The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] They Don't Want Jake, They Want A Different Player.

For some unfathomable reason they put Jake on a checking line and then bench him. He was far from the worst player on the team, just one of the lowest contracts.

The team is small and has very little push back apart from Guddy, maybe they want Jake to fight.

I wonder if this is a pretext to trading him

Jake would be a perfect fit with McDavid, fast, can hit and win board battles, and can shoot as well as cheap.

Jake, Tanev and ? for Lucic, JP, 2020 1rst & ?.

He's fast, he can hit (sometimes) and he's great at causing turnovers. I would argue that he has below-average shot accuracy, and his passing isn't great.

If he can figure out his shot and passing, I think he could be a force. Until then, he's a prototypical 3rd liner.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

For some unfathomable reason they put Jake on a checking line and then bench him. He was far from the worst player on the team, just one of the lowest contracts.

The team is small and has very little push back apart from Guddy, maybe they want Jake to fight.

Jake would be a perfect fit with McDavid, fast, can hit and win board battles, and can shoot as well as cheap.

Jake, Tanev and Lucic for JP, 2020 1rst & ?.

I'm not sure how Lucic gets traded from the Canucks to the Oilers in that proposal but I like it.

10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Jake, Tanev and Lucic for JP, 2020 1rst & ?.

They just think he has more to give, so they are benching him. Not too much to read into, needs to be more consistent and produce when given opportunities.  

wow so much drama

jake gets benched for 1 game

so he can do a reset as his play has been falling off

and he has not yet matured into a consistent reliable nhl pro

but of course this must mean his time with the canucks is done

and of course coach and management bear all the responsibility

for failing to put him in the top 6 when he has not yet shown he deserves that

this kid is still learning

he is on a slow development path

i thought this has been fully discussed and accepted on these boards in the past ?

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Jake was paired with McD at the WJHC and produced nothing

Wasn't Jake out already with the shoulder injury or was it only just injured and not operated on yet?

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow so much drama

jake gets benched for 1 game

so he can do a reset as his play has been falling off

and he has not yet matured into a consistent reliable nhl pro

but of course this must mean his time with the canucks is done

and of course coach and management bear all the responsibility

for failing to put him in the top 6 when he has not yet shown he deserves that

this kid is still learning

he is on a slow development path

i thought this has been fully discussed and accepted on these boards in the past ?

Nope just stuff to talk about, not much else Canuck related I mean how many post can be about Pettersson or cheering for whomever?

I have always thought they pushed Jake away from what got him drafted so high. His game has been no worse than Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Boeser, ...at various times of the season but they don't get benched.

That this has been going on for years now maybe it is to set up the idea of a trade.

Shooting accuracy can be practiced on, the innate ability to outskate opponents is a god given talent.

With so little happening on the team it is not unusual to repeat topics, Horvat has been exhausted, Boeser as well, Pettersson is a hot topic every game, who else is there? Pouliot? Stecher? Other players not likely to be around in 3 or 4 years if replaced by all the super prospects?

But this team is not really likely to trade Jake, they don't trade anyone really, Hansen and Burrows? Vanek? After 2014 not many players traded, non notable. 

Very doubtful Benning trades Jake to a division rival. That could come back to bite the Canucks down the road. Then again, EDM wouldn't improve him or utilize him properly. Jake could be a nice trade piece though. My guess is they're giving Goldobin another chance, and if falters again, then Jake is back in and Goldobin is traded.

I also don't get what the OP is saying, that they don't want Jake anymore. Because he might be a healthy scratch for the first time this year? Jake was progressing well, he was utilizing his team mates, good passing, good decisions, etc. But he stopped doing that. Green just wants him to reset. Nothing to see here.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

We don't want or need Lucic for anything, return from Edm we should not be interested in

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I'm okay with our team taking time to develop a complete player in Jake.  Yes, he has the ideal skill-set to play with McDavid.  I think Jake would be an ideal winger for Pettersson and Boeser too.  Green needs Jake to become more consistent, so he can trust him every shift to compete his hardest.  Jake, to me, looks like a guy who is slowly getting it.  When he does completely mature emotionally, he will be an extremely impacting player every shift, and not just one out of 3.  

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, it's moot now since Jake looks like he'll be playing tonight. 

Just heard (Auld?) on 650 that Goldy is not good in practice and wrecks drills.  Maybe Goldy was going to play tonight, but messed up in practice?  Auld added that the players hate it when a guy wrecks the drills.  

Some young players have a strange entitlement attitude that most coaches DO NOT CARE FOR ,in fact they f@#$%ing hate it.

Both Jake and Goldy have a long way to go to become "consistent" NHL top six forwards.But unless someone offers us good return on them we can teach them the right way and they are still young so they can pick up tips from watching BO OR ELIAS and hopefully become great players for us.

Archived