The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OFFICAL LA kings-willie D scruitny thread

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-coach-desjardins-20181105-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

first order of biz is stripping kopitar of the C and giving it back to brownie. 

second is willie telling the team "if you cant outrun them or outdangle them with the buck you better be hitting them"

it was refreshing to see willie say this was his last shot at the NHL so hopefully he creates a cinderella story and gets more then one season before getting cast back to wherever he came from

I dunno, this thread feel more unofficial than official. 

It's too bad WD had to go to the Kings in the state they're in, but if he can turn around the mess they're in then good for him. 

Best of luck being the coach of team where if only the GM had waited another couple days he could have had coach Q. 

Oof.

Willie will soon realize how much better people the Sedins and the rest of the Canucks leadership players are the moment he arrives at LA. If rumours are true, those Kings stars have too much ego. They don’t respect their coaches. There was a rumour that when things didn’t go well, they lock Sutter out of the locker room after a loss to avoid him.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Why is this Kopitar's fault?

The guy clearly has performed exceptionally well in the past. Just seems like Willie D's making changes for the sake of looking like he's doing something.

That was the OP mocking WD.  He also isn't asking them to hit more.  

Willie D wants LA to play a more aggressive offensive system.  He is willing to sacrifice some defence for more offence.  Benning asked him to coach more conservatively because they were allowing too many goals against and brought in Jarvis to help him.  

All the quotes via LAKingsInsider.com.

I think it’s always been a solid defensive team. I think that’s the way they’ve always won, so I think some of their top guys think a little bit more defensively. I look at guys on the other side – Gaudreau, Monahan – they’re always thinking offense. Our guys probably think a little bit more defensively. Saying that, I think we have to create some systems that are going to get guys more involved, and we’ve got to force ourselves to get up ice and play more aggressive and play more offensive.

[Reporter: Are you willing to sacrifice a little bit defensively?] We have to. We’re not creating enough right now. [...] We want to be more of an aggressive team. 

He also wants their players to accept to reduce their shift length by about 10 seconds to increase intensity and also preserve freshness.  Quite a few coaches are asking their teams to do the same - Laviolette, Hynes all want their guys to keep their shifts short and intense. 

People forget how much Willie turned around the Canucks in 2014-15. We went from 83 points to 101 points for an 18-point jump, the biggest increase in the 21st century for the Canucks. Sure, he blew it after that, but it's a shame no one remembers how much he did for the Canucks in that one year. He finished 9th in Jack Adams voting.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Willie D wants LA to play a more aggressive offensive system.  He is willing to sacrifice some defence for more offence.  Benning asked him to coach more conservatively because they were allowing too many goals against and brought in Jarvis to help him.  

All the quotes via LAKingsInsider.com.

I think it’s always been a solid defensive team. I think that’s the way they’ve always won, so I think some of their top guys think a little bit more defensively. I look at guys on the other side – Gaudreau, Monahan – they’re always thinking offense. Our guys probably think a little bit more defensively. Saying that, I think we have to create some systems that are going to get guys more involved, and we’ve got to force ourselves to get up ice and play more aggressive and play more offensive.

[Reporter: Are you willing to sacrifice a little bit defensively?] We have to. We’re not creating enough right now. [...] We want to be more of an aggressive team. 

He also wants their players to accept to reduce their shift length by about 10 seconds to increase intensity and also preserve freshness.  Quite a few coaches are asking their teams to do the same - Laviolette, Hynes all want their guys to keep their shifts short and intense. 

I really agreed with what tactic once i heard it. shorten the shifts and up the intensity.  MOAR FORECHECK is what willie is preaching now a days.  i honestly think after getting the willie bashing out of my system he will turn this roster around and its more his style (gritty,big)    they just need to get confidence and trust of the new systems and style and lets not forget when quick comes back and starts winning them games again like he did the last two year... well decade

Archived