The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Mar. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I'm not sure I agree with you. He is talented, but almost like he skipped fundamentals and went straight to flashy. He has lots of high end talent, yet can't keep the puck on his stick, or make a decent pass, or carry the puck into the zone, or hit the net. I really don't know what to make of it. Confidence maybe. I feel like he can make an amazing move, yet doesn't think beyond that. Deke a player, then lose the puck because you didn't plan ahead. 

Where as Petey makes a move, with vision on what happens next. 

The puck usually dies on Goldy stick, you get to watch him makes some fancy deke or play before it happens.. but it still dies.

Interesting take considering if you had only watched ep’s last few games you would say his stick handling is terrible, He can’t make or receive a pass, his shot is predictable and he makes poor decisions with the puck at the blue line sometimes.

1 hour ago, ynwa said:

I agree with most of this, however I have to disagree re. Biega. Lately he's been playing pretty well, and he and Stetcher have been adding quite a bit of spark from the back end, something that everybody is hoping QH will provide in the future, however that will probably not happen immediately so we probably need a placeholder for a season or two.

I agree with everything.

However, Biega is a known commodity, and has reached his ceiling. It’s safe to say we’re in garbage time now, why not play Sautner and Brisebois the rest of way, see what we have. And when Hughes arrives, if we play Biega, we’ll have 3 defence men on the smallish side. This may work for Nashville, but it won’t work for us.

imo, we struggle the most because, after our 3 top six players, the rest of the roster looks like;

3rd liners...roussel,pearson,granlund,baertschi, spooner.

...gaudette

...virtanen,goldobin,leivo

4th liners...eriksson,schaller

...beagle,sutter

...motte, macewen

defense... no true top pairing defensemen

2nd pairing

...edler,tavev 

we need playmakers, scorers and energy guy for our top six and a true top pairing de-corp. we do have hughes.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

imo, we struggle the most because, after our 3 top six players, the rest of the roster looks like;

3rd liners...roussel,pearson,granlund,baertschi, spooner.

...gaudette

...virtanen,goldobin,leivo

4th liners...eriksson,schaller

...beagle,sutter

...motte, macewen

defense... no true top pairing defensemen

2nd pairing

...edler,tavev 

I don't know Joe but I think I would like to see Roussel get some top line minutes - I really liked him when he was playing with Bo. But for certain we have lots of 3rd and 4th liners  and really need some top line wingers.

Our D - I would like to  see Tanev dealt for a pick or prospect. Edler is missed noticably when he is out of the line up - Tanev not so much.  I have liked the Schenn - Sautner pairing . Stecher has made great strides - it's such a hodge podge of possible maybes at this point, Waiting to see what QH brings to the ice

37 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Interesting take considering if you had only watched ep’s last few games you would say his stick handling is terrible, He can’t make or receive a pass, his shot is predictable and he makes poor decisions with the puck at the blue line sometimes.

That's why I don't base an opinion on just a few games.. You need at least 5 games to decide if someones HOF material.B)

59 minutes ago, riffraff said:

What I see is two very talented creative players in both EP and Goldy who lack line mates that share the vision and abilities to support them. Petey is basically being asked to create offensive opportunities all by himself...carry the puck, set up teammates and be the shooter.  Goldy is very unpredictable because he sees the ice so well. Yes, he makes some dangerous plays but he also creates space and opportunity, problem is, his  line mates seldom are prepared for his passes or in position to capitalize.  

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

What I see is two very talented creative players in both EP and Goldy who lack line mates that share the vision and abilities to support them. Petey is basically being asked to create offensive opportunities all by himself...carry the puck, set up teammates and be the shooter.  Goldy is very unpredictable because he sees the ice so well. Yes, he makes some dangerous plays but he also creates space and opportunity, problem is, his  line mates seldom are prepared for his passes or in position to capitalize.  

Agreed.  We need 2 more top forwards, who think the game at the elite level.  I'm hoping for Jack Hughes.  

12 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Totally agree 

goldobin and EP are the most gifted players right now on the roster, if you wanna score you need more players who think on the same level. I thought having a good mental game is just pretty standard for high level team sports competition, but apparently only 2 players on the Canucks have that type of mental ability - which is insane 

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Paging Tyler Motte to fight to keep his job for next year. 

3 points in 28 games and 0 in the last 16 is not the way to do it. 

Would you rather have Loui "6 million" Eriksson in his place? Motte's the wrong guy to look at when it comes to looking for offense.

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Totally agree 

goldobin and EP are the most gifted players right now on the roster, if you wanna score you need more players who think on the same level. I thought having a good mental game is just pretty standard for high level team sports competition, but apparently only 2 players on the Canucks have that type of mental ability - which is insane 

Well, the players needs to earn their right to be a grunt in Utica before they can go back to be a creative, intelligent player again...  It seems many are lost as grunts. 

2 hours ago, Bo fan said:

I don't know Joe but I think I would like to see Roussel get some top line minutes - I really liked him when he was playing with Bo. But for certain we have lots of 3rd and 4th liners  and really need some top line wingers.

Our D - I would like to  see Tanev dealt for a pick or prospect. Edler is missed noticably when he is out of the line up - Tanev not so much.  I have liked the Schenn - Sautner pairing . Stecher has made great strides - it's such a hodge podge of possible maybes at this point, Waiting to see what QH brings to the ice

i love roussel and leivo and they would be my choice to play with bo, but they are 3rd liners on good teams. i’m talking about players as good as our 3 top six.

Archived