The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ducks fire head coach Randy Carlyle

Murray should also take a long look in the mirror, management let go two young defenseman that fit the current bill, small, mobile and skilled in Theodore and Vatanen.  Plus they have Manson, Montour and Fowler.  One was left unprotected (head scratcher) the other was part of a lopsided trade.   Somehow they were both getting younger so they’d be ready when their core started failing (which it has except for Getzlaf, but he’s had a hard time staying healthy) and up until this year a consistent playoff threat.  Where is the team that beat EDM for the Conference Finals two years ago?  Oh wait, Vatanen and Theodore are gone and Kesler and Perry are mailing it in (at a ripe old age of say what again?).  Plus they got Rakell and Gibson too.  How many young guys do we have in our lineup in comparison, and these guys are/were battle tested, a short year away from been called contenders. 

This is now looking like a tank job but it really isn’t, that simply can’t score goals.  Still pretty good at preventing them (at least their goalie is), which makes one wonder what the heck is happening.  It was expected they’d be rebuilding soon, and they secretly have been, but I won’t be happy if they get Hughes and somehow spring back to the top of our division for another ten years.  

I do not feel bad at all for them. They’ve been too good for a while and now their stars are aging and declining (except Getz whose still got it although he’s been injury proned). Every team goes through it.

Kesler had said he wanted to go win the Stanley Cup and got shipped out to Anaheim (fair enough as they were legit at the time) but now they are dead last playing some of the most embarrassingly bad hockey in recent memory. Now Kesler says he doesn’t want to go anywhere and wants to stick around for the rebuild like he’s some kind of noble player. Yeah.. where was that loyalty with us? The guy can shove it as far as I’m concerned. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Now that the team is in complete disarray, what will it take to get Nick Ritchie off their hands?  

Ritchie   Petey   Brock

That's what I wanna see...

They need to rebuild - they need to find a way to replace their slower vets with youth.  It's doubtful they move young players unless they get an equally young player in return.  

9 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

This aged so well.

Well I for one think it was most certainly good for both parties. Kes now has one of the worst contracts in the league if not the worst. He did get a chance to play for a better team for a short while and the canucks got higher draft picks than they would have had with kes in the mix.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They need to rebuild - they need to find a way to replace their slower vets with youth.  It's doubtful they move young players unless they get an equally young player in return.  

That is true.  Obviously they would want a young piece going the other way.  Question is what young piece can we give up?  Getting a young left wing power forward to play with our superstars would go a long way to get us back in contention.  Other than Hughes and Woo I'd give up any one of our other young defencemen for Ritchie.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Now that the team is in complete disarray, what will it take to get Nick Ritchie off their hands?  

Ritchie   Petey   Brock

That's what I wanna see...

I hope Goldobin would be enough to get the convo started. The Ducks have stagnant O and one of the slowest teams in the game. Ritchie is just a whole lot of what makes them so one dimensional. At least Goldobin gives them a lil excitment. They have a similar stat line however Ritchie gives you those intangibles. 

Something along the lines of Goldy + 3rd.

14 hours ago, Darius said:

I wonder if Kesler will give Anaheim a 2 team trade list soon....maybe including an up and coming team with a good young core where he might have a chance to win in the next 2-3 years...

Kesler Silfverberg for Eriksson Granlund.

I honestly believe that makes the Canucks better.

Silfverberg Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Horvat Roussel (Would love for Baertschi to slot in that LW)
Virtanen Kesler Goldobin
Sutter Beagle Motte

Anaheim does it because Eriksson NTC runs out, and can be exposed.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Yep, time to tear it down. And they know it, Kesler is on record as saying he knows the team may start a rebuild and he wants to be part of it now...Guess he love OC and realizes his window closed. I don't have ill will towards him, as a Canuck he gave us everything he had, and the reality is, he was right (as was Torts) about the team needing to start over. Now, the one thing that screwed us was his trade list but he also earned that right, it was part of his contract, why do people hate him for what he had contractually agreed to?

That being said, they would be smart to try and move Perry for a 3rd or so to a contender who wants some depth for the playoffs (with retained salary as it still has some term), they do have some reasonably young talent still in Lindholm, Montour, Fowler is only 27, Gibson 25, Kase 23, Rackell 25, Ritchie 23, Sam Steel coming, Maxime Comtois who looks NHL ready coming and a high draft pick this year. Troy Terry looks pretty good and Max Jones was a top prospect that is developing. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them get Hughes this year (if not us), as I don't want to see Edmonton, Az, or LA to get him!

That being said, they aren't as much of a tire fire as people think, they are just having a bad year, and Getzlaf is still a monster

Archived