The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Imagine if we had even  1 dman that has a point shot AND  can make a clean tape to tape pass. 

this d group looks slower with every game. The forwards are passing them going back into the defensive zone. 

Not worried about losing a d man in the expansion draft.

1 minute ago, combover said:

Imagine if we had even  1 dman that has a point shot AND  can make a clean tape to tape pass. 

this d group looks slower with every game. The forwards are passing them going back into the defensive zone. 

Not worried about losing a d man in the expansion draft.

The group looks slower because they keep on losing and those losses are taking a psychological toll on them. 

Hughes and Juolevi will show some improved passing a playmaking. Hopefully Baumgartner is fired by then. 

8 hours ago, b3. said:

It is a shame that Tryamkin was a bit of a headcase, he may have been one of our best defenseman right now.

I mean he is still very well connected with the team. His Instagram profile picture is him in canucks pre-game jersey and also commented on a pre-game livestream. 

I think we see Tryamkin make a return, probably during the 2020-2021 season as he has 1 more year left in the KHL after this season.

Expectations should have been set realistically.  Unfortunately, some great showings by the kids early on had some set the bar there.

Yes, a losing slump is tough....imagine how they're feeling about it??  Often when a team starts losing they squeeze the sticks too hard.  They change things and it stops working.  Fatigue for a team that's had a whole lot of minutes to fill WAS a factor during this.   Bo's taken so many faceoffs he must have a permanent hunch now. Terrible officiating IS a factor in this.  Not excuses, but let's look at the overall big picture and how this team has managed to compete and be in the games, even when losing them. 

I paid $110/ticket a few years ago and watched us shut out some games.  There was NOTHING to cheer about. Lacklustre, no speed, nothing.

We're seeing some exciting stuff...take away something positive instead of just waiting for a win.  Those crossbars and posts could have gone in as easily as they bounced out.

That's just me.  I'm loving watching this team and plan on supporting them into the future, as they grow into the expectations and work out the kinks.

Bo, Petey, Jake, Brock, Stech, Hutty.  I enjoy watching them play, win or lose.  And, if we get a high pick and add to the program, it's just business as usual.  I'm too disinterested to go back and see those who screamed for a rebuild who, now, may be forgetting how that works.

We're going to lose.  But if we see some of the kids able to give it a go, we're heading in the right direction.

People who pay good $$ that I know are just fine with the path we're on.

It's ok to be critical...but to be nothing but is a little pointless.

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Canucks wont have him back unless they are going to trade him.   with the youth transition he sets an example they cant afford to accept.

I don't agree, at all.

He's young and wanted to play.  He was newly married and wanted to go "home" with his bride.

If he did come back, it would be because he's ready to.  And I'd embrace him with open arms....seeing how he played, 100% so.  The team would have a huge asset there.

3 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

EP isn't that strong on his feet as I see him on his a$$ a lot during the game.

But he continues to "play", even when taken down.  It's not so much that he's not strong...he's the focus.  He takes more heat than the average guy.  He also isn't afraid to go for the puck, even when unreachable.  And, often, steals it even though he shouldn't have even had a shot at it.

It's not that he's "falling down" a lot...it's that he doesn't give up on the play and will stretch, dive, lunge and continue to pursue the puck.

Besides, some of his magic is when he's falling to the ice.  Guys have already given up on him at that point and...surprise...he makes a beautiful pass to the slot.  Down but never out.

35 minutes ago, appleboy said:

As soon as we start to lose people jump off the bandwagon. There is so much that is positive to look at. Wins are nice but not what is the most important right now. We have some real solid young players developing before our eyes. All of our best players are young!

The defense is our biggest weakness. No team goes very far without a top level defense.

All of Edmonton, Carolina and Arizona's best players are young too, so i dont really get what's your point. 

9 hours ago, b3. said:

Maybe I'm being to hard on our defence, but this is how I personally rate them with how they are playing currently.

Top pairing guys:

We have none.

Second pairing guys:

Edler & Tanev - both are solid second pairing guys in this stage of their careers, but they aren't as cool of cats as they used to be.

Third pairing guys:

Stecher - he works his butt off, but there isn't much for offence with him, and he is okay defensively. I always hoped he could be a Ryan Ellis type. I think he is a solid third pairing guy.

Del Zotto - he works hard as well, but makes the most bonehead plays, I see him as a 6-7 defenseman on a good team

Biega - belongs in the AHL that is all

Gudbranson - I honestly think he would have been a camp invite, he doesn't really do anything good.

Hutton - he is probably the most frustrating to watch, he has games where he is a legit 2nd pairing guy, then he goes on spells where you want to dig his grave. It sucks since he is a solid skater, and can think the game.

Pouliot - he doesn't belong in the NHL, decent offensive guy, but can't skate, and can't think the game quick enough.

By the time Juolevi and Hughes are ready, unless they have some signings or trades, this defensive is still going to be god awful. Unless they give Edler, Tanev, and Hutton some Russian gas.

Can't argue with much of that. Frankly, if we are bottom 3 by the trade deadline it's time to waive some of this fodder and bring guys like Sautner, McEneny and Brisebois up to see who we keep this offseason.

Not sure what's been said in the thread but we need to get back to having 2 offensive lines, one with Bo and Brock, the other with Goldy and EP, then let Beagle's line handle the main defensive assignment. I thought at times last night Beagle's line looked aggressive and effective, build on that. EP and Brock can play together on the pp, and Green can always shake things up during the game, but we need to get Bo back to a more offensive role. I'm hoping Green will make the needed adjustments here.

Seems like every time #4 ends up in the box the puck ends up in our net.

51 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Sedins were tops in give aways too.  Let's face it, if you're holding the puck and driving play, you have a higher chance of giving the puck away.  

I partially accept that but D's hold the puck too and look for outlets, often the forwards do not make that easy for them and in many cases resulting in giveaways. 

All I'm saying is some players get away with anything when they are flavour of the month.

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

We didn’t win 

we didn’t tie 

so why didn’t we settle the score on the JV hit?

Bo standing right there, I think he pushed Patyrn then the ref said "thats enough".... ThaT right there is PUSH BACK, Canuck style.

Didn't do it for Petey or Baer why do it for Virtyboy?

Still waiting for that 'culture change'

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

Bo standing right there, I think he pushed Patyrn then the ref said "thats enough".... ThaT right there is PUSH BACK, Canuck style.

Didn't do it for Petey or Baer why do it for Virtyboy?

Still waiting for that 'culture change'

A player should have attacked Pateryn and started feeding him fists. Not sure where this lack of response is coming from, but players like Gudbranson and Roussel were always ready to go in Florida and Dallas respectively. Maybe Green believes in Buddhism?

as fans we can be frustrated, but the team, JB, TG and the players trying to survive against better competition must be demoralizing. i've never been a player, but i feel what they feel. they don't have enough scorers, their defense is weak and their goalies try but can't steal any games. 

next year should be a bit better but we'll still have trouble in games. in 2 years, we should be making the play offs.

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm not sure JB lasts the season if things don't change.  

Lets just pretend for a minute that that happens. Who is the next inexperienced GM prodigy to take over?

We don't even have an inexperienced Prez to name a new inexperienced GM prodigy.

So that leaves Aqua to name a new inexperienced GM prodigy, may as well name himself, you know he wants to.

Then he may as well make a clean sweep and fire the coach and bring in brother Aqua.

oh this is getting all too Charles Wang, I am going to go back to bed and try and wake up with a better idea.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A player should have attacked Pateryn and started feeding him fists. Not sure where this lack of response is coming from, but players like Gudbranson and Roussel were always ready to go in Florida and Dallas respectively. Maybe Green believes in Buddhism?

ohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not against the Wild for Roussel.  They still mock him because he turtled in front of Winnick last year.

Archived