The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PlayStation 5 Thread

Zigmund.Palffy

On 11/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, Tre Mac said:

This might be a sign to step away from gaming for awhile.  I wanted a ps5 but after they and Bestbuy handled this it kind of soured me tbh.  

Go PC if you want the best overall experience for a balance of graphics and smooth frame rate gameplay  and if you have the time and appetite of serious gamers. Consoles will always lag behind PC tech development. 

For me I am a casual guy so will probably just go console but wait 2 or 3 years when they can maybe cut down on the massive size of these next gen space eating heaters.

Seriously the designs for all are just lacking. The Xbox series x is just a pc tower/ mini subwoofer/mini fridge.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:49 AM, filthycanuck said:

If you are a semi heavy gamer, go disk option. You'll save a bunch from used games, games on sale in best buy, and a blu-ray 4k to boot. I can't stress this enough, if anyone has seen a 4k bluray in action on a nice tv, its sublime. If you're the type thats just casual gamer, maybe buys a game or 2 a year, digital is the way to go. I game pretty good in my xbox so Im going disk on the series X and digital on PS5 since I'll only buy maybe 1 or 2 games at most during the year and just feast off the freebies of PS plus

Since you have both... how does the expanded XBox gamepass service partnership with EA play compare with Ps plus?

I like the idea in the future of being able to play the same game anytime and anywhere on different platforms and screens.

I think Microsoft has the right approach for the future of gaming.

Think of being able to play the regular full game of like 2K on your phone or tablet when you are travelling somewhere( once Covid is less of a threat obviously). Or  maybe some kid is playing GTA on the big screen 8k tv while dad kicks him off to watch a movie or the big game.

The kid then can continue the same game on his pc without having a separate  pc version of the same game since everything would be based off streaming and all the devices connected  to the same WiFi network.

It could be revolutionary. The success of the Switch just shows that there is a growing market thanks to mobile gaming on the app store of games being accessible  anytime anywhere you have a internet connection and then whatever device you are on becomes your game console so to speak.

Edited by Chip Kelly

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Since you have both... how does the expanded XBox gamepass service partnership with EA play compare with Ps plus?

I like the idea in the future of being able to play the same game anytime and anywhere on different platforms and screens.

I think Microsoft has the right approach for the future of gaming.

Think of being able to play the regular full game of like 2K on your phone or tablet when you are travelling somewhere( once Covid is less of a threat obviously). Or  maybe some kid is playing GTA on the big screen 8k tv while dad kicks him off to watch a movie or the big game.

The kid then can continue the same game on his pc without having a separate  pc version of the same game since everything would be based off streaming and all the devices connected  to the same WiFi network.

It could be revolutionary. The success of the Switch just shows that there is a growing market thanks to mobile gaming on the app store of games being accessible  anytime anywhere you have a internet connection and then whatever device you are on becomes your game console so to speak.

xbox live vs ps plus, they are pretty much equal in terms of discounts, but quality of freebie games, slightly towards ps plus. Gamepass changes everything and I'll probably sign up once my xbl subscription expires. GPass Ultimate is too much of a good deal, not only that you get to play a whole slew of games, but like you said, migrate it to PC and mobile, EA pass also being thrown in as well as xbl gold, too hard to say no

• 2 weeks later...

I was surfing Varage Sale this morning, looking for supplies for my new pup.  I bumped into an ad for a PS5.  $1,100 bucks.  Sure, people are free to make a buck, but this kind of thing really grinds my gears.  Someone who wanted to buy one for themselves can't, because this              bought one solely for the purpose of scalping it.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I was surfing Varage Sale this morning, looking for supplies for my new pup.  I bumped into an ad for a PS5.  $1,100 bucks.  Sure, people are free to make a buck, but this kind of thing really grinds my gears.  Someone who wanted to buy one for themselves can't, because this              bought one solely for the purpose of scalping it.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm trying to get one for my kids for Christmas and it's been impossible so far. I got up early on the preorder and release day but no such luck. I signed up for emails from retailers who said they'll let you know when more are in stock but I haven't received anything yet. I refuse to buy one from a reseller so it may be a disappointing Christmas this year. 

On 11/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, Tre Mac said:

This might be a sign to step away from gaming for awhile.  I wanted a ps5 but after they and Bestbuy handled this it kind of soured me tbh.  

Not a big deal unless you are absolutely eager to play a certain game like Gran Turismo. But that isn't released till next year some time, so..

Meh, I always wait a year with these systems for them to work out all the bugs plus there are usually special editions coming out a year later anyways.

Only system I ever got day 1 was the Switch and got dinned by the joycon drift. 

Anyways the way to do these pre orders and day one orders is through a lottery restricted to one shipping address and credit card entry. But retailers just don't give a damn who buys them so you get this situation. Try sony's website, at least they don't let bits do any of the order placement. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I'm trying to get one for my kids for Christmas and it's been impossible so far. I got up early on the preorder and release day but no such luck. I signed up for emails from retailers who said they'll let you know when more are in stock but I haven't received anything yet. I refuse to buy one from a reseller so it may be a disappointing Christmas this year. 

For you ... or your kids ... ha ha just kidding (kind of).   When we were kids we got an intelivision in the late 70’s.  It was awesome.   My Dad loved it.  For the next three or four years we got one video game each a year for x-mas , but my Dad was heavily in the “selection” process.    My kids are either starting university or almost done high-school now and I’ve done an amazing job of trying to pass this tradition down.   So I get the process.   

13 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Meh, I always wait a year with these systems for them to work out all the bugs plus there are usually special editions coming out a year later anyways.

Only system I ever got day 1 was the Switch and got dinned by the joycon drift. 

Anyways the way to do these pre orders and day one orders is through a lottery restricted to one shipping address and credit card entry. But retailers just don't give a damn who buys them so you get this situation. Try sony's website, at least they don't let bits do any of the order placement. 

Yep.   Remember a few people who’s original x-box lit up due to their overheating fan issues when they first came out.   Also in the past some later models let your use the previous models discs in them with PlayStation 3... so there is a definite benefit in waiting - and not just the fact they always go down in price over time.   And as long as your ok with a few spoilers game reviews can help avoid buyers remorse - same with second hand ones. 

• Cheers 1

I dunno, there's always the risk that your system winds up being buggy for a while or a dud when you get it at launch but I can't help but feel it's overblown. I bought the launch PS3 and PS4, never had issues. Ran my fat PS3 til it died, bought a new one. My og PS4 runs just fine. We'll see with the PS5, I won't actually boot it up til maybe mid December so it'll likely have been patched a bit by then. 

Are there benefits to waiting? Sure, you can buy theme marketed consoles and often buy them with more space. But with the PS5's inevitable support of expandable storage that doesn't matter so much. Additional space on subsequent consoles likely won't be super drastic, anyone who's going to fill up their space with games will likely purchase expandable storage anyway. 

Just sucks that they're not available, the local FB market prices look to be about 1-1.1k. If it weren't so close to Christmas prices would probs be lower, but sellers are gonna take advantage of parents and partners who want that perfect Christmas gift and people will pay that price. 

2 hours ago, Violator said:

Watch out if you are trying to buy a console from random people.According to the news a couple of people got jumped in Surrey after meeting up.

Thought it was the sellers that were getting robbed, or is that just what I want to believe.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:03 PM, Violator said:

Its partly the sellers fault since he didn't use much common sense

- He was outnumbered 3 to 1, thats already a red flag, I would've just walked away

- Night time and its in Surrey, thats a no go for me or anyone for that matter

Either way, good to know. Wouldn't mind getting an excuse to get in a scuffle and piledriving one of those Surrey trash on the pavement