Mathew Barzal

58 minutes ago, rekker said:

Huh?

57 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What?

56 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can’t seem to find anything about this. 

Good trade for Nashville. 

Sorry. I remembered I dropped a Wild player from my pool with a season ending injury but it wasn't Granlund. It was Koivu.

Fenton has moved on from all the Wild's 2010 1st rounders - Niederreiter, Granlund, Coyle.  He is tearing apart the core that Fletcher built.  

Granlund is a heck of a player.  He plays a 200ft game - he is always on the right side of the puck.  Very smart and creative - the Wild's best playmaker by far.  His weakness is that he is doesn't shoot enough - he would pass even on a wide open net.  He knows it and he's got a good shot.  It's a great deal for Nashville.  He only has 1 year left and will be looking for a raise.  

As for Fiala he has so much speed and his skills are through the roof.  Laviolette says he's a game breaker.  He's very creative but too often he tries to make a fancy play and ends up turning the puck over.  It feels like it's mostly maturity.  He will likely never have the complete game of Granlund though.

Surprised it's 1-for-1.  Fiala's a good player but doesn't seem, to me, to me better than Granlund.  Maybe Fiala takes his game to another level and becomes a consistent 60-pt forward but that is pretty much what Granlund is.  I guess Fiala is faster, fits the style of play and/or fits better in the Wild's projected window?  Same age as Donato.

Great deal for the Predators though.  Crazy deep now.  Almost a brand new second line with Simmonds-Turris-Granlund (with Granlund able to play all forward positions) behind Forsberg-Johansdn-Arvidsson.  They also have Tolvanen in the minors.

Fenton is over the moon about getting Fiala who he has tried to acquire for a long time.  Apparently quite a few teams asked about Granlund but he wanted Fiala who he drafted when in Nashville.  Russo writes that the Wild had not had a game breaker since Marian Gaborik.  

Transcript via Russo in the Athletic:  “He’s electric,” Fenton said of the 22-year-old who scored a career-high 23 goals last season. “He’s got the ability to be a game-breaker, which is the thing that I find the most exciting. I’ve asked a couple people in our staff and people I know and I’ve asked them to describe Kevin and the one thing all of us have said is, ‘game-breaker.’

“He’s got an electric stick. His vision is unique. I was watching two games of his the other day. He’s got this ability to find people in really close quarters. You better be aware that it’s coming. It’s one of these things that he makes the pass and you didn’t realize that it was going to get there.”

Highlights here and Fenton talking about what they are trying to do.  For him it was a hockey trade and not about getting younger or cap space.  He says it's about the skill level and them wanting to be faster.   

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Minnesota blowing assets imo - don't like the owner or the team - and think they've been a pretender for years running.

I wouldn't argue with them retooling - but this looks like a bad deal for them imo.

Granlund - if he were expiring / a rental - might only be worth a Fiala imo - but with another year of term remaining - I would not be thrilled with this deal if I were a Wild fan.

Fiala has talent - sure - but he's still a pretty vacant player without the puck...had some meh goal and possession metrics for a relatively sheltered player on a helluva good, deep team...

The Wild imo took the larger risk in this deal imo - I think they 'should' have been able to extract a second asset out of Nashville.

Granlund is a guy you can win with now - Fiala might be in the future - not a great hockey trade imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Nash wins his trade. Fiala coming off a broken leg as well would concern me... Granlund will help score in the playoffs for Nashville. 

The broken leg was in the 2017 playoffs.  In 2017/18 he scored 23 goals and had 50 points.  He's fully recovered.

He needs to grow up and understand the difference between fancy and efficient. 

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Nash wins his trade. Fiala coming off a broken leg as well would concern me... Granlund will help score in the playoffs for Nashville. 

I wonder. I had Granlund in my hockey pool and he hasn't done much in Nashvile yet. I wonder if he has a bad playoffs of the Preds trade him on the cheap. Maybe an option for the top six and a second brother combo. The two Granlunds, the two Hughes ;)

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I wonder. I had Granlund in my hockey pool and he hasn't done much in Nashvile yet. I wonder if he has a bad playoffs of the Preds trade him on the cheap. Maybe an option for out top six and a second brother combo for us. The two Granlunds, the two Hughes ;)

Baerstchi- pettersson-boeser

Pearson-horvat-granlund

Roussell-gaudette-virtanen

Granlund-beagle-motte

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

I wonder. I had Granlund in my hockey pool and he hasn't done much in Nashvile yet. I wonder if he has a bad playoffs of the Preds trade him on the cheap. Maybe an option for out top six and a second brother combo for us. The two Granlunds, the two Hughes ;)

Yeah both players regressed a bit. But I think Granlund will rebound in the new season. He's had time to adjust. Has he been on the PP?

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah both players regressed a bit. But I think Granlund will rebound in the new season. He's had time to adjust. Has he been on the PP?

In the games I watched he had PP time. Just missed out on some second assists. Preds had some issues scoring on the PP down the stretch so may have been a team thing. 

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Have him in my pool as well... <_<

A lot of guys have trouble adjusting quickly after the TDL...then there's the whole 'his wife giving birth on the day of the trade/having a newborn' thing as well. I'd imagine he'll adjust ;)

And if not, this year, there's always next! :lol:

Archived