK didn't do himself any favours with his tantrum performance either, it makes it easier to sell not supporting him. It may also help others come forward with their experience with the guy. So we'll see, should be an interesting week. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Completely agree.

The work that he did to impeach Bill Clinton and his insistence that Clinton be asked graphically explicit questions is further discrediting evidence that he acts based on politics. Kavanaugh's hypocrisy was evident in his answer to Senator Harris' question about whether he had taken a polygraph test as it relates to Dr. Blasey-Ford's allegations. Note: that Dr. Blasey-Ford passed a polygraph near the time of her grandmother's funeral.   

Several years ago, I went through the preliminary process for becoming an RCMP officer. The guy doing our orientation talked about the various things you have to go through to be accepted was blunt when it came to the polygraph test. "You can't beat it" he said. "If you lie about anything, it will be caught and you will be disqualified automatically". This was basically his way of saying that if someone had smoked a joint at some point in his or her life, they had better be forthcoming about it, because you can't fool a polygraph.

The guy who conducted Dr. Blasey-Ford's test went through the process on CNN a couple of nights ago and gist is, the test is very accurate and very reliable.

For those still struggling with the fact that Dr. Ford "waited so long" to come forth, maybe this woman's experience will make things clearer for you:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/opinions/kavanaugh-hearing-brought-back-assault-jennifer-taub/index.html

We both were raised with conservative politics and attended elite prep schools. We both are religious, with deep faith and a belief in God. We both attended Yale in the mid-1980s. We both, aside from occasional binge drinking, worked hard in school and wrote for the student newspaper. We both studied at Cross Campus Library. We both managed to get into top-tier law schools. He Yale, me Harvard. Although we shared similarities, I do not recall ever meeting him at Yale.

But there is one place where our similarities end, and that has made all of the difference in our lives. While Brett Kavanaugh appears to have moved fluidly from his beer-drinking prep school days into his beer-drinking college years, I was not as fortunate.
In early fall of my freshman year at Yale, I was raped by an upperclassman. Until that moment, I had expected to maintain my virginity until I was married, or at least until I fell deeply in love. Some of the details are forever seared into my memory, like they were in Christine Blasey Ford's.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Several years ago, I went through the preliminary process for becoming an RCMP officer. The guy doing our orientation talked about the various things you have to go through to be accepted was blunt when it came to the polygraph test. "You can't beat it" he said. "If you lie about anything, it will be caught and you will be disqualified automatically". This was basically his way of saying that if someone had smoked a joint at some point in his or her life, they had better be forthcoming about it, because you can't fool a polygraph.

The guy who conducted Dr. Blasey-Ford's test went through the process on CNN a couple of nights ago and gist is, the test is very accurate and very reliable.

It is not a lie if you believe it...

6 hours ago, gurn said:

So then what?

This disapeares into the mire of American politics in this age of the 24 hour news cycle.

The mire that trump so quaintly promised to drain.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:43 PM, johngould21 said:

It was early this morning when I posted his interaction with Klobuchar, that alone would be reason to pull his nomination. This guy has a temper, is lying and, truth be damned, I'm going to be given a title for life. I see a trend in his lifestyle, and his appointment would be a dangerous and slippery slope.

That's the part that really stuck out to me. And when he asked Senator Whitehouse what was his drink of choice.

That's when Grassley who is the Chairman of the committee should have stopped it and admonished Kavanaugh and reminded him the Senators habits are not the subject of the hearing, but his are.

Also, why would someone in a hearing like that mention numerous times without being asked that they like beer? That was bizarre. It's like his testimony was prepped by members of Guns N' Roses circa 1989.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That's the part that really stuck out to me. And when he asked Senator Whitehouse what was his drink of choice.

That's when Grassley who is the Chairman of the committee should have stopped it and admonished Kavanaugh and reminded him the Senators habits are not the subject of the hearing, but his are.

Also, why would someone in a hearing like that mention numerous times without being asked that they like beer? That was bizarre. It's like his testimony was prepped by members of Guns N' Roses circa 1989.

Or the President of the US of A.....

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For those still struggling with the fact that Dr. Ford "waited so long" to come forth, maybe this woman's experience will make things clearer for you:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/opinions/kavanaugh-hearing-brought-back-assault-jennifer-taub/index.html

Further to this, I also found Charles Blow’s telling of his own experience with childhood sexual abuse very powerful:

Link to video from CNN around a week ago:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/20/charles-blow-christine-ford-kavanaugh-cuomo-vpx.cnn

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

This blows me away.

So this is what the land of the free and the home of the brave has come to.

A Woman has to be protected for telling she was abused.

We are arguing about a woman being abused, who is right, who is wrong, what are the motivations of the people invovled.

It used to be a distraction, now it just brings me down.

Any person that has any ability to think critically can tell who is telling the truth and who is lying.

Who can see past the politics and see the character of the people invovled their personal history, previous actions are all that is needed.

It kinda reminds me of how the god thread polarised people.

This debate seems more nasty, I feel more ill will between people, I want people to come together, not become more divided.

Some people will not believe her, regardless of how much evidence is presented.

They will just think that she is lying and that all of this is a witch hunt.

• Like 1

I think this one is important, because this time, it's a male classmate coming forward and saying that Kavanagh lied about how much he drank in College:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/yale-classmate-accuses-kavanaugh-of-‘blatant-mischaracterization’-of-his-drinking/ar-BBNMBZ9?li=AAggNb9

A Yale classmate of Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s accused him on Sunday of a “blatant mischaracterization” of his drinking while in college, saying that he often saw Judge Kavanaugh “staggering from alcohol consumption.”

The classmate, Chad Ludington, who said he frequently socialized with Judge Kavanaugh as a student, said in a statement that the judge had been untruthful in testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee when he had denied any possibility that he had ever blacked out from drinking.

Mr. Ludington said that Judge Kavanaugh had played down “the degree and frequency” of his drinking, and that the judge had often become “belligerent and aggressive” while intoxicated. Other former classmates have made similar claims.

“It is truth that is at stake, and I believe that the ability to speak the truth, even when it does not reflect well upon oneself, is a paramount quality we seek in our nation’s most powerful judges,” Mr. Ludington said, adding that he planned to “take my information to the F.B.I.”

I still think it's likely that BK will be confirmed, especially since Trump is limiting the scope of the FBI "investigation". (It doesn't include Kavanagh's drinking habits) Still the weight of evidence that he lied about his past, coupled with the weight of public opinion gives me hope.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/yale-classmate-accuses-kavanaugh-of-‘blatant-mischaracterization’-of-his-drinking/ar-BBNMBZ9?li=AAggNb9

I still think it's likely that BK will be confirmed, especially since Trump is limiting the scope of the FBI "investigation". (It doesn't include Kavanagh's drinking habits) Still the weight of evidence that he lied about his past, coupled with the weight of public opinion gives me hope.

Some words to live by from the same article, “It is the truth that is at stake, and I believe that the ability to speak the truth, even when it does not reflect well upon oneself, is a paramount quality we seek in our nation’s most powerful judges.”

• Like 1