The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 1 last run

Gator

Let's just start this off by saying I can almost guarentee this will never happen, but boy I wish it would. So before I go babbling on I just want to say that this thread is about 1 more run for our beloved Sedin twins. 

Think of how good Peterson would gel with these 2, if we had these 3 all in their prime it would be the deadliest line in the NHL. Peterson don't need the Sedins in their prime to actually bring out the best in them. They may have slowed down but their hockey IQ and sedinery still exists. Peterson also brings that sedinery playmaking ability, but he also has a great accurate shot. Them 3 together even now would be magical.

So say they come back, how do they fit into the lineup? 

Sedin Sedin Petersson

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Roussel

Eriksson Sutter Beagle

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin* Stecher

Juolevi Gudbranson

XXXXX Pouliot 

Schnieder*

Nilsson/Demko

Trade away:

Baertschi - Schnieder

Granlund - 3rd or 4th + 5th/6th

Edler - 1st or 2nd (hopefully active tdl)

Gagner - 7th

Hutton - Schnieder

Markstrom - Schnieder

TO NJD 

Baertschi

Hutton

Markstrom

Couple picks between rounds 4-7

TO VAN

Schnieder

That's if they're willing to let him go. I think it's in their best interested to trade him, he hasn't worked out there. I know it'd be hard to trade him back to us knowing what we have in Horvat, but at least they're getting 2 solid young players, an avg goalie, and a couple lottery picks. It all boils down to if they still believe he can turn things around there, and I believe they may see Kinkaid as the better goalie.

Getting Schnieder would be key to talking the Sedins out of retirement. No matter how good Petersson is you can't win a cup with just avg goaltending in this league. Another good and favourable option for me would be to convince Luongo to come back and also convince Florida to trade him. I'd do Baertschi+Markstrom, but I don't think I'd pay what was offered for Schnieder (unless we were forced to). Not only can both those guys be that elite goalie to turn a team like this around, but they would both be the PERFECT mentor for Demko and DiPietro. I prefer Luongo simply because I think Demko will be a full time starter in 2 years and I don't think Schnieder will like to ride the Bench in Vancouver anymore.

How will this team be able to win it all?

It will take a lot of what ifs to happen, but that's like any contender any year. Here is why I believe this team could actually make a serious push for the cup!

OFFENSE 

Sedins with Petersson will be magical and they will be putting up a lot of jaw dropping highlights and just tire popping teams lines down with constant pressure in the offensive zone. The 2nd line is very solid with Horvat centering breaking out Virtanen, and deadly sniper Brock. Those 3 would make an excellent 2nd line. The 3rd and 4th lines are mixed with experienced vets and hungry youth that play solid defence. Even if they're not scoring they will wear out the opposing team's.

DEFENCE

Now this is the thing that's really been holding us back since our last run. Our defence is terrible. You know who is very good at defence? Tryamkin. Tryamking was an absolute BEAST defensively in his lone season here, and I've been following his progression and he's only gotten better. This guy is no joke and Sedins or no Sedins we have to convince this guy to come back. I never in my life felt so comfortable with an opposing team going down the ice with a 2 on 1 as I did when we had him, this guy is insanely good on defence. Him alone would significantly reduce our goals against total, with or without improved goaltending. So with that 1 guy our defence just got a whole lot better, and Juolevi is also quietly very good at defending. Is that all though? Not quite. What else are we missing on our defence? oh yeah, a offensive threat and a PP QB. Look no further than Quinn Hughes!!! That guy will be turning heads similar to how Petersson is turning heads this year. Hughes is an elite offensive Dman, and he's also very good at getting back on D if he gets himself in trouble. He will do wonders for our PP and just the overall production from our backend. You know who else could emerge as a solid PP QB? Juolevi. That guy might not be electrifying but he plays the game very smart and has a very good eye with his break out passes.

GOALTENDING

Not even team Canada would win the Cup with Markstrom in net. Ok maybe a little exaggeration but y'all know what I'm saying. If we got Luongo or Schnieder they would instantly make the team better. Schnieder looks bad lately but I think a reunion would do wonders for him turning things around. If we are to make a run possible this is a big area to fill, and I believe these are our best 2 options, unless Roy or Brodeur will come out of retirement lol.

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU LOVE TO SEE THE SEDINS TO COME BACK FOR 1 MORE RUN?!?!?!

This is maybe four years too late.  Watching the Sedins the past few years was painful at times, slowed right down and were largely inefficient 5 x 5 despite the ozone starts.  Don’t think Pettersson would change that, even if they were still in playing, which they are not.

Once they announced retirement we got to see a few performances that reminded us of how good they used to be, but those games were far and few between for the most part.  

One last run is a pipe dream (but at least it’s legal now so power to you), the team never one with them and bringing them back if we look to be in the playoffs wouldn’t improve our chances and if anything throw a wrench into the lineup and become disrupting.  They did us a favour by retiring and not dragging this on any longer, for that and their memories I’m grateful.  They can still play at least another season, that’s unquestionable but that’s would have only delayed things further, the team needs the spots for the next core.

13 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Huge overpayment on Schneider. I'd say Markstrom alone is too much. Schneider's salary is 6 million/year, he's won 1 game since last december, he's had injury trouble.

This.  Also, re: the Swedish line, I don't see Pettersson and the Twins playing well together.  They would be the most perimeter line EVER.  
Think about this, the linemate for them has been Burr, Carter, Pyatt, Eriksson... guys who play in front of the net.  

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Think of how good Peterson would gel with these 2, if we had these 3 all in their prime it would be the deadliest line in the NHL.

I don't even know how that would be possible consodering the Sedins are 18 years older.

Besides, they would not make a good match.  The Sedins worked best with guys like Burrows.  Pettersson is far better off with Boeser.  They are like a modern day Hull and Oates.

As for getting them back for one last run, that would just be sad to watch.  It is unlikely the Canucks will make the playoffs this year.   They were smart and knew it was the right time to retire.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I don't even know how that would be possible consodering the Sedins are 18 years older.

Besides, they would not make a good match.  The Sedins worked best with guys like Burrows.  Pettersson is far better off with Boeser.  They are like a modern day Hull and Oates.

As for getting them back for one last run, that would just be sad to watch.  It is unlikely the Canucks will make the playoffs this year.   They were smart and knew it was the right time to retire.

Would it be possible to have the Sedins, Bure, and Mogilny?

On 12/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Wouldn't the sedins have needed to sign by Dec. 1 to play this season?

Also, huge overpayment on Schneider. I'd say Markstrom alone is too much. Schneider's salary is 6 million/year, he's won 1 game since last december, he's had injury trouble.

Fisher signed at/near the trade deadline last season with Nashville. I think.

Archived