The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Mar. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

What I see is two very talented creative players in both EP and Goldy who lack line mates that share the vision and abilities to support them. Petey is basically being asked to create offensive opportunities all by himself...carry the puck, set up teammates and be the shooter.  Goldy is very unpredictable because he sees the ice so well. Yes, he makes some dangerous plays but he also creates space and opportunity, problem is, his  line mates seldom are prepared for his passes or in position to capitalize.  

Schaller and loui for Patrick Kane.

done.

25 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i love roussel and leivo and they would be my choice to play with bo, but they are 3rd liners on good teams. i’m talking about players as good as our 3 top six.

Totally agree Joe. I would suggest that there are 3 missing top 6 players which puts undue pressure on the 3 we have. Goldy has that potential but I see no others that do, even

Baer. Perhaps Virtanen. This is a big reason why I want Benning drafting in #6 spot or higher. He could get us 2 more NHL'rs in the process, one potentially being a top 6 player.

16 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

We got pushed around early on in the game. We need to add more size, grit or guys that just go out and finish their checks. That is very much a party of playoff hockey, so best to find some guys who can do that and ship out Granny, Schaller, Eriksson, Pouliot, Sutter etc

Also, this is suppose to be a new era post Sedin softness. I dont see any young players stepping up, hitting, standing up for guys going after someone who takes a shot at your top snipers.

This team still lacks an identity, I hope soon we can be a different team. But it needs work, D needs major overhaul, need some skilled wingers for the top 6.

I dont trust JB to take us to lord stanley, see if he has a bold trade at the draft up his sleeve. Depending on draft selection, dangle that 1st round for a rhd!

I agree that the team lacks playoff toughness at this point - i would have preferred to keep Gudbranson and add more heaviness to the lineup - would have been happy to take Zack when Deadmonton was sandbagging him and he was rumoured on the trade block / willing and looking to move on.   But I think they'll look to remedy the current situation - it's not really a playoff circumstance for this team - when Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Virtanen, etc ad infinitum are out of the lineup, I think it's legitimate enough if the team lets the roster slide in the short term.

The young guys aren't really who need to step up imo for a  few reasons - the skilled young players they've focused on adding through the draft aren't necessarily the source of the team's grit - which is why I think they made moves like Gud, signed guys like Dorsett, Roussel, Schaller....and have looked to add some grit in an unsigned free agent like MacEwen, but I think for the most part that element of the team will probably come in the trade market or free agency - and probably wasn't necessarily a priority heading into the deadline.

The D is in transition - so whether they need an overhaul is debatable with a pair of high LHD picks on the way, and some good complementary pieces (Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton = all serviceable/competitive enough).  I think they're really just looking principally for who will be the right partner for Hughes - not sure that player is on the roster yet, but the summer will be interesting.

I don't consider Benning's assessment to hinge on whether he has a big trade up his sleeve or not - I think Benning's success will depend on how the players the team has been drafting develop and turn out.

51 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree that the team lacks playoff toughness at this point - i would have preferred to keep Gudbranson and add more heaviness to the lineup - would have been happy to take Zack when Deadmonton was sandbagging him and he was rumoured on the trade block / willing and looking to move on.   But I think they'll look to remedy the current situation - it's not really a playoff circumstance for this team - when Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Virtanen, etc ad infinitum are out of the lineup, I think it's legitimate enough if the team lets the roster slide in the short term.

The young guys aren't really who need to step up imo for a  few reasons - the skilled young players they've focused on adding through the draft aren't necessarily the source of the team's grit - which is why I think they made moves like Gud, signed guys like Dorsett, Roussel, Schaller....and have looked to add some grit in an unsigned free agent like MacEwen, but I think for the most part that element of the team will probably come in the trade market or free agency - and probably wasn't necessarily a priority heading into the deadline.

The D is in transition - so whether they need an overhaul is debatable with a pair of high LHD picks on the way, and some good complementary pieces (Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton = all serviceable/competitive enough).  I think they're really just looking principally for who will be the right partner for Hughes - not sure that player is on the roster yet, but the summer will be interesting.

I don't consider Benning's assessment to hinge on whether he has a big trade up his sleeve or not - I think Benning's success will depend on how the players the team has been drafting develop and turn out.

Last night an example of the Zack I wish we had.  Displayed his whole toolbox.  Soft hands, puck protection, speed, physicality and I believe I saw a verbal challenge to roussel.  He’s a prototypical playoff player imo.

i too think that jb will look for grit when it’s time, which could be argued is now, but anyway....ya the oilers definitely played us hard.  I recall one play where the Oiler nails edler into the boards and then immediately a proper hack to the shins all in one motion.  I’m not so much looking for reactionary players as I want players who initiate and play this way every game.

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the players needs to earn their right to be a grunt in Utica before they can go back to be a creative, intelligent player again...  It seems many are lost as grunts. 

That is contradictory logic.

"Hockey intelligence" isn't simply offenisve creativity - it involves remaining engaged when you don't have the puck - not floating around wating for someone else to regain possession.

The irony is that the previous poster mentioned EP as an example of this creative hockey intelligence- a player who actually commits that intelligence at all times, pursues the puck with equal aggression when he's lost possession, plays a 200ft game, dives to stop passes - does everything that it takes to be successful.

He's the perfect example that a player's "creativity" is not lost simply because they are expected  to play a grown up game and engage defensively in becoming a better player. 

EP does that - a perfect example for guys that make this pathetic excuse that developing a complete game is hampering their development and creativity.  Doing your job without the puck leads to regaining it faster, and therefore enhances actual production - anyone that doesn't get this doesn't understand the modern game wadr.

Those guys are the reverse equivalent of 'enforcers' - they are becoming extinct  - throwbacks to the 1980s where some skilled guys may have gotten away with that.

Canucks d looked the same as it looked for years slow and easy to play against. Pooalot isn’t an nhler.

Edler looks like he might hit 50 games this season.better get him locked up. 

Demko looked good, hung out to dry only a hand full of times. Which is good for this group. 

The goaltender better stand on his head every night to have a remote chance to win rebuild is right on schedule. 

Glad jim will solve all the defensive issue this summer. Lol. 

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"Hockey intelligence" isn't simply offenisve creativity - it involves remaining engaged when you don't have the puck - not floating around wating for someone else to regain possession.

The irony is that the previous poster mentioned EP as an example of this creative hockey intelligence- a player who actually commits that intelligence at all times, pursues the puck with equal aggression when he's lost possession, plays a 200ft game, dives to stop passes - does everything that it takes to be successful.

He's the perfect example that a player's "creativity" is not lost simply because they are expected  to play a grown up game and engage defensively in becoming a better player. 

EP does that - a perfect example for guys that make this pathetic excuse that developing a complete game is hampering their development and creativity.  Doing your job without the puck leads to regaining it faster, and therefore enhances actual production - anyone that doesn't get this doesn't understand the modern game wadr.

Those guys are the reverse equivalent of 'enforcers' - they are becoming extinct  - throwbacks to the 1980s where some skilled guys may have gotten away with that.

this, exactly

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Petey didn't have to grunt down in Utica. And I argue that Petey isn't fit to do a 200foot game yet. Wich means Green put too much pressure on a rookie. Let him build a few punds muscles in the summer and then unleash the beast. 

9 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Give up on the BB bashing - he's still a kid - only his 2nd season and working with injuries and a short training season. I believe he'll be fine. 

I like how Goldy has upped his game. He looks like a different player from 2 months ago. Something sunk in. Maybe Green knows how to coach? Just sayin

Demko - after the 1st period settled in nicely. You can tell he needs more game time.

I didn't think they played as well as the night before - but I imagine they were a little tired after the To game.

Oh yeah - and Vegas incoming - wonderbar

It’s not bashing 

but BB is putting the Canucks management in a tough spot now as to what his next contract looks like 

he will get paid for sure but not pastrnak or nylanders money please 

21 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Petey didn't have to grunt down in Utica. And I argue that Petey isn't fit to do a 200foot game yet. Wich means Green put too much pressure on a rookie. Let him build a few punds muscles in the summer and then unleash the beast. 

Pettersson doesn't have to 'grunt' it for obvious reasons, but the way he plays the game is not simply 'Green putting pressure on him' - at all.   Pettersson gets it - he didn't just start waking up upon arrival - he is engaged and has trememdous hockey intellect.   He's ready to play the game the right way - it's all he knows.  All that needs to catch up is the young body - which will probably keep getting stronger for the next half decade = but you don't wait for a player to pack some pounds on before 'unleashing' them to play the right way.  Pettersson will be that much better precisely because he puts the equivalent pressure on himself to excel at all parts of the game.

Guys like Dahlen should take a cue from him - a player that could make it on his talent alone - but works hard like everyone else, arguably harder than some of his team-mates.  Natural leadership vs a poor-me failing mindset.  The whole 'grunt it' thing, down in Utica is a telling frame of mind.  It's a pro hockey league, they're not Privates deployed in Afghanistan.

I've been trying to keep everyone updated on CDC of the lunacy here in Coilerville - perfect example tonight - radio shows here are talking about how the Minnesota loss helps the Oilers and how they have 2 games in hand on the Wild etc etc - Totally forgetting that Arizona also has 2 games in hand on Minnesota AND has 4 more points than the Coilers. I want the Oilers to hang in there just long enough to screw themselves out of any realistic chance at a high draft pick and then crash and burn. Yes they are 6-1-2 in their last 9 games but look who they beat for their current 4 game winning streak - Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus and us - none are top tier competition (although Columbus should be) and baring a bit of puck luck in several of those games they could be 1-3. I havent seen anything that shows me they have turned the corner and I think the Leafs will spank them tomorrow..... I wasn't too disheartened by last nights game as the Nucks definitely pushed back and hit a few posts too. I'll be curious to see how they respond against Vegas.

Archived