The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Anton Stralman on a 2 year deal; High AAV with shorter term

[proposal] Anton Stralman on a 2 year deal;  High AAV with shorter term

Given where the Canucks are as an organization (ie ascending, but still a ways to go), combined with Stralman’s age, Stralman is not the ideal guy that the Canucks should be targeting.

However, I think the following factors should be taken into consideration:

1) Leadership + Being on a championship caliber team:  Tampa may or may not win the cup this year, but that team can lay a legit claim in being considered one of the greatest teams of all-time.  Winning 60+ games is no joke, and Stralman was a significant factor in helping.   Like Beagle, he’s been in that caliber of a lockerroom and can give some insights to our young group.

2) He’s danced with Hedman and now he can dance with Hughes.  Stralman has played with the best dman in the league and so who better than Stralman to give Hughes some tips?

3) Potential for a short term deal.  One potentially huge advantage in going after a guy like Stralman, is that perhaps you can convince him to accept a two year deal.  Obviously - we’d have to entice him to accept only two years (ie High AAV + NMC, etc.), but if age starts to get the better of Stralman, it’s only a 2 year deal.  By contrast, a guy like Myers would have to be signed very long term........and if Myers’ game starts to head south quick, we could be straddled for a long time.

4) IF the above condition is met, then Woo could easily replace Stralman in two years.  It would be a very natural progression and replacement.

Edler, Stralman, and Tanev could easily be replaced by Juolevi, Woo, and Tryamkin over the coming years.  

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sorry, I've forgotten..have you explained to the BC masses why you're polluting CDC with a pic of that royal a**hole?

It’s meant to remind people to not take things too seriously and that when someone ribs you in a non personal way, it’s far more effective (and healthier) to laugh it off.   Makes life a lot easier.

I would rather stick to this topic if that’s ok.  For any more inquiries about my Messier avatar, please PM me directly.

Convince him to accept a two-year deal huh?

In what world that you live in has any UFA ever accepted a short-term deal?   The NHLPA wouldn't let it happen even if he wanted it to.

Stick to trades in video games.

57 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

It’s meant to remind people to not take things too seriously and that when someone ribs you in a non personal way, it’s far more effective (and healthier) to laugh it off.   Makes life a lot easier.

I would rather stick to this topic if that’s ok.  For any more inquiries about my Messier avatar, please PM me directly.

No inquiries necc..it's simply disrespectful towards the majority on this site(I'd imagine). Can only speak for myself(in absolutes) but it's actually distasteful, as a Canucks' fan, to even SEE that F***er's face. Out of sight(site), out of mind..as they say.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

No inquiries necc..it's simply disrespectful towards the majority on this site(I'd imagine). Can only speak for myself(in absolutes) but it's actually distasteful, as a Canucks' fan, to even SEE that F***er's face. Out of sight(site), out of mind..as they say.

You speak for me too ! Double insult is using the great name of #12 and marrying it to this avatar. Total disrespect !

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

In what world that you live in has any UFA ever accepted a short-term deal?   The NHLPA wouldn't let it happen even if he wanted it to.

Radim Vrbata?  2015?  Vancouver Canucks?  

I live on planet Earth.  You’re welcome to join us.

57 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

You speak for me too ! Double insult is using the great name of #12 and marrying it to this avatar. Total disrespect !

It also reminds us of a team being ripped apart by one players ego. If your goal is to not take things seriously. Put a road runner, or Bugs Bunny on your avatar. 

It also makes it hard to want to respond to your topics. Because your avatar makes you look like a joke. 

I think it depends how the Lightning do in the playoffs this year, dude has played 104 playoff games, 2 conference finals runs, then back to back finals losses on different teams ( Rangers 13/14 Lightning 14/15) If they go far but not all the way you better believe he will still be hungry to get over the hump.

That will be a HUGE factor in where signing, he'll have many options:

A: Cashout to highest bidder on 4-6 year deal

B: Take discount on 1-2 year deal to Cup contender

C: Middle-ground deal, similar salary to what he's on now ( 4.5M ) for 2-4 years on a middle-ground team that could be a contender 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That was 20 years ago

Get over it

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

You should change it to a pic of him winning the cup with his pals in NY ... that would really get us going...  that said I like your suggestion,  not the worst idea in the world.  We need help on the right side and two or three years with Stralman is way more palatable then 5-7 with Myers.  Fits the timeline as you’ve noted.

So two years at 8M? What will he fetch for a longer term deal? 4 years at 6.5?  Players like term and consistency, so it would have to be a substantial amount of money to shorten the term, and even then there is no guarantee.

I like the idea of Stralman on the team for sure. But he's 32, so he's probably looking for a 4 year term, which I think he'd get from several teams. So 2 years is probably not at all in the card for him. 

If Tanev is moved say at the draft, then I'd be OK with 4 years. Edler-Stralman as our 'old guy' shutdown d / mentorship group could be a heck of a lot worse. Then our younger players can compete for the 3-8 spots. 

I'd rather keep Tanev for another year than sign a 32 year old defenceman.  Also, he isn't signing for only 2 years.  It will be his last contract so some team will give him a 4 year deal I suppose.  The best case scenario is we convince Tryamkin to come back early and we package Tanev with another player in the summer for a winger. 

Luke Schenn is legit so he can play a regular role on the bottom pairing on the right side, so with Stecher there and Biega as a #8 we only need to look at one more RHD if we get rid of Tanev.  If Tryamkin doesn't come back this summer then we can always just keep Tanev one more year, as his trade value probably isn't that high right now...

4 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Mats Sundin 1 year 10 million

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] Anton Stralman on a 2 year deal;  High AAV with shorter term

Given where the Canucks are as an organization (ie ascending, but still a ways to go), combined with Stralman’s age, Stralman is not the ideal guy that the Canucks should be targeting.

However, I think the following factors should be taken into consideration:

1) Leadership + Being on a championship caliber team:  Tampa may or may not win the cup this year, but that team can lay a legit claim in being considered one of the greatest teams of all-time.  Winning 60+ games is no joke, and Stralman was a significant factor in helping.   Like Beagle, he’s been in that caliber of a lockerroom and can give some insights to our young group.

2) He’s danced with Hedman and now he can dance with Hughes.  Stralman has played with the best dman in the league and so who better than Stralman to give Hughes some tips?

3) Potential for a short term deal.  One potentially huge advantage in going after a guy like Stralman, is that perhaps you can convince him to accept a two year deal.  Obviously - we’d have to entice him to accept only two years (ie High AAV + NMC, etc.), but if age starts to get the better of Stralman, it’s only a 2 year deal.  By contrast, a guy like Myers would have to be signed very long term........and if Myers’ game starts to head south quick, we could be straddled for a long time.

4) IF the above condition is met, then Woo could easily replace Stralman in two years.  It would be a very natural progression and replacement.

Edler, Stralman, and Tanev could easily be replaced by Juolevi, Woo, and Tryamkin over the coming years.  

I actually prefer Stralman to Myers. But, Stralman has only played 47 games this year. I dont think he is going to get the sort of term he may be looking for. If he accepts a two-year deal at 4.5 million, i would look at that. Only because i think it warrants less risk, as opposed to going for a Myers or Karlsson. With the young nucleus we have now, its all about finding the right pieces to support them and help them grow into better players. Not going out and spending HUGE amounts in free agency, unless you were getting a Panarin. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Anton Stralman on a 2 year deal; High AAV with shorter term

Archived