The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

Honestly, when you look at the exposed list, and consider  who they are or what their value is between now and then, I think they become your trade list, and give more argument to trading any of them...…….it is and will be even more the mid to bottom of our core over the next 2 years......are any of them worth not trading over a good trade, with valuable assets coming back?

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Why would that be circumvention when it is a normal practice throughout the league every year?

It is a legit question Rick

But let's be honest, it is common practice to sign and burn that year off for probably 99% of all top end NCAA players......and our recent history has been that of signing them early....both Brock and Adam were, and now, we are going to have a 7th OA pick signed to a ATO, for what purpose......try and explain to the NHL brass, that it is not a Expansion Rule Violation...…..

I do not trust the NHL and I do not think they would agree...……..not common practice, and the only obvious reason is to circumvent and that is what we are talking about

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is a legit question Rick

But let's be honest, it is common practice to sign and burn that year off for probably 99% of all top end NCAA players......and our recent history has been that of signing them early....both Brock and Adam were, and now, we are going to have a 7th OA pick signed to a ATO, for what purpose......try and explain to the NHL brass, that it is not a Expansion Rule Violation...…..

I do not trust the NHL and I do not think they would agree...……..not common practice, and the only obvious reason is to circumvent and that is what we are talking about

I am not concerned about Quinn Hughes in particular as he will sign with the Canucks at the end of this season IF Michigan's season ends before the Canucks' season. Burning the 1st year of your entry level contract is very important from a player's perspective. If Michigan's season ends after the Canucks then it becomes a non-issue and Hughes simply signs an NHL SPC for the 2019/20 season and does not burn a year of his ELC and does not have to be protected for the Seattle expansion draft.

BTW, even 1st round picks sign ATO's...........Charlie McAvoy is a good example. You are worried about nothing.

• Upvote 1

I'll bite:

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaudette

Lind/Baerstchi*

Dahlen

Hutton**

Juolevi

Hughes/Stecher***

Demko

Exposed:

Roussel

Beagle

Sutter **

Goldobin **

Palmu **

Gadjovich **

Jasek **

MacEwan**

Tryamkin ****

UFA Defenseman *****

UFA goalie *****

* If Baerstchi is unsigned during the draft, Lind is protected

** Presumes that the roster player is signed through to the 2021-2022 season

*** If Hughes does not sign his ELC during the spring of 2019, Then Stecher is protected, provided he is signed through the 2021-2022 season

**** Not sure if eligible for selection if he is still on our reserve list during the draft

***** signed to be compliant with draft rules

Edited by therodigy
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I'll bite:

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaudette

Lind/Baerstchi*

Dahlen

Hutton**

Juolevi

Hughes/Stecher***

Demko

Exposed:

Roussel

Beagle

Sutter **

Goldobin **

Palmu **

Gadjovich **

Jasek **

MacEwan**

Tryamkin ****

UFA Defenseman *****

UFA goalie *****

* If Baerstchi is unsigned during the draft, Lind is protected

** Presumes that the roster player is signed through to the 2021-2022 season

*** If Hughes does not sign his ELC during the spring of 2019, Then Stecher is protected, provided he is signed through the 2021-2022 season

**** Not sure if eligible for selection if he is still on our reserve list during the draft

***** signed to be compliant with draft rules

I think Goldy will be on that list by the time it rolls around. 

57 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I think Goldy will be on that list by the time it rolls around. 

A few things would have to go his way (Dahlen and Lind's progression, as well as Baerstchi's contract status) but I think if Goldy solidifies himself into our top 6 over the next season or two (consistent 50-60 pt seasons) you've got a strong argument for protecting him. 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we have to protect NTC's?

Or just NMC's. That's my understanding. NMC's meaning no buy outs, no demotions. Full control that you can stay on our main squad.

Eriiksson I believe has already had his NMC fall off. This year and next he has a full NTC I also believe? Which means no trade unless he agrees. Then it drops to a 15 team no trade list for the last two years of his pact. And coinciding with expansion.

What if he actually starts playing?  Hmmm hey?  Lmao!

On 12/4/2018 at 11:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we have to protect NTC's?

Or just NMC's. That's my understanding. NMC's meaning no buy outs, no demotions. Full control that you can stay on our main squad.

Eriiksson I believe has already had his NMC fall off. This year and next he has a full NTC I also believe? Which means no trade unless he agrees. Then it drops to a 15 team no trade list for the last two years of his pact. And coinciding with expansion.

Players on NMCs can be bought out.  Vermette had a NMC but got bought out by Arizona after a year.  

When I lock back at last years SCF Vegas Team, the golden misfits, then would say that Granlund is the guy that will be selected by Seattle. Versatile, defensive responsilble, decent numbers, maybe a little bit underrated, a handsome team first guy, not too young and not too old.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The expansion is several years away, so the roster may look quite different then.  I can see guys like Sutter, Tanev, Baer, Guddy, etc traded by then.  Also, there are quite a few rfas to be resigned during those years and some of them will have moved on as well.

Eriksson will be a MNTC by then, which means he can be traded; so he can be left unprotected.  I can see the Canucks making a deal with Seattle to take Loui at 50% retained (he will have 2 years left on his contract and they will pay 2m each per year).  Canucks also offer up a draft pick or a roster player in the package.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Got a question. If Tryamkin finished off his KHL contract in two years and signed back during the Seattle expansion, would he have to be protected?

Dallas had to protect Nichushkin to retain his rights although he was playing in the KHL and did not have a contract with the Stars at the time of expansion.   They had qualified him before he left.  

Not sure how they count the years of pro-experience though for Tryamkin.  He does have 2 years in the NHL but would his time in the KHL continue to count.  

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I can see the Canucks making a deal with Seattle to take Loui at 50% retained (he will have 2 years left on his contract and they will pay 2m each per year).  Canucks also offer up a draft pick or a roster player in the package.

Loui would have to leave Seattle off of his 15 team NTC.

• 8 months later...

As of today?

• Bo Horvat
  • Brock Boeser
  • Elias Pettersson
  • Micheal Ferland
  • J.T. Miller
  • Adam Gaudette
  • Goldy or Virtanen

DEFENCE

• Tyler Myers nmc
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Troy Stecher

Goalie

• Thatcher Demko  (Dipietro exempt)

Some will need new contracts above to be protected and maybe some could be traded for picks before roster freeze?

Exposed (or not resinged) could be

Baer, Beagel, Roussel, Eriksson (?), Virtanen/Goldy. Sutter, Leivo, Pearson, Motte, Tree

I am surprised with all the success that Vegas has had , that they are exempt, (at least not modified some)

Interesting that 2017  Canucks protection was

Eriksson 

Hank and Daniel Sedin

Sven

Granlund

Bo

Sutter

Edler

Guddy

Tanev

Markstrom

Did I get this right?

• No pre-draft trades
  • All no-movement clauses are honored (Myers,Ferland)
  • Players who will become restricted free agents in 2020 or 2021 remain with current teams (Jake, Goldy, Motte,Stecher,Mackewen) ?
  • Players who will become unrestricted free agents in 2020 or 2021 either remain with current teams or are left off lists entirely (Tanev,Markstrom)?
  • Players whose NMCs had limited no trade clauses had to still be protected, and any players with NMCs were able to waive the clause and become eligible for the expansion draft.(Ericksson, Sutter,Roussel,Beagle)?
  • Cheers 1