The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I disagree with the Masses this foward group is not the probem

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

... ya man, Cauze it sux watching the Triangle of Death, mainly built out of tanked pickz. Draft pickz suck! 

I bet TO also hatez watching Mathews, Marner, etc managing to take Boston to a game 7, with those tanked pickz. Tank4pickz, bad, like Organge Man. 

Indeed, Leafs fans have had an amazing time watching, three years straight with that capped-out "playoff death" squad they've assembled...

12 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's working great

For fans outside of the Leafs, absolutely.  Gold Jerry, GOLD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:41 PM, xereau said:

Huge upgrade that costs ZERO picks or players, is replacing Baumgartner.  This team could really use a new defensive system that involves puck pressure, puck possession, and generating offense from the back end.  Now that Quinn is here, and appears to be the real deal, hoping that this is the biggest change this off season.

Quinn will definitely help but I think the forward structure on break outs needs to be adjusted to as well. The forwards set up too far away from the D and at least one forward needs to circle back closer to the D to provide multiple passing options.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, that wasn't a bad move. LE signing was a bad move the Baertschi trade was not. There is a difference. Keep blindly hating Baertschi though, says a lot more about you than him. 

No, the LE signing cost us nothing yet. The Baertschi trade cost us our valuable 2nd rounder.

Both Baertschi and LE add nothing in our quest for the cup so therefore it’s obviously the one that cost us an asset is the bad move. Don’t see how you  Baertschi  lovers can argue otherwise. 

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 2

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair to Okposo, the vast majority of his issues stem from concussion/injury. Hard to blame a guy for that.

though........when you have concussion issues, getting into a fight probably isn't the best idea.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

No, the LE signing cost us nothing yet. The Baertschi trade cost us our valuable 2nd rounder.

Both Baertschi and LE add nothing in our quest for the cup so therefore it’s obviously the one that cost us an asset is the bad move. Don’t see how you  Baertschi  lovers can argue otherwise. 

Get over yourself. Not a “Baertschi lover” just don't see how having a top 6 forward who produces at a top 6 forward rate AND is still only 26 is a bad thing. He will still only be 28/29/30 when we are contenders again.

This isn't a bad move simple as that and if you think otherwise you're either clueless or blindly hate Baertschi take your pick...

On 4/23/2019 at 4:48 PM, stawns said:

Baer is one of the more physical fwds and probably the best of the bunch along the boards.  I don't know where this idea came from that Baer is a small, soft player.  Hes not.

He's passable in regular season.  Playoffs is a whole different game.  Baer was benched in the past for being too much on the perimeter.  I would expect when the refs put away the whistles (which they surely have) and the roughness amps up, Baer will not be very effective. 

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

Being physical doesn't mean throwing hits......hitting is barely a part of the game anymore.  Baer goes hard in the corners, hard in front of the net and hard along the boards.  He is, in my opinion, the best board player on the Canucks.

If Baer is our most physical forward, its better if we dont make the playoffs.  Have you watched any of the playing games? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Not overstating his age at all. By the time we challenge, probably in 3 years, he will be a 29 year old, concussion prone, injury prone soft forward non factor.

The 2nd round pick would be 24-25 and a much better chance at being a factor. Enough said...

Considering the average 2nd round pick results in an NHL regular about 25% of the time, I beg to differ...

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Get over yourself. Not a “Baertschi lover” just don't see how having a top 6 forward who produces at a top 6 forward rate AND is still only 26 is a bad thing. He will still only be 28/29/30 when we are contenders again.

This isn't a bad move simple as that and if you think otherwise you're either clueless or blindly hate Baertschi take your pick...

He isnt a top 6 forward though while the 2nd at least has a boxer's chance to be one . Baertschi is crap plain and simple. If anyone is clueless, it's the people that think he is good.

Calgary who got trounced in the first round with much better players than him kicked him to the curb for a reason.

Those are the facts. Sorry.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

25% still  better than what Baertschi is to us in our current state.

I get it. U don't like Sven.

Until u offer something more concrete, everything u thrown out there are just your opinion. Which is fine. But it's not facts.

Edited by Monteeun
  • Cheers 1

Wow this kind of took off didn't really expect to check in and see 150 post in my topic. 

based on my roster prediction JB just saved another 450k on the Demko signing. I should tell you guys I'm an accountant so I'm a nerd for numbers.

I never said that the forward group was set my main idea is that the primary concern - priority for this team should be finding more points from the back end. EK can do that like very few can the guy manages almost a pt per game even if he plays 60 games that 60pts from the back end we didn't have. Further A signing like EK help EP become a 100pt player sooner then later and BB become a 40 goal scorer quicker. How you may ask well EK automatically improves our PP and if you check out the top forwards in the league you will see they come from the teams generally with the best powerplays and generally there  point totals are padded by pp points. A Canuck example of this is 2010-11 season the Sedins get to 100pts Kesler passes 40 Goals and they have one of the best pp in the league and yes one of the best offensive defences as well. They generally go hand in hand.

Some people didn't like my forward lines put the lines together as you feel fit I'm sure that TG will have many line makeups I didn't set them in stone nor would I ever try.

Based on signing EK it would mean if the forward group is to get switched up it would require a trade and base on what they are already paying there forward group it would be highly prudent for them not to be signing forwards to large contracts at this point in time. IF they were to sigh a forward at 9-10 million this season and pay Brock his 7ish million this season and in 2 seasons then have to pay EP his new contract the forward defence pay ratio would be completely tossed out. My Point here is that if the Canucks are to become truly competitive they don't need to sign top end forwards the good teams who have legit 6 top 6 guys are teams that tend to have 4 forwards that have proven themselves and 2 guys on entry level contracts that are good enough to become legit top 6 forwards.  We are a little backwards due to poor drafting prior to JB so our legit guys are our young guys so now we nned our secondary draft picks to develop quickly and that's asking a lot out of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. The other option is to find possible trades for these guys and of course the price is going to be steep. 

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Ideally he's probably a good third line offensive minded, defensively responsible player who would be the offensive driver of the line but can also slide up when needed.  The guy just can't stay healthy so really, who the hell even knows 

That’s worth a 2nd rounder when he will be 29 and injury prone as hell when we finally compete? Sorry, but you guys have low standards.

I much rather have the chance at someone much better than that with a 2nd round pick. Especially so considering how many glaring holes we need to fill that Baertschi just doesn’t fill.

Sad times to be a Canucks fan when this is in any way acceptable. We can get what you just described from waivers or free agency.

Edited by Tomatoes11

5 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

That’s worth a 2nd rounder when he will be 29 and injury prone as hell when we finally compete? Sorry, but you guys have low standards.

I much rather have the chance at someone much better than that with a 2nd round pick. Especially so considering how many glaring holes we need to fill that Baertschi just doesn’t fill.

Sad times to be a Canucks fan when this is in any way acceptable. We can get what you just described from waivers or free agency.

Can I point out that around the same time, a struggling Brett Connelly was traded for 2 2nd round picks and a struggling Chris Stewart was also traded for a 2nd round pick?

Draft picks typically can rise and fall in value depending on the market at that time. Baer was kind of on par in terms of what we paid for him at the time and arguably has given us better bang for our buck per 2nd round draft pick.

It's only sad times if you are looking for things to be sad about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Whether you think Baertschi is a bad player or not, leave the injuries and concussions out of it. He didn't have these issues when the trade was made. For all we know, that supposed 2nd round pick could have injury/concussion problems as well at this point, but I guess as long as a few years younger, then it's better?

So injuries aside, there are 186 supposed top 6 NHL forwards. Baertschi's PPG puts him at 149. Is he an elite 2nd liner, probably not, but he's certainly within the production of a top 6 forward. Perhaps his production would be even better without the injuries. So unfortunately he is what he is today, which is still a top 6 productive forward with injury issues, but at the time of the trade, the potential was well worth a 2nd. I'm sure when the deal was made, they weren't thinking that they would be back competing for the playoffs 8 years later or whatever.

• Cheers 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

EK with the nice D on the 1st goal 

franchise worthy

I see you're keeping quiet now after that series.  I'll take Karlsson on my defense please.  A defenseman that makes plays.  He may give up some on defense, but he's a playmaker, future hall of famer.  I'll take that on my team anyday.

Edited by Viper007
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I see you're keeping quiet now after that series.  I'll take Karlsson on my defense please.  A defenseman that makes plays.  He may give up some on defense, but he's a playmaker, future hall of famer.  I'll take that on my team anyday.

Thanks to O'Halloran 

Asterisk win--- to quote Marchessault."It was a f&#ing joke"

Reminds me of our 5 on 3  five minute major

NHL referee Dan O’Halloran hasn’t missed working a conference final round in more than a decade, Scouting The Refs reports.

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Two referees who officiated Game 7 of the Vegas Golden Knights' series against the San Jose Sharks will not be advancing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, according to a report by Scouting the Refs.

In the report, referees Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt have been pulled from the second round. 

NHL referee Dan O’Halloran hasn’t missed working a conference final round in more than a decade, Scouting The Refs reports.

Yet, O’Halloran hasn’t been pegged to work a second-round series, the site reports.

The call sparked much controversy, and not only from Golden Knights players and their loyal fan base. It was the talk of the league. Vegas, after all, led 3-0 with less than nine minutes remaining when the penalty — arguably one of the worst in NHL playoff history — was called.

“It’s a (expletive) joke. It’s embarrassing is what it is,” forward Jonathan Marchessault said. “That call changes the whole outcome. Changes the whole future of us, the outcome of this year. It’s a joke. I’d be embarrassed if I was them.”

So much of a joke that O’Halloran and Furlatt, just like the Golden Knights, aren’t advancing.

NHL apologizes to Golden Knights for controversial penalty blunder

Edited by Hairy Kneel

On 4/25/2019 at 3:26 PM, theo5789 said:

Whether you think Baertschi is a bad player or not, leave the injuries and concussions out of it. He didn't have these issues when the trade was made. For all we know, that supposed 2nd round pick could have injury/concussion problems as well at this point, but I guess as long as a few years younger, then it's better?

So injuries aside, there are 186 supposed top 6 NHL forwards. Baertschi's PPG puts him at 149. Is he an elite 2nd liner, probably not, but he's certainly within the production of a top 6 forward. Perhaps his production would be even better without the injuries. So unfortunately he is what he is today, which is still a top 6 productive forward with injury issues, but at the time of the trade, the potential was well worth a 2nd. I'm sure when the deal was made, they weren't thinking that they would be back competing for the playoffs 8 years later or whatever.

What potential? Calgary dumped him over Mason Raymond for a reason. I think he was going on waivers if the sucker Benning and Weisbrod didn’t come along.

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Thanks to O'Halloran 

Asterisk win--- to quote Marchessault."It was a f&#ing joke"

Reminds me of our 5 on 3  five minute major

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Two referees who officiated Game 7 of the Vegas Golden Knights' series against the San Jose Sharks will not be advancing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, according to a report by Scouting the Refs.

In the report, referees Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt have been pulled from the second round. 

Yet, O’Halloran hasn’t been pegged to work a second-round series, the site reports.

The call sparked much controversy, and not only from Golden Knights players and their loyal fan base. It was the talk of the league. Vegas, after all, led 3-0 with less than nine minutes remaining when the penalty — arguably one of the worst in NHL playoff history — was called.

“It’s a (expletive) joke. It’s embarrassing is what it is,” forward Jonathan Marchessault said. “That call changes the whole outcome. Changes the whole future of us, the outcome of this year. It’s a joke. I’d be embarrassed if I was them.”

So much of a joke that O’Halloran and Furlatt, just like the Golden Knights, aren’t advancing.

NHL apologizes to Golden Knights for controversial penalty blunder

No it was definitely a blown call, but Vegas choked.  If they killed off the penalty there wouldn't even be any discussion, but they failed.  Vegas should've won game 6, they should've won game 7.  But when the time came, it was Karlsson that made the play in OT for the series winning goal.  Give me a player who rises to the occasion please.  Once again, I will take Karlsson on my team any day.

• Cheers 1