The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

10 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't like this... who replaces him?

We need defense not forwards.

No, Gudbranson wasn't having a great year... but who fills his slot??????

With the way Guddy was playing, Luke Schenn can replace what he brought at this point.

The D needs a complete overhaul, it's not a secret. This will be Bennings final summer if he can't build up the D IMO.

4 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Apparently we got fleeced?

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby @tracegerrett 2m2 minutes ago

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby Retweeted Bob McKenzie
Pittsburgh absolutely fleeced Vancouver with this deal. Erik Gudbranson is one of the best depth defenseman that you can find on the market today. Brilliant move by GM Jim Rutherford. #NHLTradeDeadline #LetsGoPensNHLpenguins.png #CanucksNHLCanucks.png

Didn't Tsn give Erik Gudbranson the NHL's worst defenseman award on tsn 650?Wait until the Canucks beat the leafs in the Stanley cup final in 2021. Heading will read Toronto fleeced Vancouver into winning the "cup not wanted in Canada"

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You dont move someone for the sake of moving someone, you need the timing and right trading partner. Moving Gudbranson leaves glaring holes in our defensive line up and makes our team is even softer now. Adding Pearson literally does nothing for our team, the dude was already being moved around like a used car before this trade. 

Now answer me, how are we going to plug our defensive gap for the rest of the season and next season? How about team softness with our super soft team, we just traded away our toughest player. 

You do realize this likely signals management tanking the rest of the season right?

If this hurts our defense, then that likely means more losses and a higher pick.

This team isn't going to be rebuilt on deadline day. This was getting rid of a player that was not a fit, while getting a solid 15-20 third line winger for next season. 

The heavy lifting will have to be done over the summer.

• Like 1

Couple thoughts:

-  The next time Petey gets hammered... then I'll expect those who called for the Gudbranson trade to man up and acknowledge that softness has an effect

-  When the defense starts looking even more like a dumpster fire than it currently is, PLEASE don't lets hear TRADE D threads

-  Benning has clearly f*cked up in not getting a D body in return for this trade... even if that body was an AHLer... because Utica is going to be a mess

-  I really hope this trade means Tryamkin is in Bennings back pocket and is on his way to the Canucks as soon as the KHL season is done

7 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Didn't Tsn give Erik Gudbranson the NHL's worst defenseman award on tsn 650?Wait until the Canucks beat the leafs in the Stanley cup final in 2021. Heading will read Toronto fleeced Vancouver into winning the "cup not wanted in Canada"

Okay so we gave up "the best bottom pair defenseman in the league".

Even if that were true (which it's obviously not), we acquired a two time Stanley Cup champ who at one point was one of the best 2nd/3rd liners in the league.

I would say that's a pretty even swap. The only real question is can either of them regain their previous form?

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Couple thoughts:

-  The next time Petey gets hammered... then I'll expect those who called for the Gudbranson trade to man up and acknowledge that softness has an effect

Petey got hammered with Gudbranson in the lineup. No response.

/argument.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Still scares me to see Lou E on any post being compared to a prospect. lol

I just read a post about Pearson being moved around like a used car before this trade.. checked his stats he was with the Kings, who drafted him, for 6 years before he got moved to the Penguins this season lol

gotta wonder sometimes

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Would be nice to have a good RHD in the system that's close to breaking the lineup right about now.

Would have been nice to start the rebuild like 5 years ago instead of "filling the age gap"

Would have been nice.

Agree 100 percent.

I think it was a major mistake to promise Hank and Danny a solid supporting cast to try to make playoffs....

Should have told Hank and Danny that the plan was to Tank and they both could join the Tank or agree to go play somewhere else....

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Karlsson is a pipe dream

Myers will be grossly overpaid

Gardiner doesn't play the right side

Stralman is winding down his career

All of these are either unrealistic or bad targets and when you add in Benning's UFA history... it doesn't look good for us.

Hence the phrase “looking to add”, and Gardiner has played on the the right side in the past, playing with Reilly, Hainsey, and Phaneuf.

Edited by shiznak

15 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You dont move someone for the sake of moving someone, you need the timing and right trading partner. Moving Gudbranson leaves glaring holes in our defensive line up and makes our team is even softer now. Adding Pearson literally does nothing for our team, the dude was already being moved around like a used car before this trade. 

Now answer me, how are we going to plug our defensive gap for the rest of the season and next season? How about team softness with our super soft team, we just traded away our toughest player. 

Great trade even if it was a bucket of pucks coming back he was crap.

• Wat 1

While I like Gudbranson as a person, and I like how he stands up for his teammates (sometimes) the trade makes a lot of sense for Vancouver.  One defender needed to go for Hughes, and it needed to be a righty, Tanev, Stech, and Biega are all good in their roles.  Canucks with Baertschi out needed left wingers.  Pearson gives us what we need as long as he can give us what he gave the Kings that last few years

• Cheers 1