The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes of course WC more realistic. 

Easy schedule coming up. Pbbly best in league. EP40 back team is healthy again. 

This team has solid  Center depth. EP Horvat Sutter Beagle and a great utility guy in Granlund.

They're going to have a great finish to season.

One can just feal it coming. 

Yup... go for broke this year and let the chips fall where they may.  There is room for a good old fashioned hockey trade to address one or two spots possibly, but this team is going to push for the playoffs, no stopping it.  

7 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Didnt watch the whole game as i was watching my LA RAMS beat Saints and going on to the superbowl,

but i got to watch the highlights and man canucks are rolling , Welcome back Petey !

I must have watched a different game.

We were very poor regarding just about every facet except hard work and goal tender. We managed to look like a very high draft pick contender even against a team who are at the foot of the league.

Our passing was terrible.

Our transition was terrible.

Our attempting to get out of the D zone was terrible

Our shot rate apart from PP was abysmal.

Our line changes seemed poor.

Marky is having a hell of a run going here.

He has been rock solid the last 16 games he has played, which incidentally also coincides with the time the team was getting fully healthy. 

On this kind of form, could carry us to the playoff berth. 

Brilliant.... just brilliant 

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

Saw that a couple times now....but who said it?  

Lessons in not playing fool's games.

What was clear last year was that the Sedins were still serviceable, but at 74% ozone starts were producing half of what they would have in their prime.

And so I was one of the dumb homers that actually thought a few young players might be able to manage their production in those minutes.

Add to that the very solid depth that Benning added in free agency - another top flight shutdown center who's a really solid faceoff guy - signings he was mocked widely for - and yet those bottom six guys are effectively doing precisely what the plan was - to handle the hard minutes and free up enough opportunity for the young top 6 to flourish.

So the joke is squarely on the loudmouths that wondered wtf "DimJim" was doing?   It might be a bit clearer at this point.

People may not be expecting a playoff run, but this team when healthy is clearly every bit as competitive as they were with the Sedins, with arguably better depth - so maybe people shouldn't be so surprised if they had enough idea about team-building to pretend to mock Benning's thinking on this.

This... Been thinking this for weeks now.

Huge debate going on here about the wisdom of signing bottom 6 six player (even 'only' 4th line players) to these contracts, when we had players like Archibald and Gaunce + a number of prospects that were needing spaces on the team...

Although Schaller (2x1.9) has been underwhelming both Beagle and Roussel have made up for it big time.

Great signings by JB. 

8 hours ago, Canorth said:

In a normal season I'd agree. But the first half of the season was pretty congested and saw allot of road time. I think squeezing in the world juniors, in Vancouver, was a big factor.

Playing many games from home will be probably give us a rest advantage. I'm happy to walk back that side of my statement. 

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ofcourse it matters. 

It's a huge difference. Just look at odds.

Do you think a team would have better chance to beat LA or CGY in a game. Pretty easy choice. 

No one in their right mind would rather play a top team over bottom feeders  in any sport. Not just hockey.  

Strength of schedule is huge in sports.  

200 million plus bet on sports per month. If in doubt follow the money. 

I'm either not explaining myself correctly, or we disagree with each other. 

The coach and players may strategize to [hopefully] overcome a strong opponent, but the dressing room mood won't be centered around odds like a bookie or gambler would be. They're just focusing on the game.  

Odds only matter to the colloquial 'Vegas'.

Edler has really been great this season.

Offensively he's been a lot better. He had one pointshot go off the shin pad against Detroit, and I realized that he really hadn't been having shots blocked like that in a while.

Defensively you don't really notice him as much as previous years. He's not making mistakes, he's playing a ton of minutes. 

Only thing I don't like -- that freakin' PP drop pass... 

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

Not all Bruins fans like Marchand's antics though.

Getting under guys skin to throw them off their game and being a low down, dirty, no good, cheap little rat prick are entirely different.

Also, Roussel will answer the bell. March and is a chicken $&!# turtling coward.

Spot on Marchand is a sewer rat... 

Turtling, face licking, slimy little rodent... Nothing like Roussel

12 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tim Schaller instead of Thomas Vanek is maybe one mistake Benning made.... although Vanek is more expensive per year... yet what we would have received from him this year in the way of mentoring Boeser... would have been worth it.

Also, we may be stuck with Schaller for another season of riding the bench at 1.75 million.

1.75.... just peanuts.

Regarding Vanek, wonder if it would be worth take flutter on him in the Summer, to play on EP's LW?  if nobody in the system is ready yet, and management don't wanna make a play for one of the top FA forwards?

Beagle has done his job admirably. Roussel is getting on my good side. Im trying to figure out where to put Loui though. Goldobin needs to mature a bit in his game, which is probably a bit like asking somene to act in a way that is unnatural to him. I liked some of his passing plays though.Maybe a season in the minors will help? Gaudette is on same level as Goldobin but they both need to elevate their play to make it. Works great as backups in case of injuries. A 2nd line with Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen is more to my liking then Granlund there. A 3rd line with Loui-Sutter-Granlund would make 3rd line more of a threat. Then 4th with Roussel-Beagle-Motte. Or am i overthinking things? 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We were very poor regarding just about every facet except hard work and goal tender. We managed to look like a very high draft pick contender even against a team who are at the foot of the league.

Pretty accurate.

Canucks barely beat one of the worst teams in the NHL and all many fans can do is talk about 'playoffs'. Very short sighted. IMHO Benning should still be looking to move either Tanev or Edler if he can get a 1st rdr. The up coming draft could be the last one for some time where the Canucks have any chance of drafting top 10. Yes, the prospect pool has a number of potential NHL'ers. Not enough. 

IMHO the priorities starting this season have not changed. Development, evaluation and conversion of vets to more prospects. The timeline is still 3 years out from serious CUP play. Benning should not defer player movement in a playoff effort. It is a sop to short term feel good. Claims that playoffs will 'season' the youth has a limited appeal. The existing youth who will be on a contender are likely EP, BB, Bo, Hutton, and Stecher. Maybe Mott and Leivo. Their playoff experience will start next year. 

Absolutely no player acquisition of an age over 23. The real playoffs for the org this year will be in Utica not Vancouver.     

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yet funny thing they were outplaying top teams in November but losing due to questionable goaltending, fluke plays and simply a lot of lousy luck.   Hockey is an odd game, you sometimes win when you shouldn't and vice versa.   I don't think the Canucks are "lucky" at all to be where they wake up today, they are probably still due a few points from games they don't deserve given how many games they were in/led/dominated in November and came away with diddly.   

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty accurate.

Canucks barely beat one of the worst teams in the NHL and all many fans can do is talk about 'playoffs'. Very short sighted. IMHO Benning should still be looking to move either Tanev or Edler if he can get a 1st rdr. The up coming draft could be the last one for some time where the Canucks have any chance of drafting top 10. Yes, the prospect pool has a number of potential NHL'ers. Not enough. 

IMHO the priorities starting this season have not changed. Development, evaluation and conversion of vets to more prospects. The timeline is still 3 years out from serious CUP play. Benning should not defer player movement in a playoff effort. It is a sop to short term feel good. Claims that playoffs will 'season' the youth has a limited appeal. The existing youth who will be on a contender are likely EP, BB, Bo, Hutton, and Stecher. Maybe Mott and Leivo. Their playoff experience will start next year. 

Absolutely no player acquisition of an age over 23. The real playoffs for the org this year will be in Utica not Vancouver.     

The canucks have also beat the western conference leaders twice this year as well as some other notable teams like the preds, lightning, pens. 

Some days we look really sharp, some days we don't. Thats a sign of a young team but we have something good going on here. 

Its funny when we win the errors or problems within the organization are ignored. We didn't play a full 60 minutes ……...again, and this falls on the leadership. We need more consistency and the offensive players have to produce and the rest of the team have to do their jobs EVERY GAME. The excuse on the road trip was that they were tired, I get that, but there should be no excuses now, especially AT HOME! 

I seen players with slow, uninspired line changes and one that bad line change even cost them a goal. That is inexcusable. 

Full efforts from Petey and Markstrom and not much else from everyone else for the full 60 minutes. This needs to change. If we are playing a better team last night, this game would have been over in the 1st period.

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

Their schedule is easy? Is that what someone said?

30 games in two months with 6 back to backs? Now January is easy but it is just about over. February and March, not so much.

Games are much easier to play when the playoffs are on the line. Would much rather have lots of rest in January (usually a down period with the grind of the season kicking in) and an intense two month push to close out the season. Only playing 10 games in 34 days will give them the rest needed for that two month push.

Archived