The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Louie Eriksson and Jake Virtanen and Jim Benning

Rate this topic

CaptainLinden16

On 4/15/2019 at 4:18 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If you're basing your opinion on him not being bad just because of his defense then yes I don't. The rest of his game is trash, no way it makes up for the rest imo to say he's good or not bad.

I'm basing my opinion on his play on all three zones, which is, actually, quite good in two of them 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm basing my opinion on his play on all three zones, which is, actually, quite good in two of them 

Yeah the bench is one of his better zones he's good at, forgot about that one :P.

But seriously, even the one Zone where I give him some credit in on D I don't even think he's that good at it to be honest, he's decent but not crazy good. Just that's all he has for his game so it stands out better then the rest of his game, but I personally don't think he's that good at it he's just decent.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Yes oldnews, all major North American sports media based their opinion on a fantasy/myth I made up on this forum.  

Yeah Rugby - every major sports media shared your opinion lol - not too deluded, are you?

quote just one that thought Benning's intention was to make another Stanley Cup run.

Or quote Benning.

Good luck with that.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

IMO Benning had terrible luck with Loui.  The guy was about as consistent goal and point producer as you can get AND was a solid 2 way player AND had history with the Sedins.  I watched a lot of Loui while he was in BOS and he was a difference maker.  Played with an edge, hard on the puck and was that around the net garbage man he does so well.  That is not a bad piece to add to the team at all that needed (and still needs) consistent depth scoring.

Now to be fair Loui was getting older, so critics that were hesitant doling out money to a vet his age were right.  JB said himself they thought they would be getting a consistent 20 goal scorer out of Loui and so far he hasn't met those expectations.  I think it is also fair to say that management are justified in feeling let down and for critics to say they were right.  

I think the situation with Loui is definitely going to give Jim pause at acquiring older players with term.  I highly doubt some of the UFA's being talked about like Myers or Simmonds are high on the Canucks list for lengthy deals, but that's just me spit balling.  

I like Loui-he's a very smart hockey player and if he continues to be on the team I will cheer for him, but the role he is playing would probably better served by someone else.   I just dont see how they could move him but Ill be shocked if they manage to.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah the bench is one of his better zones he's good at, forgot about that one :P.

But seriously, even the one Zone where I give him some credit in on D I don't even think he's that good at it to be honest, he's decent but not crazy good. Just that's all he has for his game so it stands out better then the rest of his game, but I personally don't think he's that good at it he's just decent.

100% correct 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yeah Rugby - every major sports media shared your opinion lol - not too deluded, are you?

quote just one that thought Benning's intention was to make another Stanley Cup run.

Or quote Benning.

Good luck with that.

You don't remember half of CDC calling all media biased against the Canucks because we were predicted to stink for years?

Quote Benning? OK.

benning.JPG.e70e0110bad3867366ae675e50a990ef.JPG

Capture.JPG.bd492669eb25544e827c4dac4e010f78.JPG

Benning, April 2016

• Wat 1

On 4/15/2019 at 2:31 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Toronto deliberately tanked hard in 2016 but were able to turn it around quickly because they had/have competent management.

Toronto turned it around because they won the lottery and Tavares grew up as a Leafs fan. I don't give their management a lot of credit, honestly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

Not questioning his drafting. Every other factor of his managing sucks completely though but if you fanboys want to ignore it, go nuts. I know what I see and would fire him instantly.

Ok... just one question, what should Horvats contract be looking like? 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, stawns said:

This idea that JB sits back, like some bump on a log, while his scouts do all his work for him is absolutely laughable.

Too true, but even if he did, he oversaw the employment of the people considered by some to do the spade work. If so, that does make him even more of a Genius.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

You don't remember half of CDC calling all media biased against the Canucks because we were predicted to stink for years?

Quote Benning? OK.

benning.JPG.e70e0110bad3867366ae675e50a990ef.JPG

Capture.JPG.bd492669eb25544e827c4dac4e010f78.JPG

Benning, April 2016

Yawn - I could care less about your one-liner paraphrasing of 'CDC'.

Thanks for making my point though- and undermining your own - with that quote. 

It seems patently obvious when I read that - the timeline he was talking about  - clearly 4 or 5 years - is extremely distinct from the manipulative story you try to sell - of the intent/belief that they'd be re-contending immediately.   Play all the word games you want and clutch onto straw - most people understood the difference between being competitive from the get-go - and hoping/intending to contend in the longer term. 

Btw - the team did turn it around pretty quickly to competitiveness (your attempts to insert contending there are dishonest and misrepresentative) - they went to the playoffs in year one - managed to recover some value from assets that people considered buyout candidates - and proceeded on course. 

If he was 'wrong' - and needs to amend a realistic timeline to 5 or 6 or 7 years, that still has nothing to do with what you repeatedly try to imply - he was clearly talking about a significant transition period - of 5 years - ie at which point the Sedins contracts had expired / and they retired.   But, but Bennig thought a Vanek signing was going to return them to contention / kept trying to speed up / skip the rething = that to me is one cool story.

Btw who are you to laugh at Benning's projections?  Aren't you the guy that, unlike Benning's far more measured projection, proclaimed the Leafs the next-Blackhawks years ago?  They're still looking for their first playoff series win, equalling  the Canucks achievements in the Benning era thus far lol.   Premature Leaf koolaid here calling out Benning when you took the fool's game to a whole other level yourself.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mephnick said:

Toronto turned it around because they won the lottery and Tavares grew up as a Leafs fan. I don't give their management a lot of credit, honestly.

Luck plays a big part in any rebuild. But if all it took were 1st overall picks Edmonton would have  couple of Cups right now. They lucked out with Matthews but they also surrounded him with talent like Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Anderson, etc.. Edmonton lucked out with McDavid but have really only surrounded him with Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins. That's on management. 

They were already a pretty good team before Tavares. 

The only person to blame with louie is louie... JB took a shot at landing a 20-30 goal scorer veteran to a team full of AHL players. You cannot expect an AHL player to mentor your young players, and the Sedins were on their way out. It's a calculated risk jumping the line with a UFA. Didn't work. But if you watch the effort put out by #21 on a regular basis you know exactly who to blame.

As for Virtanen. I'm ok with that pick... we can all lament the development time involved here but Virtanen was a speedy hard hitting goal scoring machine in junior... pretty enticing package, never mind the howling from the fan base that the canucks had no grit or push back... He still has plenty of time to find his game and it's not like he has flatlined. Patience. Even still he is a good solid energy guy at the least...

On 4/15/2019 at 11:51 AM, ohmy said:

Yeah your right we suck! Definetly don't have one of the most exciting up and coming teams nor do we have a top 5 farm system at the moment despite not picking in the top 3 of the draft. Should have stayed with Dave Nonis, he was a keeper. Time to fire Benning and blow up the team again. Trade Petey, Boes, Bo, and Quinn before we ruin there value. Sad times for Canuck fans. 

I'd be interested to see how farm systems rank again this year. Given the well documented lack of success in Utica this season and the graduation of EP and QH, I think we're a middle of the pack farm system at best. This isn't a slight towards management, just an observation.