The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have You Also Become Jaded?

Nuxfanabroad

I think there's a general sense of purpose missing in a lot of peoples lives these days. I think (probably controversially) that much of it comes from the wave of subjectivism that has enveloped western culture over the last few decades. People are being driven away from the things that objectively and measurably create a sense of purpose, be on a conscious of subconscious level. That isn't to say that there aren't an immeasurable number of exceptions to the rule....do what you want.....Only that the societal norms that once gave people some semblance of purpose are now being eaten away. That if you fall back into these societal norms that by all objective measures have historically been linked to greater levels of happiness and purpose, you're somehow re-enforcing an archaic, socially constructed hierarchical system. Thus, there's great pressure to turn away from the things that have generally been known to give one a sense of fulfillment.  And, as said before, it can be conscious or unconscious, and it can come from many different places. Schools, media, or just society at large. And, without purpose, it's pretty easy to see how one can become jaded. Frustrated. Like they're missing something. 

Just my opinion. Flame on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

FJ: People who are purposefully rude to others on this site. Why insult others when you're typing at a pc? Would you be so bold if in person? If so, you might be an even more inveterate *$$hole! So tired of the bullying sort. This life can be a tough slog, & I thought we were supposed to help one another along?

PS: Exchange with others as you might with a stranger at the donut shop(big, island table). Or a person you see there occasionally. It's not so tough, eh?

Only to people who say things so stupid that I can't contain myself. Even then I don't just revert to the basest, vulgar insults. But people are more bold on the internet, voicing thoughts they'd never do in person - that goes for both sides.

Like most here so far I think I'm generally satisfied with where I am right now. It took longer to graduate university than I wanted, but there's little I can do about that as I also started later than most. I have a job that is 30 minute round trip max, and it is probably the best job I could find that paid the most, and that was close to home. I also started dumping my salary into my retirement portfolio already (stocks, bonds, ETF, all of those things) and would go out on a limb and say I'm probably further ahead than all my friends in that regard, assuming they're even doing this sort of thing. Generally, you get out what you put in and that's true of most things. 

Of course, when I look at this country, this province, it all seems for not. And I'm not the only young person who feels that way. Work hard they said, start investing your money when you are young they said, you'll get ahead they said. The cost of living is as high as it has ever been. Housing, the biggest item you will ever pay for, is grossly unavailable at a reasonable price and this will maybe never change. Retirement at a relatively young age? That seems like a pipe dream at this point. How could you when you get taxed to death, and then everything else increases in price.

Some interesting replies here. Thanks for the time. There are similar threads existing:

- on depression/one's mental health

- on things that annoy us

S'pose how I wanted to distinguish this thread, is basically whether we are content with this(insert adjective____) world, as it is. So one's outlook/perspective on today. Mentioned my age & satisfactory health, as I think these variables should be factored into one's view. Where we live, is another significant factor, no doubt.

TMI? Rather unsure about this. So much I've learned last 5~10 yrs, that I wouldn't have if the info age hadn't flourished(exploded?). There's so much info that one can't corroborate, confirm, nor fully trust. I've also come to more fully appreciate the power of media propaganda. Wonder now to what degree it was used in past decades(the world of TV & dailies) to misinform the masses? Suspect it's not a pleasant answer.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Some interesting replies here. Thanks for the time. There are similar threads existing:

- on depression/one's mental health

- on things that annoy us

S'pose how I wanted to distinguish this thread, is basically whether we are content with this(insert adjective____) world, as it is. So one's outlook/perspective on today. Mentioned my age & satisfactory health, as I think these variables should be factored into one's view. Where we live, is another significant factor, no doubt.

TMI? Rather unsure about this. So much I've learned last 5~10 yrs, that I wouldn't have if the info age hadn't flourished(exploded?). There's so much info that one can't corroborate, confirm, nor fully trust. I've also come to more fully appreciate the power of media propaganda. Wonder now to what degree it was used in past decades(the world of TV & dailies) to misinform the masses? Suspect it's not a pleasant answer.

There are only a couple of hundred things our species is absolutely certain of and a big chunk of those are on the periodic table,all the rest are theories.

I believe the true path to wisdom begins when you realise the more you learn the less you realise you will ever know.

If you want some interesting reading on the subject you have mentioned try Weaponised Lies by Dan levitin.

I have been reading quite a few books about critical thinking in the last year or so.

A few that stand out 

Think Smarter by Michael Kallet

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Critical Thinking an Introduction by Alec Fisher.

An Organised Mind by Dan levitin

Each book has it negatives and positives however I feel I gained some insight about how to hone my BS detectors from each of them.

• Cheers 1

On 2018-11-19 at 2:58 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

There are just too many good things like life to allow yourself to be jaded. I do get a little pissy and uppity from time to time but i blame that on a liberal arts education. 

Good honest post Jimmy.

Life just ain’t that bad.

• Cheers 1

On 11/18/2018 at 5:31 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Would like to preface this thread with apologies to any/all who might take offense. I have no outright agenda vs any particular special-interest group. Basically consider myself apolitical(will get into this later).

At 50, guess I'm smack-dab, firmly ensconced, within good ol' middle age. I have no problems with this..kept myself healthy(long distance sports, for hobby). I woudn't want to be under 30 today, with the world as I see it unraveling. I'm curious if any of you gen-X(of that vintage) posters hold similar views? Would also appreciate insights/thoughts from people older & younger.

Tired of so many things I observe. Cause/effect..where does it begin & end? Little, niggling matters that burn your bacon..or outright, egregious, blatant corruption, which downright p*sses you off!!! Have at 'er folks...

(PMO) P*sses Me OFF!

(FJ) Just Feel Jaded.     are perhaps, good sub-categories? Perhaps you might include...

(PS) Possible solutions?

Aah, there are so many I'm not sure where to begin? Want to post this thread now(gotta head out)..guess I'll give one example to start out:

FJ: People who are purposefully rude to others on this site. Why insult others when you're typing at a pc? Would you be so bold if in person? If so, you might be an even more inveterate *$$hole! So tired of the bullying sort. This life can be a tough slog, & I thought we were supposed to help one another along?

PS: Exchange with others as you might with a stranger at the donut shop(big, island table). Or a person you see there occasionally. It's not so tough, eh?

This is why man invented religion. Look into it.

I'm not a religious person, but I have to admit over the years when the sh@t has hit the fan, I have weakly turned to my childhood god for comfort, and it worked!  Then I put him back in his box for a decade or two until the next tragedy strikes.

• Upvote 1

Going through a divorce, dealing with lawyers, and the whole system atm. It's very hard to not feel jaded when the system seems to reward the partner that is willing to do the least and is the most irresponsible.

That being said, I have a good life and I know this is but a little(big) blip on the radar. All the same, it is very infuriating.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 11/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

There are just too many good things like life to allow yourself to be jaded. I do get a little pissy and uppity from time to time but i blame that on a liberal arts education. 

I can't complain about my *personal* life--I'm gainfully employed at a job I don't mind, I have a nice place to live, internet/TV, etc.  That's all well and fine.

However, when I look at the big picture--the state of humanity and the world, it's disheartening.  Like the DJ I cited in my first post, I also think things are getting worse and will get worse still. 

While it won't happen in my lifetime, I think the world is headed towards serious calamity for those who are still young now, to the point where today's infants will live in a world that's going to look like a combination some of the dystopias presented in today's fiction.  I honestly do not believe humanity will be around in 500 years, never mind make the next millennium; and on our way to extinction, life will be increasingly miserable for those experiencing the slow decline.

And for that, I'm grateful that I'm too old to be around to see any of that transpire.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Undrafted said:

I can't complain about my *personal* life--I'm gainfully employed at a job I don't mind, I have a nice place to live, internet/TV, etc.  That's all well and fine.

However, when I look at the big picture--the state of humanity and the world, it's disheartening.  Like the DJ I cited in my first post, I also think things are getting worse and will get worse still. 

While it won't happen in my lifetime, I think the world is headed towards serious calamity for those who are still young now, to the point where today's infants will live in a world that's going to look like a combination some of the dystopias presented in today's fiction.  I honestly do not believe humanity will be around in 500 years, never mind make the next millennium; and on our way to extinction, life will be increasingly miserable for those experiencing the slow decline.

And for that, I'm grateful that I'm too old to be around to see any of that transpire.

I’m only quoting you because you’re the most recent person people saying how it’s worse now.  It is not worse now.

Yeah, social media is strange, but does noone remember the terrible things that happened in the 20th century and the strives we’ve made for woman, lgbtq, health, child poverty, education, standard of living, entertainment, communication, transportation, clean energy I could go on and on.

You guys talk about toxic politics do you not know about the Dreyfus affair, Huey Long, the Cold War, the rise of fascism and communism, again, I could go on and on.

On topic!

Im 30 and not jaded yet.  I am reasonable successfully making good but not great money.  I see my efforts get transformed into opportunities and my mental health is improving as well.  It’s only getting better.

I am getting jaded in regards to politics.  This jadedness is product of disillusionment, not change inpolitics.  It really seems no one cares about making the best life possible for the governed via science empathy but fighting for unfounded ideologies with their backs against the wall. 

PMO

-Nostalgia bias :P

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Undrafted said:

but are they really getting worse? or are we being played by the media and a few politicians to be triggered that way? its a good question to think on, who benefits by you being afraid. 

By so many measures, lifespan, opportunities for work, travel, access to information, personal freedoms - there have never been as many people in the world with so much access to so many things. Yes of course there are dark places still, but today is as good as its even been.