The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Not being negative for the sake of being negative. I would love to not be negative; I would love for the team to actually be good and for us to make the playoffs and have a chance at the Cup. I would love that. I would love to think/talk about a lot of our players the way I do about EP and Boeser and Stecher (all Benning guys, by the by).

Simply don't have faith in Benning given his tenure thus far.

I would have said don't trade for Gudbranson. Would have been crapped on here for suggesting that.

I would have said trade Gudbranson, don't extend him. I would have been crapped on here for suggesting that.

I would have said trade Gudbranson this past summer, his value hasn't completely tanked. I would have been crapped on for suggesting that.

"LOL you think we should trade Guddy? Our future top-4 tough two-way D-man? Why don't you watch the game instead of just playing with analytics on HF all day NERD."

Go look at the Gudbranson player discussion thread. Over the 3 years, it went from him being a fan favorite to, in the end, majority of the fan-base acknowledging he was a complete liability. There are people who could have told you that BEFORE THE TRADE. That infamous Yost article is always ragged on here... turned out to be kind of accurate.

How about acquiring Gudbranson after failing with an almost identical player in Sbisa?

I mean I can go on and on about little and big things wrong with this management group and their philosophies. Because of this, like I said, I don't have faith in their ability to lead us glory. I can be "constructive" and offer up ideas for what we should do, but those things won't be accepted here because they aren't things Lord Benning would do, and therefore they are wrong.

Like I said in the above post. I probably went a little too far in my thinking. However, I do believe it's easy for one to think they are being rational or think that others are being irrational, often times without having to prove anything (because we are lazy). We all want to hide behind a cloud of "I can't be wrong" in the end. 

I do however, think some people are more egotistical than others, from both sides of the conversation, and sometimes those egos get in the way of rational thought. Negativity becomes criticism. Positivism becomes irrationality. Or vice versa. Just keep that in mind. ;)

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I dont always agree with management but feel that JB has done a good job so far.  He has made his share of mistakes, but he is willing to fix them.  

The only issue I have with some is the endless hand wringing about his drafting.  I get it, we had terrible drafting for years.  Patrick White anyone?  

JB has done well at the table, where it matters most for a GM IMO.  

He has mixed results everywhere else.  Trades, mixed, FA,'s mixed, Coaching, mixed.  What I have seen is an improvement in all areas.  He made a mistake with WD, so he hired Green.  He botched the Eriksson signing, but did well with Beagle and Roussel.  

Trade for Guddy, traded away Guddy.  

Yet the team has new exciting young players, is improving on the ice.  Even the pundits have endorsed the youth movement here.  

IMO the only reason some still slag JB constantly and have not stopped since he was hired is because he drafted Jake two weeks on the job.   The same people who hated him then ar the same who hate him now.  

The black and white binary choice you refer too is not my choice but your point of view.   When someone only presents a negative outlook, neutral positions will appear positive.  There are some that only have negative POV on this forum.  So any position that is on the spectrum to the positive side appears binary when it is not.  

Edit

lol

apparenlty this is going to sound, errr, jerk-ish.

not supposed to be. Meant to be agreeable, but. 

Hey, great, whatever, those are your views and I’m never going to tell you to go elsewhere and post them. 

Honestly, at this point, I’m not interested in how you think Benning has done, no more than I will spare you my point of view on that topic.

I’m not looking to convince or be convinced anything about Benning. Instead, I was looking for a place to discuss the TDL as a Canucks fan. What I found instead was a bit of a troll job for anyone who may disagree with the direction management takes, in the form of this thread. I appreciate your tone and your choice of language. All solid points. I want to talk hockey and in here, it’s turning into creed or something. 

I’m certainly not going to create a cheerleader thread and say, “pro-Benning comments go here” as if to troll a demographic on here. That’s partially what I meant by binary, btw. Meh, CDC. I liked it better in the early 2000’s if I’m being honest. 

Hello, I'm here to apply for the receptionist position.

I have experience with a 257 line phone system; have a high tolerance for screeching and crying; am a multi-tasker and a problem solver and can shoot a tin can off the top of a mountainside outhouse with a BB gun from 200 yards away.

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Let me specify a bit. (And perhaps I went too far with it too)

There's different types of feedback in my opinion. I'm not saying a solution needs to be delivered, just people seem to think being critical and negative are different but they aren't.

Understood. Good call. 

I’m tapping out of this thread. 

I find ways to be positive about the team, but it’s not going to come out in this train wreck. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hey, great, whatever, those are your views and I’m never going to tell you to go elsewhere and post them. 

Honestly, at this point, I’m not interested in how you think Benning has done, no more than I will spare you my point of view on that topic.

I’m not looking to convince or be convinced anything about Benning. Instead, I was looking for a place to discuss the TDL as a Canucks fan. What I found instead was a bit of a troll job for anyone who may disagree with the direction management takes, in the form of this thread. I appreciate your tone and your choice of language. All solid points. I want to talk hockey and in here, it’s turning into creed or something. 

I’m certainly not going to create a cheerleader thread and say, “pro-Benning comments go here” as if to troll a demographic on here. That’s partially what I meant by binary, btw. Meh, CDC. I liked it better in the early 2000’s if I’m being honest. 

Did someone call you Sir or something today? I am willing to have a Snickers couriered over to you bro...

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Understood. Good call. 

I’m tapping out of this thread. 

I find ways to be positive about the team, but it’s not going to come out in this train wreck. 

Very true. The original post of this thread already set the tone. lol

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I have a high tolerance for screeching and crying; am a multi-tasker and a problem solver and can shoot a tin can off the top of a mountainside outhouse with a BB gun from 200 yards away.

Make that your Plenty of Fish profile and then invite me to your wedding. 

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Like I said in the above post. I probably went a little too far in my thinking. However, I do believe it's easy for one to think they are being rational or think that others are being irrational, often times without having to prove anything (because we are lazy). We all want to hide behind a cloud of "I can't be wrong" in the end. 

I do however, think some people are more egotistical than others, from both sides of the conversation, and sometimes those egos get in the way of rational thought. Negativity becomes criticism. Positivism becomes irrationality. Or vice versa. Just keep that in mind. ;)

Well put.

20 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Edit

lol

apparenlty this is going to sound, errr, jerk-ish.

not supposed to be. Meant to be agreeable, but. 

Cool,

For the record, you have a decent and balanced perspective IMO.  I was not referring to you with having a default negative view.  We dont agree all that much, which I enjoy.  

I liked things back then too.  I was only a lurker.  Things change, but back then even the HF boards wasn't the toxic pit it is now either.  

Vancouver fan base has unrealistic expectations of what our assets can fetch us. I’m sure that same can be said about other markets as well but may 

Raymond, Ballard and a 2nd always live in infamy. 

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Cool,

For the record, you have a decent and balanced perspective IMO.  I was not referring to you with having a default negative view.  We dont agree all that much, which I enjoy.  

I liked things back then too.  I was only a lurker.  Things change, but back then even the HF boards wasn't the toxic pit it is now either.  

Thanks. Appreciated. 

I just watched Benning's press conference. The thing that stuck out to me was how much "speed and skill" was emphasized. This was the line in Pettersson's draft year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a couple years back in the Willie Desjardins era, the line was "we want to be hardworking team that's hard to play against." 

Benning also mentioned how the speed of the game has changed the qualities he looks for in a defensemen. They have to be good skaters. Gudbranson (acquired in 2016) and especially Prust (2015) just did not have that skillset. 

Somewhere down the line Jim Benning evolved.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hello, I'm here to apply for the receptionist position.

I have experience with a 257 line phone system; have a high tolerance for screeching and crying; am a multi-tasker and a problem solver and can shoot a tin can off the top of a mountainside outhouse with a BB gun from 200 yards away.

I'll take you to DVC sometime Deb. Turn you into an Annie Oakley

fullsizeoutput_35.jpeg

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Vancouver fan base has unrealistic expectations of what our assets can fetch us. I’m sure that same can be said about other markets as well but may 

That's not unique to Vancouver fans. I'd say something like 75%+ fans of all teams, all sports are either casual fans or really only pay hardcore attention to their own team. That's what leads to those ridiculous proposals.

Tune into any sports listener call-in show in any city, it's the same stuff.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

But Raymond, Ballard and a 1st would get us a superstar. 

3 hours ago, rekker said:

JB has his share of success and failure. He isnt Chiarelli and he isnt Yzerman, somwhere in the middle. He's getting better at the job as he goes along which is promising. Love his amatuer side of things but man does he miss a lot on the pro side. 

To be fair Yzerman walked into a pretty good situation in Tampa and did a good job with it. He certainly didn't need to replace an entire team with no prospect pool to draw from. Not the over the hill, no prospect pool, train wreck Benning walked into. Edmonton on the other hand is - how many top 10, top 5 and 1st overall picks do you need to just put together a decent team? Oh about 25 or 30 or so.....

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

To be fair Yzerman walked into a pretty good situation in Tampa and did a good job with it. He certainly didn't need to replace an entire team with no prospect pool to draw from. Not the over the hill, no prospect pool, train wreck Benning walked into. Edmonton on the other hand is - how many top 10, top 5 and 1st overall picks do you need to just put together a decent team? Oh about 25 or 30 or so.....

Maybe we can pull an Edmonton and trade Virtanen to re-acquire Kesler in the offseason :bigblush:

Archived