The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Could Cherry even pronounce his name? Because he botched every name he tried to say Saturday night; well beyond his old Bieska/Lulongo schtick. 

He didn't even try... he just said "you've got a number 4 or 5 defensman there" and then rambled onto something else.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeesh, that's sad. 

I guess being fair to Grapes, he was probably referring to Matheson from FLA from earlier this year, but didn't segue properly from discussing Kotkaniemi.   

I still think he should retire from television and continue doing his valuable charity work for Hockey Canada and youth hockey around the world. 

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You don't respect him because of his antics at the age of 80, despite all he has done for the country?   I'm not saying we have to respect him because he's old, we should respect him for what he has has done for charity and the game of hockey, and the fact that he's old means we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he does say something illogical.   Instead, people get triggered and call him a useless old man.  

This is one of those debates that seriously feels one-sided, not in terms of "who is winning" but more in terms of I'm talking to a brick wall who seems just as senile as the man we're talking about and not even willing to listen. This isn't even a debate anymore since you aren't even willing to listen to others.

I told you twice now that I respect the things he has done but, let me repeat myself again since apparently it's too hard to understand: it does not give him a free pass to be obnoxious. I don't mind if you respect him yet apparently you mind that I do not respect his antics.. You seem to have this notion that, because you think something, everyone else has to think it. Reality check: they don't.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah sorry I don't understand your point.  You respect what he has done for the country/game etc but you do not respect his antics.  That's fair. Do you want this Canadian legend taken off the air because he can be obnoxious at times?   I'm saying we should just deal with the negatives that come with grapes and let the old man die doing what he loves to do, because he has earned it.  It's entertaining and he speaks from the heart

No, I want him taken off the air because he clearly can't keep up with the demands of the job anymore. 

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah sorry I don't understand your point.  You respect what he has done for the country/game etc but you do not respect his antics.  That's fair. Do you want this Canadian legend taken off the air because he can be obnoxious at times?   I'm saying we should just deal with the negatives that come with grapes and let the old man die doing what he loves to do, because he has earned it.  It's entertaining and he speaks from the heart

I don't really care if he's on or off air honestly as I don't typically watch him anymore. That being said, while he may have earned being on the air long ago, the only reason why he even still has a job at this point is because of who he is as opposed to what he's actually doing. Does he bring knowledge? Sure. Does he bring logic with that knowledge?.... not all the time. lol

Speaking your mind is fine and people respect people who speak their mind as it's a risk that person is taking; however, because it's a risk it can also get you in trouble and lose that respect which is what has happened to him.

25 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So we need to replace his 4 minutes per week with Brian Burke, Nick Kypreos, or whoever else would replace him?  Or just get rid of coaches corner and just listen to the panel?  Because he messes up names and offended's Europeans once in awhile?

Did you watch Coach's Corner during the Leafs game? He could barely string two words together without MacLean needing to help him along. It's not his opinions, it's that he's clearly struggling to do his job out there. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

And you probably use the word "peoplekind" instead of "mankind"

You did see this quote, right?  Don Cherry on Elias : Pettersson, boy does he remind me of Gretzky. The only difference is he isn't protected. What a beauty this kid is, he can shoot the puck and is really something.

We are aware he occasionally will compliment a player, his comments also came late, in this example he was

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

And you probably use the word "peoplekind" instead of "mankind"

You did see this quote, right?  Don Cherry on Elias : Pettersson, boy does he remind me of Gretzky. The only difference is he isn't protected. What a beauty this kid is, he can shoot the puck and is really something.

His occasionally compliments western Canadian nhl players !  That’s not new!  He was also late to the show with his pettersson comments since he was the last majors sports clown to compliment him.  Maybe it was the hype train, but we can all see through him.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are you even replying to me if you don't care either way?  I was replying to someone who called him a useless old man.  Thanks for wasting my time

I'm not replying to any more messages in this thread I have said my fair share

Because I care that you are not respecting others' opinions. There's a difference. I respect that you respect him. You clearly don't respect that other people don't respect him. Get it? If you don't respect others then don't expect to get that respect back.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Sorry I dont respect someone calling Don Cherry a useless old man.....I'm such a terrible person aren't I?

Like I said, don't expect to get respect back. Clearly you like messing with hornet nests.

Anyway, perhaps it is best not to continue. You've been stung enough clearly.

Just to chime in,  Cherry has his moments. He is clearly still on TV because he is widely known and the older generation can relate to him. His job is to generate interest and by the sounds of this thread there is a lot of controversy over his words. controversy generates free media/advertising

He does have a pretty epic quote list

1. On Edmonton Oilers defenseman Randy Gregg, who also happened to be a doctor, missing a wide open net:

"How would you like that guy operating on you with those hands?"

2. On Ron MacLean's puns:

"A million comedians starving to death and you're trying to be one."
3. On being pulled over by a motorcycle policeman:

"He was wearing a visor. I thought he was Russian."
10. On his real thoughts about immigrants to Canada:
"When I come into an airport at 2am, guess who takes my ticket? They work hard, and they're alright in my book."

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/10/top-ten-don-cherry-quotes.html

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I don't expecting anything, what the hell is this?  Some sort of respectful hugging convention?  We are arguing points and I take offence to people downplaying his achievements and what he's done.  That's all

Where have I downplayed what he has done? Point out exactly where I've downplayed him. Quote it.

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not talking about you.  I'm still not even sure why you felt the need to butt in to this is the first place since you don't care either way and you agree with me on his accomplishments

It's like you're arguing with me, even though you pretty much agree with me..

I don't agree with you. I think people should be able to decide for themselves who to respect and not have some random person on a forum decide for them.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So.....how's Elias' knee doing?

Oh yeah, I thought this thread was about Don's comments lol !

Speaking as someone with a history of lingering knee problems... this is a great update. Petey will bounce back from this like nothing happened is my expectation. At least a couple weeks off to play it safe is my guess

Archived