The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Keep Edler and Tanev on the sidelines, and tank us to a top 4 pick.  Maybe keeping Guddy for the stretch (tank) run would have been better?

The stealth tank is coming to fruition. It was inevitable even with a glimmer of playoff hope. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Its kinda astonishing that some of the guys dont realize that opposing role players are a lot more hesitant to start crap when a 6 foot 5 guy that is an excellent fighter is on the ice as opposed to Biega or Pouliot.  He doesnt have to fight to provide "toughness".

Not defending him as a player...but people that imply that he provided nothing in terms of toughness need to give their head a shake.

Thank-you. 

Evidently there are a lot here who equate "toughness" with how many fights one gets into.  Real NHL toughness is being a presence and a deterrent.  That cannot be measured of course, but there simply is no denying what is seen on the ice.  Tkachuk is a behaved little boy and Lucic doesn't even look in his direction after being taken down.  Big bad Prout was supposed to elicit revenge for Hamonic.  Wilson chased Gudbranson around when he wouldn't take the bait, and got a rag-doll beat-down for his ill-advised efforts.  Players are reluctant to come into his corner, same as they were when Tryamkin was here.

Prediction -- this thread will be referenced plenty of times when the same ones cheering Gudbranson's departure start whining about the team having no pushback and other teams taking liberties at will with no repercussions.

No Gudbranson didn't play all that well here, but in fairness much of the time he was either battling or coming back from injury.  As well, he wasn't often paired with a defenceman that suited him.  Late last year he and Edler were very effective, and I was rather looking forward to next season having them reunited and with Tanev-Hughes the other pairing, leaving Hutton-Stecher as the third.  All the best to you, big man.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

I can't speak for everyone but I hated the fact he couldn't get the puck out of his own zone!! I don't care how tough you are if you're stuck in your own zone all damn night...

I seen many turnovers that were caused by our forwards that caused fast breaks into our zone also our wingers giving their D all the time in the world to make plays don’t help much.

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The stealth tank is coming to fruition. It was inevitable even with a glimmer of playoff hope. 

There's still hope.  We can always go on a 19-2 streak like Ottawa did a few years ago.  Only like a 7% chance or something according to a few rankings sites.  Whatever, I will still watch, hope we can sputter across the finish line just competing.  Competing translates to completing wins after a while.  The winger logjam is a great move.  Bunch of fringe top 6 guys with something to prove.  Hopefully one 3-4 guy comes out of it.  Expecting it on D now.  Jim expressed quite clearly that change is coming this summer.  Quinn changes a LOT about how we move forward in systems and player make up.  Expecting a big splash in UFA on either D or top wing position, and 1 or 2 competitive type UFA guys.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Prediction -- this thread will be referenced plenty of times when the same ones cheering Gudbranson's departure start whining about the team having no pushback and other teams taking liberties at will with no repercussions.

But the thing is, even with Guddy on the Canucks, the Canucks still did not have any pushback. 

And, Guddy was a seriously bad defense man.

Edit: but yes...we certainly did lose some toughness. Hopefully they can pick some up this summer somehow.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I seen many turnovers that were caused by our forwards that caused fast breaks into our zone also our wingers giving their D all the time in the world to make plays don’t help much.

what is a winger supposed to do when the defenseman looses the puck to the opposition below the hash marks? Maybe we are watching two different guys play. Personally I am glad he's gone, not because I think he is a jerk but because I think the Canucks will be better with out him. You can disagree with me all you like but even Guddy himself said he didn't play well...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was just reading the comments on the hfPenguins board about them picking up Gudbranson. Check out comments from the Pens fans (i was laughing my arse off reading them haha):

He's an absolute abortion of a hockey player.

Going to need a colossal amount of alcohol on Saturday

lol Gudbranson is signed until 2021 at a $4m AAV. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ugh, what a depressing acquisition.

No sir, I don't like it.

How do you know when you’re a bad GM: When you make a deal with Benning and he gets the better of it...

This is a catastrophe. There's no other way to put it. He's not a rental. He's MORE expensive. And he is literally the worst regularly playing defenceman in the NHL.

JR got swindled by Benning. Just let that sink in.

Maybe these dinosaurs can punch a few pucks up the ice towards our forwards?

who cares about speed and skill, it only won us back to back cups.....its all about getting TOUGH slow players who will fight!

He ain't too shabby looking, that will help 1%.

Edit: I am only on page 7 of 14 so far and am sitting here laughing out loud at the comments by the pens fans. My dog is looking at me wondering why I am laughing. Go read their board if you want a good laugh.

Ok...one more gem from a Pens fan:

Soon as NHL 19 updates the roster with Gudbranson I'm uninstalling the game.

That whole thread is pure gold, I usually don’t read other teams boards but it was worth it. I won’t miss Guddy that’s for sure 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thank-you. 

Evidently there are a lot here who equate "toughness" with how many fights one gets into.  Real NHL toughness is being a presence and a deterrent.  That cannot be measured of course, but there simply is no denying what is seen on the ice.  Tkachuk is a behaved little boy and Lucic doesn't even look in his direction after being taken down.  Big bad Prout was supposed to elicit revenge for Hamonic.  Wilson chased Gudbranson around when he wouldn't take the bait, and got a rag-doll beat-down for his ill-advised efforts.  Players are reluctant to come into his corner, same as they were when Tryamkin was here.

No Gudbranson didn't play all that well here, but in fairness much of the time he was either battling or coming back from injury.  As well, he wasn't often paired with a defenceman that suited him.  Late last year he and Edler were very effective, and I was rather looking forward to next season having them reunited and with Tanev-Hughes the other pairing, leaving Hutton-Stecher as the third.  All the best to you, big man.

I agree with your points  but I thought that this year Guds really took a step back with his on ice play. He was really, really bad. I dont know what Pitts see in him to be honest. His toughness will be missed for sure. Maybe JB thinks Tryamkin is coming back? I agree the team needs to address its toughness this off season once again. Also agree on toughness is not to be equated with fighting as in by gone days. Its mostly about pushback with some fighting or threat of a fight. 

Just now, JamesBlondage said:

what is a winger supposed to do when the defenseman looses the puck to the opposition below the hash marks? Maybe we are watching two different guys play. Personally I am glad he's gone, not because I think he is a jerk but because I think the Canucks will be better with out him. You can disagree with me all you like but even Guddy himself said he didn't play well...

I will be LMAO at the fans who were led by the Lames and Coiler fans that use this board when teams start to take liberties on our players because of the soft bunch that we are icing.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thank-you. 

Good points.

I remember how oiler fans were rejoicing when Justin Schultz got traded to Pittsburgh.  Apparently he was the worst D man in the NHL (in many of their eyes) at the time.  Sound familiar???

Schultz went from consecutive (big) minus years to like +27 and +22.  And he won a cup there to boot.  Goes to show that sometimes that systems, playing on a good team, different styles of play, can really change how a player is perceived.  Its something that the spreadsheets do not account for.  Guddy was put in over his head on a team that was not so good.  Put him on a good team with a favorable deployment and I doubt his numbers will be anywhere near as bad as they were here.

• Cheers 2

You can no longer be a tough guy in this league and not be any very good at hockey.

That is what Guddy was hear,  a tough guy that was not very good at hockey.  If he was getting paid to protect EP he was maybe worth some money but $4M.  Even then he did a lousy job of protecting EP.

I have never seen a players exit interview where even he is saying that he was a poor player for the club while he was here.  I bet he didn't say that when negotiating a contract.

If Pearson is a good winger for Bo I will be thrilled.  Still leaves us a couple wingers short as I doubt Spooner is going to bring anything other than a depth forward but hey one hole fixed and hopefully a sign of a big rebuild starting on the D.

• Cheers 1

Do people really think Tryamkin is going to come back here? Really??? He's good friends with Goldobin, and with Goldobin being the whipping boy and being scratched now all the time, you really think Tryamkin wants to come back and deal with that again.... The way Goldobin has been used this year can pretty much guarantee Tryamkin is not coming back here.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Now that i think about it, there is something i love about this trade, and trades JB has made this year. 

Move on from mistakes. Whether its sign a free agent, give a kid a shot professionally, or just realize a veteran he signed or traded for wasnt working, he has been willing to move on fairly quick after making his mind up. 

That takes a lot of guts, admitting you maybe didnt get what you were hoping for in a player. It takes a lot of guts maybe giving those veterans another chance on another team, even at the cost of possibly “not getting fair value” in a trade and “losing face”. 

He did right by del zotto and gagner, gave dahlen a shot in another organization, and realized Guddy wasnt a fit for the canucks. 

Benning has my respect. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

Good points.

I remember how oiler fans were rejoicing when Justin Schultz got traded to Pittsburgh.  Apparently he was the worst D man in the NHL (in many of their eyes) at the time.  Sound familiar???

Schultz went from consecutive (big) minus years to like +27 and +22.  And he won a cup there to boot.  Goes to show that sometimes that systems, playing on a good team, different styles of play, can really change how a player is perceived.  Its something that the spreadsheets do not account for.  Guddy was put in over his head on a team that was not so good.  Put him on a good team with a favorable deployment and I doubt his numbers will be anywhere near as bad as they were here.

Not sure I agree but it is possible.

Pens fans seem to think their D are terrible so I am not sure Guddy will do any better there.