The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

I would hate to think that its all slanted. lol  

I can't help but always think about what Brendan Morrison said after that lock out way back.

He said hockey is forever changed as its now not a sport, it's entertainment.   and it took me a bit to understand what that meant until time past and the game changed, then I got it.

My one fear was hockey becoming more like basketball, and it sorta has. 

It's very true. I do find it hard to watch most sports these days. The officiating is far too rigged and purposefully directed towards game management to be looked at as an authentic sporting match between two teams in which officials are maintaining the rulebook effectively.

34 minutes ago, apollo said:

This league is such a joke. 

Two bs calls to put us down 5 on 3... 

Yet pateryn doesn't get a 5 minute major for his career threatening play. 

Yea we aren't the best team out there this year but we've been robbed by refs at least 10 times already. 

Career threatening play? Give it a rest. It was barely a penalty.  It wasn’t late. It wasn’t charging. Virtanen wasn’t even really in the danger zone a few feet away from the boards.  He just happened to be bent over when he got hit.  

My thoughts from last night:

• Reffing is garbage as usual
  • Our PP is slow, predictable and toothless
  • Our PK is slow, predictable and full of holes
  • Goalies are picking up on EP40's tendencies
  • Boeser is not alright. Something is still ailing him
  • Leivo looked good

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Bo standing right there, I think he pushed Patyrn then the ref said "thats enough".... ThaT right there is PUSH BACK, Canuck style.

Didn't do it for Petey or Baer why do it for Virtyboy?

Still waiting for that 'culture change'

Exactly this. I was watching a Flames game last week and after the whistle a d man for the opposing team gave Gaudreau a semi-hard nudge behind the net, Tkachuk immediately went over put his glove into the guys chest and shoved him into the boards. No ref said anything and all 3 players skated away...barely anything, but message sent. I rarely see any Canuck do this except for Roussell but he just yaps mostly, isn't really intimidating and is a first year Canuck. Honestly I'd swap Loui for Lucic in a second, both contracts are terrible but at least Lucic is still that presence out there that the Canucks lack and could use with all the young soft-skill they have now and in the coming few years.

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Exactly this. I was watching a Flames game last week and after the whistle a d man for the opposing team gave Gaudreau a semi-hard nudge behind the net, Tkachuk immediately went over put his glove into the guys chest and shoved him into the boards. No ref said anything and all 3 players skated away...barely anything, but message sent. I rarely see any Canuck do this except for Roussell but he just yaps mostly, isn't really intimidating and is a first year Canuck. Honestly I'd swap Loui for Lucic in a second, both contracts are terrible but at least Lucic is still that presence out there that the Canucks lack and could use with all the young soft-skill they have now and in the coming few years.

Do we have anyone that will fight for their teammates. They're all playing too soft right now

5 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I'd be on board with the trade, as long as Lucic could be exposed to Seattle for the expansion draft.

Just looking at some stats, EP is not shooting the puck nearly as much as he was early on. In his first 10 games he had 28 shots and only has 23 in his last 14 games. Mainly due I suspect to teams acknowledging him and giving him less space etc. They have to find a way to get him more shots though, he has the hardest and likely most accurate shot on the team and he's only averaging 2 shots a game.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd be on board with the trade, as long as Lucic could be exposed to Seattle for the expansion draft.

I saw a list of players with NMC that would need protection and he was on it. I'd be shocked if both aren't bought out within the next 2 seasons.

54 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

That's league avg.?   They have a pretty good back end, and we are kinda SWISS CHEESE lol

It's league average.  Their PP is bottom-5 in the league despite their Ds all able to shoot.  They produce at 5v5.  For Laviolette there is no positional play in the o-zone - it's just 5 guys working together to score a goal. 

19 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I saw a list of players with NMC that would need protection and he was on it. I'd be shocked if both aren't bought out within the next 2 seasons.

Yeah. Don't want to be chained to that contract and lose a good young player in the process. Although, having a culture of turning the other cheek and taking it, isn't that great either.

19 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Canucks need to draft players like Tkachuk Calgary, Lemieux Winnepeg, Foligno Columbus, as those are the new era tough guys.

In this coming draft, I think Benning will be looking for that. Tkachuk doesn't strike me as tough though. That crazy ass battle against Edmonton exposed his more gutless side

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In this coming draft, I think Benning will be looking for that. Tkachuk doesn't strike me as tough though. That crazy ass battle against Edmonton exposed his more gutless side

Reaves and Wilson are tough.  Let's get both!

Worked late last night and just catching the game now looks like more of the same as usual.

Why Green has Granlund on the penalty kill after he's shown over and over every game how useless he is at it is beyond me and almost as useless Schaller as well.

This guy is moving far too slow offers no pressure whatsoever giving the opposition all the time and space in the world. If I'm a skilled opposition forward I'd be drooling thinking about how soft slow and easy Granlund is guy is like playing against a woman basically it's so pathetic.

Seriously I have no idea where to find the stats but over these last dozen or so games we've been losing I wonder what the penalty kill % is when Granlunds on the ice seems like the other teams are scoring at a 50% rate it's so bad ff unbelievable.

Green keeps Granlund in there struggling like he kept Pouliot screwing the team over and over for far too long and useless Schaller on the team or PK or with Horvat for a stretch over someone who could actually help really questioning his lineup decisions especially when they're weaknesses that are making such a negative difference and the teams losing all these games.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Reaves and Wilson are tough.  Let's get both!

Both are signed with their respective clubs. No chance they'd accept a trade to the rebuilding team. In fact, I think Benning did approach Reaves regarding signing in Vancouver, and Reaves chose Vegas.

As well, how muted Gudbranson has been this season, outside of the beatdown on Hamonic, and the occasional massive hit (like the one on Hendricks last night), leads me to believe that if Reaves or Wilson were to be traded here, they would be given direction to play the game, and leave out the rough stuff.

This is all part of the Tank job that Benning is secretly pulling off. Linden was let go because he wanted to openly Tank. He wanted the club to completely bottom out for one to two more years. I think Linden will see that happen anyway. If you don't have assets to trade for better players then you have no choice but to let nature take its coarse. Signing a bunch of UFA retirement contracts doesn't work so what you see is what you get.     :rolleyes::frantic:

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

and we even overpay. Whats wrong with him?  Must be the housing prices

He already established himself with the players there, I'd assume. The price of houses being as ridiculously out of touch as they are might have something to do with it. And maybe Reaves likes living in the desert.

Archived