The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

1 hour ago, SynysterGates said:

Both Myers and Ferland only have Modified NTC's for the expansion draft, so are not required to be protected.

Canucks are in a good spot for the expansion draft other than the goaltenders. We will probably lose one of Demko or Markstrom.

I think that means, they take up one of your protected spaces

Edited by ba;;isticsports

1 hour ago, SynysterGates said:

Both Myers and Ferland only have Modified NTC's for the expansion draft, so are not required to be protected.

Canucks are in a good spot for the expansion draft other than the goaltenders. We will probably lose one of Demko or Markstrom.

who says seattle will want either of our tenders?

that is not an obvious assumption

i think they have been engaging in lengthy tampering already

which explains the multiple season tanking of a certain player we have all witnessed

i'm betting they've been eyeing loui all along :P

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I think that means, they take up one of your protected spaces

No, they only take up protected spots if they have a NMC. They only have modified NTCs at the time of the expansion draft. You do not have to protect NTCs.

Edited by SynysterGates
  • Cheers 2

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Ferland

Virtanen

Miller

Myers

Demko

All have to be protected

Goldoblin

Roussel

Baertschi

Pearson

Stecher

Might need protection

A problem, well not really but, the Canucks have not left themselves the ability to make trades because they will not have spaces available

Planning the future should not stop with the status quo today. That doesn't mean forget about today but planning for improvement or replacement to make the team better.

The cap is a mess over the next 3 years at least.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:37 PM, lukchin said:

Didn't see one started yet...what's your prediction for the Canucks protected list?

Here's my prediction:

Protect Forwards (7):

1. Bo Horvat

2. Loui Eriksson (Because we have to NTC)

3. Jake Virtanen

4. Elias Pettersson

5. Brock Boeser

6. Adam Gaudette

7. Nikolay Goldobin

*We don't have to protect Jack Hughes because he'll be 2nd year pro still.

Protect D-men (3):

1. Quinn Hughes (if he comes in early this year in March 2019)

2. Olli Juolevi (Assuming he plays this year or next)

3. Ben Hutton (Assuming he extends)

Protect Goalie (1):

1. Thatcher Demko (Assuming he starts playing 2019/20)

Expose:

Antoine Roussel

Markus Granlund (Assuming he extends)

Tim Schaller

Tyler Motte

Josh Leivo

Erik Gudbranson

Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom (Assuming he extends)

*Assuming Tanev and Edler are gone.

Here's the rules:

Expansion Draft

Seattle will follow the same rules for the 2021 Expansion Draft as Vegas did in 2017:

Regulations Relating to Seattle Expansion Franchise

* The Seattle franchise must select one player from each presently existing club – all except Vegas – for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Seattle franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Seattle franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2021‑22 season.

* The Seattle franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season’s upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Seattle franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing “No Movement” clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements

* All clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club’s player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Thought it might be time to resurrect this thread even though it is still a year off, it never hurts to plan for the future or take stock of who to keep and how.

One thing that hasn't been kicked around is how much better this will make Vegas. Vegas is exempt from having any players taken, they will have cap space and can go over the cap by 10% allowing for straight up trades or facilitating a trade of convenience for a draft pick(s).

Vancouver has added another two NMC clauses to the other one they have and may end up creating an additional one if they decide to re-sign Tanev or Marky.

For the team to get around the goalie protection (DEMKO) they may have to sign another goalie.

My guess so far is protecting;

Horvat

Boeser

Hughes

Ferland - NMC

Petterson

Demko

Myers - NMC

Edler - NMC

Virtanen

This leaves a lot of the future and depth exposed.

Pretty sure Benning will want to protect Miller so i expect to see movement some where. maybe a give and give back trade for another draft pick with Vegas.

Will Seattle end up being like Vegas coming out of the blocks way ahead of most divisional rivals? An automatic contender? I do not see why not but the Canucks should start thinking about tomorrow rather than just today, the cap situation is throttling them soon and for the next three or four years, this is easy to see for anyone/fan wanting this team to become more than a flash and done team or rebuild and then rebuild again team. Just not enough draft picks making the big squad and not enough roster spots available even if players are good enough. The owner, Aquilini, certainly doesn't want many millions buried in the farm and that would not help too much anyway.

The future is the draft, stop trading away draft picks on a team that has not shown to be contenders, this resembles something that TO did decades ago for their last cup, trading away future prospects and picks.

Who do the Canucks protect and expose. Seattle can take only one player anyway so let's no give up two or three assets for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Thought it might be time to resurrect this thread even though it is still a year off, it never hurts to plan for the future or take stock of who to keep and how.

One thing that hasn't been kicked around is how much better this will make Vegas. Vegas is exempt from having any players taken, they will have cap space and can go over the cap by 10% allowing for straight up trades or facilitating a trade of convenience for a draft pick(s).

Vancouver has added another two NMC clauses to the other one they have and may end up creating an additional one if they decide to re-sign Tanev or Marky.

For the team to get around the goalie protection (DEMKO) they may have to sign another goalie.

My guess so far is protecting;

Horvat

Boeser

Hughes

Ferland - NMC

Petterson

Demko

Myers - NMC

Edler - NMC

Virtanen

This leaves a lot of the future and depth exposed.

Pretty sure Benning will want to protect Miller so i expect to see movement some where. maybe a give and give back trade for another draft pick with Vegas.

Will Seattle end up being like Vegas coming out of the blocks way ahead of most divisional rivals? An automatic contender? I do not see why not but the Canucks should start thinking about tomorrow rather than just today, the cap situation is throttling them soon and for the next three or four years, this is easy to see for anyone/fan wanting this team to become more than a flash and done team or rebuild and then rebuild again team. Just not enough draft picks making the big squad and not enough roster spots available even if players are good enough. The owner, Aquilini, certainly doesn't want many millions buried in the farm and that would not help too much anyway.

The future is the draft, stop trading away draft picks on a team that has not shown to be contenders, this resembles something that TO did decades ago for their last cup, trading away future prospects and picks.

Who do the Canucks protect and expose. Seattle can take only one player anyway so let's no give up two or three assets for one.

Edler contract expires before the expansion draft, does not require protection. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Incredible how much this thread has changed since it was started, but it's going to change again over the next 12 months. At the moment though, I'd be protecting:

1) Eriksson (because we have to, unless we somehow find a way to trade him)

2) Horvat

3) JT Miller

4) Pettersson

5) Edler (NMC)

6) Myers (NMC)

7) Boeser

8) Last spot up for grabs - I would take Pearson at this point in time and leave Stecher and Tanev exposed who they will likely gobble up

9) Goalie - I'd keep Markstrom because he'd be the obvious pick for their goalie and expose Demko as sad as it'll be. Seattle can take 3 goalies and you just know they'll take Demko if he's available for their backup because there's not going to be many top tier goalies exposed. 

Let's just hope they take an ageing Tanev instead of Demko...

Ferland will be an interesting one due to his NMC and injury, if he hasn't played the prior 60 games then he doesn't have to be exposed.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Incredible how much this thread has changed since it was started, but it's going to change again over the next 12 months. At the moment though, I'd be protecting:

2) Horvat

3) JT Miller

4) Pettersson

5) Edler (NMC)

6) Myers (NMC)

7) Boeser

8) Last spot up for grabs - I would take Pearson at this point in time and leave Stecher and Tanev exposed who they will likely gobble up

9) Goalie - I'd keep Markstrom because he'd be the obvious pick for their goalie and expose Demko as sad as it'll be. Seattle can take 3 goalies and you just know they'll take Demko if he's available for their backup because there's not going to be many top tier goalies exposed. 

Ferland will be an interesting one due to his NMC and injury, if he hasn't played the prior 60 games then he doesn't have to be exposed.

LE has a modified trade clause next year.    We don't have to waste a spot on him.   Edler doesnt have a contract so won't have to waste one on him either.

We we will protect 7 forwards and three defenseman.   Aside from not having a choice but to leave one of our goalies exposed at a bad time for us, JB has done an admirable job so far of setting us up for the draft.    Hard to tell who we protect for sure yet.   

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

2) Horvat

3) JT Miller

4) Pettersson

5) Edler (NMC)

6) Myers (NMC)

7) Boeser

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

LE has a modified trade clause next year.    We don't have to waste a spot on him.   Edler doesnt have a contract so won't have to waste one on him either.

We we will protect 7 forwards and three defenseman.   Aside from not having a choice but to leave one of our goalies exposed at a bad time for us, JB has done an admirable job so far of setting us up for the draft.    Hard to tell who we protect for sure yet.   

Myers also doesn't have an NMC and won't need protecting either (on top of Eriksson and Edler).

Damned misinformation, eh @IBatch :P

I could see us exposing him to simply shed his cap and keep us from losing a goalie etc. Assuming our D prospects progress, other moves etc leave him expendable.

So that's three extra protection slots @DownUndaCanuck ;)

• Cheers 1

Benning has done a good job avoiding giving NMCs to anyone for the draft.  All of Ferland, Myers, and Edlers expire just before the draft.  Also LE has a NTC, not a NMC.

Right now my players to protect:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

maybe if Lind or someone else makes the jump to the NHL we’ll have to protect him but for now that seventh guy is Pearson

On defence I don’t even know who we’d protect.  Hughes does not need protection and who knows if Stecher or Tanev would be around then.  Maybe Rafferty, Myers, Juolevi?

Then in goal it would be one of two I’m very helpful here lol

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

Benning has done a good job avoiding giving NMCs to anyone for the draft.  All of Ferland, Myers, and Edlers expire just before the draft.  Also LE has a NTC, not a NMC.

Right now my players to protect:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

maybe if Lind or someone else makes the jump to the NHL we’ll have to protect him but for now that seventh guy is Pearson

On defence I don’t even know who we’d protect.  Hughes does not need protection and who knows if Stecher or Tanev would be around then.  Maybe Rafferty, Myers, Juolevi?

Then in goal it would be one of two I’m very helpful here lol

Tryamkin would require protection assuming he comes back and is worthy of it. 

Could be Brisebois too depending on how he progresses.

But yes, three of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rafferty, Brisebois or Myers (though I think we expose him). We could also trade or sign for a guy that would require a spot as well.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers also doesn't have an NMC and won't need protecting either (on top of Eriksson and Edler).

Damned misinformation, eh @IBatch :P

I could see us exposing him to simply shed his cap and keep us from losing a goalie etc. Assuming our D prospects progress, other moves etc leave him expendable.

So that's three extra protection slots @DownUndaCanuck ;)

The real question is does Tryamkin require protection ha have.   AHL games count as pro games so one could assume KHL ones do too, plus decent odds he will be back next season .... 

edit:  just saw you've already covered that 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The real question is does Tryamkin require protection ha have.   AHL games count as pro games so one could assume KHL ones do too, plus decent odds he will be back next season .... 

edit:  just saw you've already covered that 

Yeah, as soon as he plays one shift in the AHL or NHL, it's his 3rd pro season and he becomes eligible.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Tryamkin would require protection assuming he comes back and is worthy of it. 

Could be Brisebois too depending on how he progresses.

But yes, three of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rafferty, Brisebois or Myers (though I think we expose him). We could also trade or sign for a guy that would require a spot as well.

I think we expose Myers too.  A bit risky but Seattle might not be interested anyways and rather take a shot on an unknown with less cap and upside. 

Just now, IBatch said:

I think we expose Myers too.  A bit risky but Seattle might not be interested anyways and rather take a shot on an unknown with less cap and upside. 

Meh, he's still young enough and decent enough that I think they'd probably grab him. Particularly as D are arguably higher value.

Depending on what other moves Benning makes over the next year, it would pretty much be between him and whichever goalie we expose.

We're pretty safe for forwards.