The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Pearson,Gaudette,Virtanen,MacEwen, Leivo,Beagle, Horvat have some size.

They don't all play agressive but they are big bodies. 

None of them are deterrents with the exception of MacEwen. But he's a rookie.

That being said, anybody hating on this trade is out to lunch. Great personaltiy and all, but man Gudbranson is atrocious. 

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

I can't speak for everyone but I hated the fact he couldn't get the puck out of his own zone!! I don't care how tough you are if you're stuck in your own zone all damn night...

It's hilarious.

41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

One misplaced Eastern player going back to thebEast for one misplaced Western player going back to the West.

Should work out for both.

Misplaced how?

Pearson had better production this year with the Penguins than he did with the Kings.

And the west is supposed to be the "heavier, tougher" conference while the east is the more "skilled, flashy" conference. How does a D-man that has a lot of trouble defending fit better in the east?

1 hour ago, Gäz said:

Just saying with Edler and Tanev being out, at least he brought some experience compared to DP, Biega, and the other guys. Not that it'll make much of a difference anyway I guess, with how dismal our D has been overall anyway. It just feels like a weird time to trade him, although I don't anticipate his play/value rebounding.

Edler back soon? I haven't heard anything. Also with Hughes coming up soon... that does make Gud more expendable and he should be bottom pairing at best on our D when healthy anyway. Glad to get Pearson out of him for sure. But God does it hurt seeing Pouliot-Biega as a second pairing.

Short term pain for long term gain. Top 10 pick is worth it.

If the lottery goes well Canucks could even get top 5 maybe if they are lucky.

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not saying I want to trade significant futures, but at some point a deal needs to be made to get us to that next level. Not saying it was here to be made today, but we can't be stuck in rebuild mode forever.

Shorthouse at least 3-4 times a game:

"And Gudbranson just launches one down the ice, this'll be icing"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

None of them are deterrents with the exception of MacEwen. But he's a rookie.

That being said, anybody hating on this trade is out to lunch. Great personaltiy and all, but man Gudbranson is atrocious. 

Not many teams have rough players or deterrents these days.

Who do Blackhawks have? Who do the Blues have really?

Does Carolina with Ferland count?

How about Dallas or Colorado the teams the Canucks are trying to beat out?

Coyotes? Nah.

Islanders have Martin,Czikas, and Clutterbuck probably the most deterrent 4th line in the league.

Sharks have Haley but he gets healthy scratched in the playoffs.

Vegas has Reaves and Carrier.

Like Schenn can fight and hit a little if it comes down to it.

I don't know maybe sign McQuaid in free agency...

Who is really out there that you are going to trade for or sign?

• Upvote 2

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Shorthouse at least 3-4 times a game:

"And Gudbranson just launches one down the ice, this'll be icing"

Which is why I'm still happy with this deal, as Gudbranson was hot garbage wrapped in the body of a hockey player.

I'm just getting tired of plugs is all. We have 5 players that could be considered 3rd line left wingers on the roster now. I know that's an area we were weak on, especially with Baer done for the year and possibly for his career, but at some point I'd like to see some actual quality come into the fold via trade and not just quantity. I'm mostly happy with Benning's drafting, as I'm not willing to simply attribute any of his draft success simply to picking high (simplistic logic), but I'm not happy at all with his trade record. Even with the trades he's won, none of them have been overly significant. They've all been sort of middling successes like Shinkaruk for Granlund. You can't expect a franchise altering move every year, but he's nearly 5 years now and there isn't much to show for it in terms of trades or signings outside of maybe Stetcher. 

Bleh. 

2 hours ago, T-Bo said:

Seems to me that tough guys are a dime a dozen in this new NHL, we could get one in a hurry if we needed one. Cheap shots on our best players can easily be converted to cheap shots on theirs in the meantime. You don’t need a tough guy for that. For what they were paying for Guddy versus the return on his performance overall, this was a decent trade.  JB will focus on defence once the season is over, as Pouliet is not coming back and Hughes and OJ will come in, maybe a free agent signing.

Really? How?

Serious question, now that the TDL is over.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Which is why I'm still happy with this deal, as Gudbranson was hot garbage wrapped in the body of a hockey player.

I'm just getting tired of plugs is all. We have 5 players that could be considered 3rd line left wingers on the roster now. I know that's an area we were weak on, especially with Baer done for the year and possibly for his career, but at some point I'd like to see some actual quality come into the fold via trade and not just quantity. I'm mostly happy with Benning's drafting, as I'm not willing to simply attribute any of his draft success simply to picking high (simplistic logic), but I'm not happy at all with his trade record. Even with the trades he's won, none of them have been overly significant. They've all been sort of middling successes like Shinkaruk for Granlund. You can't expect a franchise altering move every year, but he's nearly 5 years now and there isn't much to show for it in terms of trades or signings outside of maybe Stetcher. 

Bleh. 

We had enough of a sample size several years ago but it gets more clear by the day that Benning is not cut out to be an NHL GM.

A head scout? 100% he would be great. But when it comes to pretty much everything else, he doesn't know what he's doing.

If Pettersson wasn't the savior he looks to be, we'd be in a hell hole right now.

• Wat 2

19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

McCann at the time still solid value. Just because he didn't turn into anything doesn't mean it's okay that we threw him away for nothing.

That's like saying it would be okay if we traded Hughes away for a 7th round pick today if in 5 years it turns out he's not a very good player.

Get proper value in a trade and live with the consequences/benefits.

Don't make trades that are clearly awful from day 1 and hope the pieces you gave up don't turn out to make it look less awful.

Maybe, myself and many others were happy to see him go. RHD have always been at a premium, Guddy had some good moments with FLA and his team mates were pissed to see him go. 

• Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Maybe, myself and many others were happy to see him go. RHD have always been at a premium, Guddy had some good moments with FLA and his team mates were pissed to see him go. 

His teammates now are surely pissed to see him go, too, that doesn't mean he's a good hockey player.

RHD's might cost more than LHD's but bad D-men are bad D-men and you shouldn't pay a premium for bad players regardless of their handedness or handsomeness or whatever the hell Benning and his "pro" scouts saw in Gudbranson.

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Didn't need to wait almost 3 years to realize it was a mistake.

It was a mistake from second #1, completely baffling move from the start that never should have been made.

Would be nice to have Debrincat or Kyrou right now (not to mention McCann or maybe a draft pick in his place, which he should have been traded for).

I agree. I mean its confirmation on the part of the organization. The timing of the trade was really bad for where our team was at & they targetted the wrong player.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not saying I want to trade significant futures, but at some point a deal needs to be made to get us to that next level. Not saying it was here to be made today, but we can't be stuck in rebuild mode forever.

Yep, Benning just lied to his fan base and traded one of his “untouchables” (go back a year and listen to the guys he listed, Dahlen was one of them) for...gulp a guy that isn’t nearly as good as he was at 19.  I agree that management should consider making some trades with out futures to make the team better now, this move was NOT one of them. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2