The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty accurate.

Canucks barely beat one of the worst teams in the NHL and all many fans can do is talk about 'playoffs'. Very short sighted. IMHO Benning should still be looking to move either Tanev or Edler if he can get a 1st rdr. The up coming draft could be the last one for some time where the Canucks have any chance of drafting top 10. Yes, the prospect pool has a number of potential NHL'ers. Not enough. 

IMHO the priorities starting this season have not changed. Development, evaluation and conversion of vets to more prospects. The timeline is still 3 years out from serious CUP play. Benning should not defer player movement in a playoff effort. It is a sop to short term feel good. Claims that playoffs will 'season' the youth has a limited appeal. The existing youth who will be on a contender are likely EP, BB, Bo, Hutton, and Stecher. Maybe Mott and Leivo. Their playoff experience will start next year. 

Absolutely no player acquisition of an age over 23. The real playoffs for the org this year will be in Utica not Vancouver.     

Regular occurrence for teams to play down to their opponents. Canucks clearly coasted for the first 50 minutes and then turned it on for the last 10 mins. A lot of upper end teams do that against lower end teams.

15 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its funny when we win the errors or problems within the organization are ignored. We didn't play a full 60 minutes ……...again, and this falls on the leadership. We need more consistency and the offensive players have to produce and the rest of the team have to do their jobs EVERY GAME. The excuse on the road trip was that they were tired, I get that, but there should be no excuses now, especially AT HOME! 

I seen players with slow, uninspired line changes and one that bad line change even cost them a goal. That is inexcusable. 

Full efforts from Petey and Markstrom and not much else from everyone else for the full 60 minutes. This needs to change. If we are playing a better team last night, this game would have been over in the 1st period.

Also the first time this team has been healthy for some time...a lot of line combos. Watching the game, it looked like a lot of the lines were out of sync...new line mates, new d partners, etc. With that being said, you are absolutely right in that they need to play better.

12 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Regular occurrence for teams to play down to their opponents. Canucks clearly coasted for the first 50 minutes and then turned it on for the last 10 mins. A lot of upper end teams do that against lower end teams.

This is what I am hoping we get away from. This has been going on through the Nazzy era and then the Sedins. Petey has shown that DOES NOT NEED TO HAPPEN ANYMORE!

Have some pride and at least show the HOME CROWD that you are worth the MILLIONS of dollars that you are getting paid to play a game that you love.

I have played hard in every game I have played and its not because I am getting paid but because I love playing in the games and playing my best every game. I have played games even though I was injured and again it was for the love of the game. 

I guess if you just take games as part of your employment, I guess I would take a game or games off too without much care. I want a team with a different mindset, especially going into the playoffs, because these guys unfortunately will take this work ethic with them when ever they play and that will never bring us a cup to this city anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is what I am hoping we get away from. This has been going on through the Nazzy era and then the Sedins. Petey has shown that DOES NOT NEED TO HAPPEN ANYMORE!

Have some pride and at least show the HOME CROWD that you are worth the MILLIONS of dollars that you are getting paid to play a game that you love.

I have played hard in every game I have played and its not because I am getting paid but because I love playing in the games and playing my best every game. I have played games even though I was injured and again it was for the love of the game. 

I guess if you just take games as part of your employment, I guess I would take a game or games off too without much care. I want a team with a different mindset, especially going into the playoffs, because these guys unfortunately will take this work ethic with them when ever they play and that will never bring us a cup to this city anytime soon.

Their schedule's a bit wacky.   GOGOGOGOGOGOGOTRAVELTRAVELTRAVEL!!  Then an abrupt turnaround.  Breaks in between games that are few and far between, with afternoon games thrown in for good measure.

Don't even suggest they don't care enough or are just in it for the money.

They ARE slow out of the gates but maybe they're better paced than a team that comes out flying then dies in the third?  That's what happened.

Sure, I'd like it to be more consistent overall but they won.  Let's try not to slam them too hard for getting two points and staying in the race.

As I always say...it's easier from home.  Those of us in our PJ's sipping coffee aren't out there playing.

I don't recall you...what was your jersey number?   Did you have the same amount of travel involved in your schedule?

I'm reading a lot of negative stuff about how we barely beat a bottom feeder.  They have pride too you know.

NO team is easy and sometimes the tough games come out of nowhere from teams that are trying to prove they aren't horrible.  Give some credit where it's due.

It feels like we need flawless to please the masses here.

I used to support a team that just ground out wins any way it could.  Underdogs.  It ain't always going to be picture perfect and pretty.  But, if they find a way I'm satisfied.  They ARE rebuilding...remember?   And doing just fine in my books.

Seems we're always complaining about something.  Not physical/gritty enough.  Now we're outhitting teams, playing physical and not tolerating abuse.  So it switches to not energetic enough?  Sure.

You guys are raining on my parade...I'm just trying to enjoy some hockey and celebrate a win here.

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm reading a lot of negative stuff about how we barely beat a bottom feeder.  They have pride too you know.

NO team is easy and sometimes the tough games come out of nowhere from teams that are trying to prove they aren't horrible.  Give some credit where it's due.

I used to support a team that just grinded out wins any way shape or form to almost take it all.  It ain't always going to be picture perfect and pretty.  But, if they find a way I'm satisfied.  They ARE rebuilding...remember?   And doing just fine in my books.

Which is going much better than our Alberta cousins in the Pacific Division, the Coilers. The Canuck team is finally healthy, and have one more game before the All-Star break, and hopefully Bo, Tanev, and Edler get some well deserved r and r.

New member here, not really a fully fledged Canucks-fan, but I’ve started to follow the team recently thanks to Elias Pettersson. 

A few observations from last nights game.

Dire watching really, The Canucks were pinned to their d-zone most parts of the game. No creativity or transitional play, just pointless shuffling of the puck towards the opposite end, many icings and many lost duels. 

Peteys line was the exception, it is staggering how much better he is than his surrounding. Although he had a few rough shifts the boy’s amazing and likely to keep improving second half of the season. Impressing how he never lets his head drop after a mistake and jut keeps on hustling and playing his own game. 

But many mediocre players on the roster I must say. I cringed many times when Petey was on and his team-mate kept his a head down, skated into a dead alley and threw the puck away.

Levio had a poor game I think, Brook and Petey surely deserve a better playmate but maybe I’m being unfair. And the team is in dire need of a few d-men that can skate and make plays. 

I understand Poliout been getting some heat but I thought he was pretty good all round. Gudbrandson on the other hand is poverty. Don’t see much in Virtanen either, can’t believe he was drafted so high. Sutter is a pretty poor hockey player too, especially in an attacking sense. And it’s hard to believe that L Ericsson used to rack up around 30 so goals a year. Team really could use a few more creativitive forwards too. 

Great game Markstrom.

I was totally surprised the Canucks won that game, they were outplayed so badly

The Canucks should really start listening to calls on this guy, he is not the future for this team but he could be worth an exaggerated return to some teams feeling fan pressure or desperation

26 minutes ago, Skip Spence said:

New member here, not really a fully fledged Canucks-fan, but I’ve started to follow the team recently thanks to Elias Pettersson. 

A few observations from last nights game.

Dire watching really, The Canucks were pinned to their d-zone most parts of the game. No creativity or transitional play, just pointless shuffling of the puck towards the opposite end, many icings and many lost duels. 

Peteys line was the exception, it is staggering how much better he is than his surrounding. Although he had a few rough shifts the boy’s amazing and likely to keep improving second half of the season. Impressing how he never lets his head drop after a mistake and jut keeps on hustling and playing his own game. 

But many mediocre players on the roster I must say. I cringed many times when Petey was on and his team-mate kept his a head down, skated into a dead alley and threw the puck away.

Levio had a poor game I think, Brook and Petey surely deserve a better playmate but maybe I’m being unfair. And the team is in dire need of a few d-men that can skate and make plays. 

I understand Poliout been getting some heat but I thought he was pretty good all round. Gudbrandson on the other hand is poverty. Don’t see much in Virtanen either, can’t believe he was drafted so high. Sutter is a pretty poor hockey player too, especially in an attacking sense. And it’s hard to believe that L Ericsson used to rack up around 30 so goals a year. Team really could use a few more creativitive forwards too. 

Welcome to the forum. Can you sing "Koombya"?

When the team is supported by so many old veterans they play not to lose badly. The goaltending has been ...well remarkable and has won 9 games at least IMO.

The incredible team shooting percentage is baffling some what, I guess the other goalie gets cold and dazed out, 5 goals on 15 shots?

I was watching the shot counter and the funniest thing, they count shots on offside plays, weird considering if the puck went into the net it would not count, for the longest time the Nucks were credited with 3 of these when they only had 9 shots in total. That shot counter is delayed and in error many times, blocked shots are counted sometimes.

Next year the team, as it stands now, will have 8/9 players 30 and over, 7 over 26 and only 4 under 24, project that three years and there is likely the same or more 30 and over, isn't a rebuilding team supposed to get younger? That age group of 26+ year olds just 4 years ago was jettisoned because the team needed more under 24, they didn't do that then, they signed more older players instead but is that going to happen again? 

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Great game Markstrom.

Were you equally surprised when they outplayed other teams badly in November and December and lost?   

44 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I used to support a team that just ground out wins any way it could.  Underdogs.  It ain't always going to be picture perfect and pretty.  But, if they find a way I'm satisfied.  They ARE rebuilding...remember?   And doing just fine in my books.

Seems we're always complaining about something.  Not physical/gritty enough.  Now we're outhitting teams, playing physical and not tolerating abuse.  So it switches to not energetic enough?  Sure.

You guys are raining on my parade...I'm just trying to enjoy some hockey and celebrate a win here.

There are some truly bitter fans out there who are never happy regardless of the outcome. They must be a blast to have beers with....

Why are people on here complaining about how we won a hockey game? We won,move on to the next game. Markstrom has been playing awesome and is keeping us in a position to win games for the past month. We are a much improved team in many areas and have Petterson. Anyone last summer predict this? I think not. Enjoy the ride......

59 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I gave credit where credit was due and that was Petey and Markstrom. Not because they had 1 good game but because they are CONSISTENT. 

I am not expecting flawless I am expecting a hard fought, gritty full 60 minute effort. Whether they win or lose that is all I am asking. When I see the coast to the bench I am thinking could you not make a few extra strides to get to the bench so you are not putting your team in a compromise? 

Yes they are rebuilding and that is why I am hoping they LEARN how to play with this mindset of working hard every shift and not taking the foot off the gas because you are playing an inferior team. I have watched so many Canuck games where this backfired and we lost in the past.

I like wins too but I would much rather see a win in the playoffs and if we lose, its not because we gave full effort, especially for the Home crowd fans.

7 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

Why are people on here complaining about how we won a hockey game? We won,move on to the next game. Markstrom has been playing awesome and is keeping us in a position to win games for the past month. We are a much improved team in many areas and have Petterson. Anyone last summer predict this? I think not. Enjoy the ride...…

Why worry about a Stanley Cup when we can win Presidents Cup after Presidents Cup? :lol:

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I didn't think it was nearly as lopsided as people are making it out to be.  The shots were close and I think the Canucks actually had more grade A scoring chances than the Wings, who spent a lot of time on the perimeter.

26 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Great game Markstrom.

The Canucks should really start listening to calls on this guy, he is not the future for this team but he could be worth an exaggerated return to some teams feeling fan pressure or desperation

Welcome to the forum. Can you sing "Koombya"?

When the team is supported by so many old veterans they play not to lose badly. The goaltending has been ...well remarkable and has won 9 games at least IMO.

The incredible team shooting percentage is baffling some what, I guess the other goalie gets cold and dazed out, 5 goals on 15 shots?

I was watching the shot counter and the funniest thing, they count shots on offside plays, weird considering if the puck went into the net it would not count, for the longest time the Nucks were credited with 3 of these when they only had 9 shots in total. That shot counter is delayed and in error many times, blocked shots are counted sometimes.

Next year the team, as it stands now, will have 8/9 players 30 and over, 7 over 26 and only 4 under 24, project that three years and there is likely the same or more 30 and over, isn't a rebuilding team supposed to get younger? That age group of 26+ year olds just 4 years ago was jettisoned because the team needed more under 24, they didn't do that then, they signed more older players instead but is that going to happen again? 

Guardian, is that you sh1t stirring again? 

Canucks are winning game and the feel good factor around the club haven't been this high in ages, and yet....

According to the roster given on CDC, this would be the ages starting next season...

Start of next season following players will be 30 or above: Beagle, Loui, Biega (press box) and Edler... That is all

Players aged 28-29: Schaller (place holder contract expires next year), Sutter, Tanev, Marky

Players 26-27: Baertschi, Granny, Guddy, Hutton, Leivo, Kero (Not even been used yet)

Players 24-25: Bo, Motte, Pouliot, Stecher, Goldy, Demko

Players 22-23: Brock, Gaudette, EP, Jake

Or in other words half the team will be 26 or younger when we start next season

Of players above 25, 5 are D-men (only 2 above 30) and 8 forwards of which 1 has never been used ,and one is a warm body in the press box. Think most teams D-core is quite similar of age...(bearing in mind we do expect a few of the D's to be moved over the next couple of years to make room for younger players like Hughes, Juolevi, Woo etc

On top of this there is a possibility of a few more younger players getting introduced in the next year or two, with Hughes, Lockwood, Juolevi, Dahlen etc having a chance..

I don't see a lot of difference age wise compared to other teams in the league.

And I certainly do not see which players they are holding back because of the 'older players' Canucks signed for bottom roles on the team.

Fact is it was a smart move to get players like Beagle and Roussel to do the heavy lifting, as they did not have any at the club able to do that part...yet.

Just because we don't have any 18-19 old playing, doesn't mean we are old. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty accurate.

Canucks barely beat one of the worst teams in the NHL and all many fans can do is talk about 'playoffs'. Very short sighted.    

Actually, it's not necessarily about 'sight' - if you look at the standings, that's where they sit - despite a 12 game M.A.S.H. losing streak so before you get too deep into predicting the future and the next three years, maybe balance that 'forward' looking with being more balanced and realistic about the present.   They're in a fight for 6 to 8 in the conference - so people are going to enjoy the playoff possibility whether or not the pretense of 'realism' hopes to predict timelines.  Believing they are three years away from the playoffs is no more 'realistic' than the rose glasses - it's a fool's game whether it's positive or negative.

And simply getting "a 1st" for Tanev is not good enough wadr - if all you can extract is a low percentage late 1st for Tanev - who has another year of term - that's a pass and a failure imo if he's sold for that at this point.  The pick frenzy is still overdone around here.  If this team picks in the top 10 it will be with their own pick - no bottom 10 team is going to give you that pick for a player with one year of term - that fits no one's transition wadr (well, maybe an unpredictable Arizona does something like that, you never know).

But getting all wound up over 'excessive optimism' after a game the team won but was generally outplayed (in the first 40 minutes) doesn't really strike me as any more "realistic".

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Actually, it's not necessarily about 'sight' - if you look at the standings, that's where they sit - despite a 12 game M.A.S.H. losing streak so before you get too deep into predicting the future and the next three years, maybe balance that 'forward' looking with being more balanced and realistic about the present.   They're in a fight for 6 to 8 in the conference - so people are going to enjoy the playoff possibility whether or not the pretense of 'realism' hopes to predict timelines.  Believing they are three years away from the playoffs is no more 'realistic' than the rose glasses - it's a fool's game whether it's positive or negative.

And simply getting "a 1st" for Tanev is not good enough wadr - if all you can extract is a low percentage late 1st for Tanev - who has another year of term - that's a pass and a failure imo if he's sold for that at this point.  The pick frenzy is still overdone around here.  If this team picks in the top 10 it will be with their own pick - no bottom 10 team is going to give you that pick for a player with one year of term - that fits no one's transition wadr (well, maybe an unpredictable Arizona does something like that, you never know).

But getting all wound up over 'excessive optimism' after a game the team won but was generally outplayed (in the first 40 minutes) doesn't really strike me as any more "realistic".

honestly, who cheers for their team to not be in a playoff spot?  Pathetic 

Archived