The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Certainly more effectively versatile than Gagner is imo.

Replacing Gagner would be a positive end result.

And whether it's Leivo in a middle six - or two way role alongside Horvat - or in the bottom six enabling them to move Granlund up the lineup, it's a net gain imo.

I guess the Leafs would not take Gagner and preferred Carcone instead.  Can't say I blame them - not a lot of use for Gagner in their lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them give Granny some time with EP.  He can keep up, can score if given opportunity, and gives them another option on the draw for that line.

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

From our roster point of view it is Leipsic for Leivo.

Looks great to me.

I'm with yeah. I'll take that swap anyday of the week.

From what I understand Leivo has a great shot, is good down low & brings some physicality/grit. So basically everything Leipsic didn't bring. I'm in!

Looking forward to seeing him get a shot with Bo or Pete. Great buy low move.

5 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

After thorough team 1040 podcast reviews, and all he pages from this forum...  we got bigger but not faster... whats our maximum depth during this crash dive?

Leipsic was getting tossed around like a toddler out there.  This was a great depth trade.

I was hoping for more grit and physicality as well, but have not come across that as being highlighted from this player.  Listening to C. button on the toronto feed was kinda meh about the player, and then on the van feed with donny was more excited about the move.... of course....  cater to thenfan folk an all... hopefully he's faster than he sounds as negative moments arise regarding footspeed. We will see.

Yeah lepsic was getting tossed around, we still will get tossed around... hopefully we'll toss others around more and i agree we're better after this trade overall.

Can't take anything the TOR media says seriously. I mean, they raved about how good Gagner is. Of course they lost Leivo and will try to downplay it. In order to ignore this trade altogether, I fully expect them to produce a 2-hour documentary on William Nylander and his journey to the NHL. lol  

Like Green pointed out in the presser:

The injuires to Sutter and Beagle pretty much cooked Leipsic's opportunity here - at least in the context of this season.

With those injuries, Horvat was forced into shutdown duty - and Leipsic is simply not a good fit in that role - so he'd have had to outperform the rest of the field to earn minutes on EP's line - or become marginal - which he did.

With a Leivo, or elevating Granlund to Horvat's (or EP's) line, you have two way forwards that are more versatile. 

Makes sense when you see it from Green's viewpoint.   Even with Beagle returning, it's likely that Horvat's line will still draw dual duty, so two way linemates probably remain the m.o.

Anyhow - best of luck to Leivo - and to Leipsic in L.A. 

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's one perfect scenario that could come out of this:

VAN gets their injured players back, Pettersson and Boeser begin to destroy the competition. Markstrom and Nilsson play out of their minds. Leivo and Horvat discover they are synched and compliment each other perfectly. Juolevi and Hughes join the team late in the season. Tryamkin decides to come back as well. The Canucks claw their way every game, picking up points in 80% of their remaining games. They sneak into a Wildcard playoff spot and have a Cinderella run. VAN and TOR meet in the SCF where the Canucks win their 1st Cup, on a goal scored in OT of Game 7, by none other than Josh Leivo.

lol

Oh wait... you forgot to mention Eriksson playing like a $6M man again while Edler is all rejuvenated and starts palying in the cup run form!!!

Archived